The Best Klon Centaur Clones

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sputnik33, Dec 7, 2017.

1. sputnik33

sputnik33 Member

The Best Klon Centaur Clones

When the Klon Centaur was released in 1994,
    it became the first “transparent” overdrive pedal available on the market
    The price point for most players could afford, Expensive a lot !

What are the best Klon Centaur clones on the market you play people ?

2. zsno

zsno Supporting Member

Please use the search feature, this thread has been done a million times...:horse

That said... KTR, Aluminum Falcon, Tumnus(Deluxe), Clontarf Lapith, Rimrock Mythical OD, the list goes on...

Blues Wail, sputnik33 and AceBSpankin like this.
  3. manticorefx

manticorefx Supporting Member

I've heard that the Manchest Horsebutt is the the only klone that really nails it.

4. HesNot

HesNot Member

5. uab9253

uab9253 Member

I'm relatively new here but I was thinking the same thing!

sputnik33 likes this.
  6. b80

b80 Member

I use the Klon KTR. I figured I'd go to the source for my Klon needs. I have tried both of the J Rockett Archer options and loved them, especially the Silver version. I'd like to try the Arc Effects Klone and Mythos Mjolnir next.

7. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

I thought the Dickbutt was the best.

yoyo1983 and valvestate like this.
  8. Sacrifice

Sacrifice Member

I'll go get the second batch started. We gonna need it.

9. bubbler

bubbler Member

I'm not an aficionado of the klon but I can say that the tone city bad horse (I got mine for about $40) is pretty darn good, esp. if you're using a good amp.

10. LeicaBossNJ

LeicaBossNJ Silver Supporting Member

I have no idea if the Mythical Overdrive sounds like a Klon, but I found a used "TGP" special edition and it is a fantastic pedal.

Forget "transparent" - I turn the gain up and let it do its thing.

11. kingbee

kingbee Supporting Member

Just received a Ceriatone Centura. Sounds great!

Cruciform, JK1965, valvestate and 3 others like this.
  12. eSS eSS

eSS eSS Member

13. snow and steel

snow and steel Supporting Member

I have a gold klon, a Silver klon, and a KTR.

I have played 4 different gold klons side by side through the same rig. They all sound subtly different. Why? Parts tolerance.

I have amassed an embarrassingly large box full of klones trying to find the same sound out of gold klon, but in a box that would be replaceable if some drunk dumped his beer on my board - and they all fell flat until I found the Rimrock Mythical Overdrive. Many klones are close, and some are wildly different [the Soul food, for example is WILDLY off the original schematic]. Once I latched onto the MO, I worked with Ken to chase down some "wish list" items that became the "vintage Spec" [well, Ken did the work and I tested, listened, complained, wrung my hands, tested some more, and requested things, lol]. The final result is, to my ears, the perfect gigging pedal.

Regarding standard MO vs "vintage Spec" MO;
    Standard specs included changes made to the circuit by Ken to better supported the dual diode design of the MO. The vintage spec was something I requested from Ken to better replicate my particular gold klon. It is worth a note - not "the" gold klon tone - my gold klon tone; because they all sound slightly different to my ears. I have played several large box klons [gold and silver] side by side on several occasions and found that while they all have a similar tone, each one is slightly unique - the joy of something handmade I suspect. Parts tolerance, how the guy was feeling on the day he made it, what shape his ears were in - all a factor. We worked diligently over 4 different prototypes or so, to perfect that sound. Vintage specs minimize the number of changes, along with a few subtle tweaks to reach a desired end result in sound. Are these tweaks exactly per '94 specs? I'm not sure, but its doubtful since no one but bill REALLY knows those specs, and some of my requests sort of flew in the face of conventional wisdom. The community has done a LOT of "backwards engineering" to try to get it right and yet every time someone does they show off a "new" schematic - so the truth is we don't know and may never know. What I can tell you is that ultimately the end result is the deciding factor - I really could care less how I achieve the sound as long as I achieve the sound. What was finally delivered to me not only hit the points of what I was looking for but actually improved on some things [for me].

