The best jazz amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by guitarjunky, Mar 16, 2008.

1. guitarjunky

guitarjunky Member

Can you point me to the best amps for jazz?

Thanks!!!

2. 6120

6120 Member

The Carr Rambler works real nice, great cleans, lush deep sounding. The Fender Twin also works great. Many jazz players prefer solid state amps , but I think it is because they are lighter and easier to move around. I would go with a tube amp. What is your budget and how much will you be moving it around?

3. guitarjunky

guitarjunky Member

I'm trying to figure out all the brands that are used for jazz. Budget is not an issue. I like to find out of the ones that have a good reputation, the affordable ones as well as the more expensive.

4. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

I think more jazz guitarists have relatively recently begun to give more consideration to tube amps. Through the 70's, 80's and 90's ultra clean solid state amps had pretty much dominated the jazz scene. I can't prove it but it seems more of my jazz brothers are opting for tube warmth, just like their pre-70's predecessors. John Scofield began using tube amps several years ago. I mean, just listen to Grant Green's luscious tone. IMHO it just creams most solid state amps when it comes to "warm fuzziness". Rich upper harmonics are something else the solid state jazz amps tend to lack. Anyway, just an observation more than anything else.

Tom

5. pinner

pinner Silver Supporting Member

Here is a quick list of whats out there.

Solid State Heads/Combos
    Acoustic Image
    head- Clarus (i have-nice and compact great sound for SS)
    Combo- Corus
    Evans
    Polytone
    Combo - mini brute
    Fender
    Head -Jazz master ultralight head
    Aer
    Combo - Compact 60
    Henriksen JazzAmp (both heads, cabinets and combos)
    Jazzamp
    Roland Cube - the originals are still being used

Cabinets for heads above
    Raezer's edge (I have the NY8 - Huge sound for 8 inch speakers Great small package with the Acoustic Image if extreme portability is an issue)
    Redstone Audio
    Leonardo Custom Cabinets

Tube (alot of options as tube gives that natural warmth/mojo Much more then listed here)
    Fender - Many many options- Twin Reverb, Super reverb etc.
    Allesandro - Comins Jazz amp
    Fuchs - I like my ODS mod better than my Clarus / RE but way bigger - They used to make a jazz dedicated amp
    Rivera - Jazz Suprema - Special designed jazz amp
    Bruno
    Heritage - Kenny Burrell model
    Glaswerks
    Standel (wes)

Good Luck!!

6. guitarjunky

guitarjunky Member

Thanks a lot!!! You are awesome!

7. jzgtrguy

jzgtrguy Member

Great list! I've played extensivley on a Polytone Minibrute IV and an Evan JE200 and they were both great amps. IMHO the polytone was a little sweeter. I liked them both.

The only amps I would add to your list is a Bill Comins Jazz amp which he developed with Alesandro. www.cominsguitars.com

Out,

Jeff

8. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

carr doesn't work for loud gigs. Sounds good behind a singer or in quiet trios though.

9. doc

doc Member

I would add a couple; most vintage Ampegs are great jazz amps, and several of the vintage Gibsons. Some of the newer Gibsons are probably good choices as well. Probably my vote for greatest recorded jazz tone goes to Jim Hall on the Live album - I think there he used a D'Angelico into a Gibson L-50.

10. nasonm

nasonm Supporting Member

for solid state, you can't beat a Roland JC-120 or JC-90.

11. kram21

kram21 Member

any amp will do;you just need to pay close attention to the tone controls on both the amp and the guitar.

12. Unburst

Unburst Member

Hard to beat a BF Fender Pro.

13. KRosser

KRosser Member

A student of mine has a 1X15 Webb combo - it's a solid-state pedal steel amp and it sounds killer for clean jazz tones. It's funny - when I played with Redd Volkaert he was using a 1x15 solid-state pedal steel amp as well and he sounded so full and clear....

Maybe these guys are onto somethin'....

14. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Another vote for the old Ampegs. Lots of way cool and famous stuff recorded on Ampeg Gemini I amps, for example. The 15" Geminis would do just as well. I'd also take any of several tweed pro types and/or lo power tweed twins, not that I can actually play jazz.

15. fusebop

fusebop Member

Does anybody know if high-grade bass amplifiers
    can be used for jazz on electric guitar?

For example, Trace Elliott with their detailed gain/compression/eq...

I'm asking because I know some amps (like acoustic image stuff and
    polytones) work for both instruments.

16. Reissueplayer

Reissueplayer Member

A really good solid state amp for jazz is the Yamaha G210. I much prefer it to the Polytones I've owned. It sounds excellent to about halfway on the volume thanks to solid warm lower mids.

But if you go solid state, there is something to be said for headroom and power. You need more than you'll use. Maybe thats why Acoustic Image amps are popular.

17. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Of course. I'm currently using (in addition to an AI Clarus) a Markbass LMII head. It's very cheap and about 3x the power of any of the guitar heads I have played through. Very light too (~6lbs)

Unlike the AI stuff , it is not a class D amp but uses a computer style power supply to save on weight.