• Supporting Membership Changes

The Supporting Memberships are currently being updated moving forward.

In order to coordinate giveaway drawings to the Supporting Members there will be a new alignment in the naming of the tiers. (Note: Non-Supporting (Basic) and Monthly Supporting Members can get into the drawings by mailing a postcard. Details on that will follow with a giveaway starting soon).

The pricing for each Supporting Membership level remains the same though the naming of them will change. The privileges remain the same as current but with the new name. If you are a current Supporting Member, you will be upgraded automatically for the existing term of your Supporting Membership. We are introducing a new tier with new perks.

Table here

Supporting Membership Guide

• Monthly Supporting Members will remain Supporting Members
    • Current annual Supporting Members will now be Silver Supporting Members. Perks and permissions remain the same
    • Current Silver Supporting Members will now be Gold Supporting Members
    • Current Gold Supporting Members will now be Platinum Supporting Members
    • A new level will be created - Double Platinum Supporting Members

All memberships will now have the option to remain as non-recurring memberships or choose reccuring memberships moving forward. *Note: current memberships will NOT be changed to recurring memberships.

The best headphone amp or cab simulator with AUX in

Vaibhav Joshi

The G5n has IRs built in (cannot load your own). I almost exclusively use the Bogner one, it sounds great with every amp.

The G5n hasnt received new effects since april of 2018 :(
Yeah, that's the problem. They stop updating it. :console
At the moment, I'll go for the Mooer GE 200 for better amp modelling & a good interface. The Zoom units have better effects.
And there'll be something better later on. I'm good with my pedals < 150 $ & 2 SS amps for another 100 $.

zwiefldraader

For class vintagey sounding IRs I can highly recommend CabIR.eu
They got Vintage Pre-Rola Greenies and Blues, 4x12s (Orange, Marshall, Vox, Cabs... H, M, 75Hz, 55Hz...) as well as Jensens.
They got close Mics as well as Room Mics AND some ready to go close and room Mic mix IRs with different Mic types. Giving a much more natural sound than just close mic IRs when practicing.
For having comparable Cabs with Pre-Rola Greenies I can testify their IRs being spot-on.
Customer service is immaculate and very fast and friendly response.

https://www.cabir.eu/en/

sickboy79

I just got a Suhr Reactive Load IR for that exact purpose and the stock impulses sound great and it gives you the flexibility to add your own, as well so you can really tailor it to what you need.

https://www.suhr.com/electronics/tone-tools/reactive-load-ir/

This. Best purchase I've made in a LONG time. Allows me to crank all my tube amps, play through headphones, and jam along with iTunes. LOVE IT.....as does my wife! :) Highly recommended.

borducks

Yamaha THR is the best practice set up I’ve ever had. Sounds great loud or through phones. Just enough effects and amps to keep it interesting AND it’s so simple that it actually makes me practice more. And I generally don’t have noise restrictions. It’s just really satisfying to play.

Edit: also liked the Zoom G3 series, but the THR feels better and you can get one for less than a fancy overdrive

I play 100 gigs a year, but almost all of my rehearsal / prep time at home is done by playing through headphones (urban living, kids, etc.). So I'm looking for a great sounding headphone amp / cab simulator that has an AUX in (for playing along with songs via my iPhone). Thus far, I've struck out.

The Vox amplug does the job, but sounds nasty. The Cabzues sounds good, but doesn't have an AUX in. I tried a Palmer Pocket Amp; it wasn't any better than the $30 Vox amplug.

Anything else I should try? Willing to spend money on this. And I hate computers, so don't recommend anything that requires that.
Seriously? .. Boss Micro BR or Boss JS-10

Playa

Boss Micro BR or Boss JS-10
My 5 cents: I've been using Boss micro BR 80 for 5+ years... and I've just ordered Zoom G1 Four. :rolleyes:
At a first glance, micro BR is a great small all in one unit, but...
My common disapontments with Boss are:
  • it's very hard to get a suitable sound from it. For better or worse I did it, but I'm not so happy anyway. This unit was based on technologies of ~GT6 (or GT8, I don't remember exactly). Modeling was significantly improved since that days.
  • it's not easy to practice with it: it doesn't have a simple drum machine and a looper, it doesn't have any suitable buttons for switching presets/enabling effects on the go
  • it's hard to tweak it due to the interface: small buttons and an encoder, which is not reliable
  • it's not easy to transfer backing tracks into it. One have to use a converter. But it has an AUX IN, so it's OK.
May be, micro BR may help in recording ideas, but doing that is not easy comparing with a computer. Thus, it's not my cup of tea too.
I just need a pocket kitchen device with a reasonable sound in headphones for playing with a backing track and practicing with drums/looper.
I also need fast switching presets when playing. With a floor unit it may be done much more intuitive than with a desktop device like BR.
A device should be small and simple. Just plug a guitar and play with no-brainer :)
I hope that Zoom will help me on doing that without busting the bank. :cool:

For other stuff, I have a PC with plugins and a midi controller for switching presets when playing.
Also I have a pedalboard with stompboxes and an IR player for gigs. I still like not completely digital sound, especially for overdrive/distortion.

Playa

Also, for not so limited budget, I'd recommend trying Atomic Amplifire 6 (or even 3).
It has a high quality headphone amp, and generally it sounds great.
But it doesn't have a looper and drums.
I'd prefer Atomic in the category (features + sound) / price over similar Line 6 (Yamaha), Boss and Headrush processors.
But you have to pay 7 times more than for the Zoom G1 to get a device that sounds not 7 times better. :D

that_brianm_guy

Gold Supporting Member
Anyone try an Orange Crush Mini? Headphones, aux in, a little speaker built in, and speaker out for hooking up to a cab if need be...

Quad4

Atomic Amplifire 6 works great but adding a looper in its effects loop is placed before reverb and cabs.

Not horrible but really need a firmware update to allow the effects loop to be after the cab. Until then (not holding my breath), I use Atomic Amplifire 6 -> Looper -> Rolls MX28.

Amplifire Box could be used with the Rolls to save on price and space.

mambosun92

I play 100 gigs a year, but almost all of my rehearsal / prep time at home is done by playing through headphones (urban living, kids, etc.). So I'm looking for a great sounding headphone amp / cab simulator that has an AUX in (for playing along with songs via my iPhone). Thus far, I've struck out.

The Vox amplug does the job, but sounds nasty. The Cabzues sounds good, but doesn't have an AUX in. I tried a Palmer Pocket Amp; it wasn't any better than the $30 Vox amplug.

Anything else I should try? Willing to spend money on this. And I hate computers, so don't recommend anything that requires that.
Have a look at this one:
https://www.simplifieramp.com/
It is full analog, it has aux in and you can play stereo through a very good headphones output.
I just bought one and mostly play ampless at home. I just love it.