The best Hard Bop guitarists ?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by BryanMatthews, Dec 19, 2009.

1. BryanMatthews

BryanMatthews Member

Im already a huge fan of Kenny Burrell and Grant Green , I am also mesmerised by Bireli Lagrene, but Im not sure Id call him a Hard Bop player. Post here about the great Hard Bop players please, there is a wealth of music for me to explore.

2. seafoamer

seafoamer Member

Not sure what the hell "hard" bop means, but Charlie Christian is the absolute king of Bop Guitarist. Never, ever, ever to be dethroned.

3. Dog Boy

Dog Boy Member

4. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

Was Charlie Christian better than Wes Montgomery? I honestly don't know... I was under the impression that Wes took what Charlie did and then went further with it

Also, George Benson is a phenomenal guitarist in any genre including "Hard Bop"

5. shark_bite

shark_bite Member

Hard bop isn't so much a guitar thing as a horn thing for me. But I get a lot as a guitar player out of listening to fellas like Lee Morgan and Freddie Hubbard and Blue Mitchell and Hank Mobley play horns.

Of course, I get a lot out of them as a horn player too.

6. dets1

dets1 Member

i'll second that.

7. jjboogie

jjboogie Member

8. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

#1. Wes

Everybody else.

9. zzmoore

zzmoore Member

10. shark_bite

shark_bite Member

Hot dawg, I am digging that Blakely tune BIG TIME man.

11. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Hard bop, I would say Tal Farlow and Jimmy Rainey.

12. fredgarvin

fredgarvin Member

Pat Martino, when he wants to.

13. DrSax

DrSax Member

14. tbp0701

tbp0701 Member

How about Pat Martino?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GcWqKWxg5Q

Mary Osborne could bop, but the YouTube I had marked has been removed

Grant Green (with saxophonist Joe Henderson, whom I was fortunate enough to meet):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DLNGvAHHHw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBG5kK7ChLo

But, for non guitarists, so could Blakey (have to get some more of the Messengers in):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKXsnDvILmI

And Horace Silver (with Joe Henderson again):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlGvuKSq7Wk

Mingus (the pianist on this recording had one hand):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErsL1ne5PSY

I'll stop.

15. Tone Loco

Tone Loco Silver Supporting Member

16. BryanMatthews

BryanMatthews Member

SICK !!!!!

I have no issues listening to that , yet shred makes me long for a bucket into which I can vomit copiously . Fabulous playing in the clip.

17. dlguitar64

dlguitar64 Member

"Hard Bop" refers to mid 50s-early 60s jazz by Miles Davis,Art Blakey,Clifford Brown/Max Roach,and others that reflected a slightly earthier approach than the 1rst wave of beboppers(Bird,Dizzy,etc).Miles'
    recording of Walkin in 1954 is often sighted as the start of the movement away from the "cool" sound of the early 50s.IMO the prime exponents of hard bop guitar would be Wes,Kenny Burrell,Grant Green,early Pat Martino and George Benson.

18. lhallam

lhallam Member

There will eventually be a list of about every jazz gtrist in this thread, but really guys, on page 2 and no mention of Joe Pass?

19. Bebop Tom

Bebop Tom Member

Again, there is a difference between Bebop and Hard Bop. Hard Bop was a post-bebop form of jazz, with Art Blakey and Horace Silver being two well-known names from that genre. The guitarists in that style have been mentioned: Grant Green, Wes, Kenny Burrell, and then Benson and Martino later on. They phrase with less of an exaggerated swing, they use blues phrases a lot, and play off the extensions of the chords more. It is less of a frantic style than bebop, and sounds smoother and more soulful to my ears. Martino's minor conversion harmonic thinking works well for this style. Listen to some Blue Note recordings from the 50's if you are not familiar with Hard Bop. Try Blakey's 'Moanin' for starters. Bebop guitarists are numerous: Kessel, Farlow, Pass, Howard Roberts, and Raney play in that style. I hear the Charlie Christian influence pretty heavily in those guys. The differences between Hard Bop and Bebop can seem blurred, since hard bop players grew out of the bebop era. I played in a hard bop group for 16 years. It was patterned after the Art Blakey Jazz Messengers, except with me on guitar instead of having a pianist. Quite a challenge. Hard Bop compositions are more complex and tightly arranged than old Bebop tunes. Intros, horn harmonies, shout choruses, etc. Sounds like a mini big band sometimes. Horace Silver wrote many classics. Check out his Blue Note recordings as well. There is no guitar on the Blakey and Silver classics, but as a guitarist you can learn a lot from them.

20. tbp0701

tbp0701 Member

I thought of Joe Pass, but I thought he's more bop than hard bop.

----

As for the what's hard bop questions, others have pretty well discussed it, but it may help to remember that, after bop, both the west-coast "cool jazz" sound evolved (Dave Brubeck and Stan Getz), as well as the gritter, blusier, hard bop sound, probably best exemplified by Blakey's Jazz Messengers and the Farmer/Golson Jazztet (Killer Joe, anyone?). Also R&B and Motown were rising around the same time, so there seemed to be a mass cultural desire to simply groove.