"The Best IR in the World"

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by PB26, Nov 11, 2019.

1. PB26

PB26 Member

So I was looking at YouTube videos comparing the AXIII and the XL and I stumbled upon a video that does a great job of it, but what got me was the IR he was using, which he calls "The Best IR in the World." I could only laugh, but then I thought, why the hell not, just give it a whirl. Like many of you, I have a library of these things from a lot of vendors, and I know this is all personal preference, but I'll be damned, as far as my own tastes are concerned, this free IR is in fact "The Best IR in the World." I have a few IRs I really like, but each one has just that tiny little something I would change. I can honestly say I wouldn't change a thing about this free one. Doesn't seem to matter which VST I pair it with, it's always just....the best.

Anyway, I'm probably late to the party on this, but if you haven't seen it, here it is -- download is in the description.....

Gasp100 likes this.
  2. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Trumpets and Tants Supporting Member

I immediately avoid things that proclaim themselves as the best in the world.

csweldon and Hank Habanero like this.
  3. JiveTurkey

But beyond that; it's cool when you find an IR that works for you. So congrats on that aspect :D

PB26 likes this.
  4. PB26

PB26 Member

That was my instinct, and it's a bit cheesy for sure (undoubtedly deliberate), but what is shaping up to be some medium- to long-term relief from the IR rabbit hole sure is nice.

JiveTurkey likes this.
  5. JiveTurkey

Yeah if you can avoid that trap you are infinitely ahead of the game :worried

6. rd2rk

rd2rk Member

Of course I had to try THE BEST IR IN THE WORLD!
    I loaded it into my Helix and matched it up with a Brit 2204.
    For comparison I loaded the 2204 with the default cab (4x12 1960 T75).
    The stock cab wasn't as loud, so I boosted the output level.
    The difference between the two was....meh.
    I switched out the default 409 for a 421 and added a little early reflections.
    The difference was night and day. The BEST IR IN THE WORLD sounded dead and dull in comparison. Helix for the win!

JiveTurkey likes this.
  7. the swede

the swede Member

Mikko does things with a smile... i know its a agressive statement he made, probably with pun intended.

But its a good IR to say the least.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  8. intrinsic153

intrinsic153 Member

Having tried the IR, though it's not my absolute favorite, ML Sound Lab still indeed makes some very quality stuffs.

9. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

It may not be the best IR in the world, but it's good marketing.

rd2rk, the swede and Elric like this.
  10. PB26

PB26 Member

I can see that. I don't think I would use this IR for clean or mid-gain AC/DC type stuff. What I find it does is smooth out the inherent harshness in the highs and high mids on high-gain patches. With a tube screamer I only have the gain on 4 or 4.5 for my metal tones, but there is still that harshness up there. To my ear, this IR effectively bakes in the post-EQ that I would (attempt to) do on my tracks, which is a godsend for me because I have neither the ear nor the skill of a trained audio engineer.

Rocco Crocco likes this.
  11. RockManDan

RockManDan Member

My story was similar to yours. Was skeptical at first, but as soon as I tried it, it worked great. I use it exclusively in my helix. For me, despite being a hard rock guy, I can't stand overly aggressive and bright tones. Maybe those sizzly IR's sound great over studio monitors at 80db, but in a live music venue, where the PAs tend to be tuned very bright as a result of hearing-damaged sound guys, that standard 'mic the center of the speaker' method just makes everything so bright and harsh. Same goes for my IEMs. I use the 'best IR in the world' and it goes to FOH and to my ears, and I like that its a full tone that doesnt take your head off. I get a lot of comments from almost every venue sound guy "man you got that tone dialed IN" and I credit that IR for a lot of it, plus the fact that I sculpt ALOT of upper mids and highs out of my sound. It allows me to be turned up way more in volume before people go "OK, thats enough guitar, damn" and cover their ears.

Gasp100 and PB26 like this.
  12. Pat6969

Pat6969 Supporting Member

Good marketing would have been calling it that and then charging $9.99 for it. Undoubtedly every modeler junkie wouldn't have been able to contain themselves and bought it since it was the best in the world. He'd have made thousands!

JiveTurkey likes this.
  13. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

14. RockManDan

RockManDan Member

Agreed. When i mix down the multitracks of our shows, i usually have to add a bit of highs back in. But for live purposes in a loud band? It's perfect. Granted I'm the only guitar, so I'm not competing with anyone else for that sonic space, but still.

Doode likes this.
  15. MojoRisin

MojoRisin Member

More like the best IR of the moment. And that moment was a brief 15 minutes sometime last spring.

From what I can gather it was kind of a tongue in cheek response to the hype that surrounded Jay’s “C” IR.

Now I’m just waiting for the threads proclaiming Leon’s IRs to be the best ever. Free IRs are always the best.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  16. Jay Mitchell

Jay Mitchell Member

No. Clark shared that IR on the FAS forum several years ago. It had nothing to do with my work.

17. MojoRisin

MojoRisin Member

I stand corrected. The way you two have gone at it I guess I just assumed it was related.

18. PB26

PB26 Member

I actually want to hate the free IRs to justify all the coin I've spent on the others.

Doode likes this.
  19. MojoRisin

MojoRisin Member

I hear that. There are a few diamonds in the rough, but many of the ones I’ve bought are useless to me.

I did get a better respect for what it takes to make a really good one this past weekend. I was trying my hand at making some stereo reverb IRs of spaces in my house with limited success, mostly because of the cheap equipment I was using. Once I get that all sorted out I may try some cab responses.

Rather than everybody releasing their own IRs, I’d prefer to see some quality instruction on techniques to capture and master your own. That’s something I’d be willing to pay for. Maybe an online course or a book.

20. eclecto-acoustic

eclecto-acoustic Supporting Member

I am excited to watch whatever gymnastics you are about to perform to avoid yourself.

sixeight and JiveTurkey like this.