Over time I have talked about [raved about?] what we dubbed the "Vintage Spec" variant [and has sort of become the "Snow and Steel Vintage Spec" or "S&S Vintage spec" although Ken really did all the hard work - I did more testing, analysis and comparisons to my units]. People would ask what this variant was, and why would someone want it, and after explaining it, they decided they wanted to try that too. As more sold in that form, it became a sort of "thing" and now people request it by name. All of this culminated into the most recent batch which were all specifically built to those specs.

Having compared [and in many cases owned] nearly every klone you can think of to all my actual Klon units I will say this; I'm selling off Klones, my klons now all sit in storage, and I gig and actually prefer my MO's. Take that for what its worth.

Gibson Les Paul [neck pickup] - into VSMO, MXR carbon copy delay, onto a clean amp. Completely live clip from a show - you can actually hear audience noise if you listen close.

This one is Gibson Les Paul [bridge pickup - Seymour Duncan '59] into the "Vintage Spec Mythical Overdrive". into an amp that is running full tilt. This is also a completely live clip from a show.

Both of these clips are presented with no EQ or adjustment, only edited for time. Enjoy!

mcuguitar, cheapgtrs, Beto and 15 others like this.
  14. TheSpricket

TheSpricket Member

I'm not against beating a dead horse.

I was so taken by the Soul Food that I upgraded for a Pedal Monsters Klone, that I happened upon, and I'm pretty satisfied. I'd be into checking out and ABing it against an Ikon Archer. I could totally hear a difference from the SF. It sounded great but more compressed and less open than the Klone, which is supposed to be a pretty damn good facsimile to the orig. At least from what I've read and seen in comparison videos. You can also get one for less than $130 so it may be the best klon bang for the klon buck.

There are a few great and rather extensive videos on youtube on several different klones compared against each other and the original. I'm too lazy to search youtube for you to post a link.

Ben Furman likes this.
  15. SoundsGood

SoundsGood Member

I've owned two still have one. The Vintage Spec MO. It's amazing. I'm no pro but I love it.

Fretlessbaby likes this.
  16. minty901

minty901 Member

the centaur isnt transparent. transparent is just a buzz word. and a stupid one at that, because why would you praise an effect for not having an effect? the beauty of the centaur is in how it shapes your mids and how the clipping sounds. it doesnt have that mid shaping with the gain off, so in that specific setting it can be said to be transparent, but you know what else is transparent? turning the pedal off.

i dream of a day when buzz words in the guitar world are a distant memory.

17. Major Dude

Major Dude Supporting Member

What is a Klon Centaur?

18. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

I bought one Klone (CircuitRider FX made by a TGP member) for cheap, after resisting Klones for years, and I really liked it. It had a nice open sound and the breakup was nice although it thinned out the tone just a tiny bit.

Then I bought another TGP fave Klone assuming that the sound would be quite similar ...and I did not like the EQ at all.

Rinse, lather, repeat ...not so good.
    Bondi Sick As - pushed upper mids too much
    Chellee Pony Boy - hard sounding
    RYRA - EQ was too scooped
    Wampler Tumnus - low end overwhelm
    Rimrock Lil Mo - rather muddy upper mids
    BYOC Silver Pony - actually pretty good, mids a bit scooped

Overall, my CircuitRider FX Klone just sounds better to me.

The only Klone that that I've tried that seems equal to, or better than, the CircuitRider is the Anasounds MKII which I also really like.

The clips of the Ceriatone and Tumnus Deluxe do sound pretty good but I have not tried them yet.

All Klones do not sound alike.

-bEn r.

55hz and coltonius like this.
  19. nkt275

nkt275 Member

I really like the Wampler Tumnus. A tiny bit more bass than many of the other Klones. Used to own an original Centaur, a silver one. I like the Tumnus even better.

20. '62 Stratmaniac

'62 Stratmaniac Member

I've only tried less expensive ones, but of those I've tried, I like the Tone City Bad Horse, the Xin Sound Sky, and the Tone Bakery Cream Brulee the most.