The best lesson on improv you will find. Peter Farell content

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by Tag, Apr 16, 2020.

1. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

Well let's see plenty of guys doing Skype for 100 to 150 bucks a lesson.
    So 52x125 bucks (roughly 100 £) is 6500$/5200£.
    The books are what 1300£ I believe.
    So just for that you're at 6500£.

Clearly he doesn't set the prices with unrealistic expectations as we seen a few weeks ago when he opened sales for the books.
    So if you have that kinda bread it certainly is a better investment than a PRS private stock...

Tag likes this.
  2. Megatron

Megatron Member

In my case I already have many of the videos. I've had some instruction already. More would be good of course.

Could be a great investment for someone. You could pay many times more than that at university and get far Less, other than a piece of paper, and take far longer to get there. Pretty sure Peter would go to great lengths to make sure everyone gets the material. He loves to teach.(I do too).

Tag likes this.
  3. Toosday

Toosday Member

150 bucks an hour is not the same as prepaying for a years worth of lessons. In one scenario you are out 150 with the option to renew and in the other you are out 10k. in That option has mathematical value to the point where your analysis does not work.

Nothing to do with guitar is a good investment when compared to actual investments.

I have and would pay $100 to $150 an hour for lessons but under no scenario would I prepay a year. I have yet to meet or hear of anyone that prepaid for lessons longer than 10 and if they prepay that much it is at a significant discount.

If there are takers that would attract more talent to teaching due to the price people are willing to pay. I am interested in how many people actually put down their money for the course vs how many just talk. In the case of that PRS private stock many people did put down their money or else it would not exist anymore.

Last edited: May 1, 2020
  4. Ed DeGenaro

What difference does it make for guys who have that kinda bread. What about $6000 amps you prepay 50% and 2 years build time?.
    My point is I don't have to worry about it I don't have that kinda bread laying around, but I can imagine that if I did...I might.

Tag likes this.
  5. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Sounds to me like you said you feel his prices are justified if he is the best. (Fair price)
    Personally I feel the method is the best, and PF is a phenomenal player AND teacher. Very rare combination. Every person has to judge for themselves, and my vote goes in the
    "Well worth it" column.
    :D

6. Tag

I wish I could stay busy at work and find the time for the lessons. I would join in a heartbeat. I still can't seem to get an answer on the FB lessons. If you join, do you get the entire lesson on a video you can download??
    If so, why not just sell the videos?? Something seems "off".

7. Ed DeGenaro

Well...i think I can answer it.
    Like anything online it can be downloaded...there is always a way.
    The point if the group is to interact and he answers questions regarding this.

I think his new community will have plenty of guys of the "lowest" two levels.

8. Tag

Ah! So you can't... ummm...."legally" download them when you join. So how are you suppose to reference the lesson?? All my lessons with Richie were recorded in cassettes. No one can retain a lesson just sitting through a class!!!

9. Ed DeGenaro

Legally?
    I don't think it's an issue. The issue is sharing stuff.
    But heck you could ask him.
    I mean everything I've seen I transcribe I download...

Tag likes this.
  10. Megatron

Megatron Member

I transcribed PF licks for about 3 months while I was studying in one of his FB groups. I have about 30 videos. At this point I'd like the books. A few of them especially. I have no desire to reinvent my way of seeing the neck or my technique at all. Would like the extra vocabulary, and the harmony book(s) at some point.

Tag likes this.
  11. Toosday

Toosday Member

I respect the heck out of your and Ed's options on guitars and guitar playing. However that opinion does not extend assessing financial value. The best measure of what the market thinks is how many renew for 10k again next year. If it is a high number then I will admit that it may be "well worth it".

12. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Wow.

Just ran a conversion to my currency - $17,524.49

If I sold my car and my wife's car I still wouldn't have enough $$$ to pay for that course.

AintNoEddie likes this.
  13. Tag

After a year you would have all the books, tons of videos of PF explaining everything, a year of private lessons with him and 6 months of group lessons twice a week. There is no need to sign up for that again.

14. Tag

Yet 5k less than a Buscarino virtuoso archtop.
    15k less than a top Benedetto.

Bluesful likes this.
  15. Bluesful

Yep.

Also something I'll never be able to afford ;).

Tag likes this.
  16. Tag

I look at it this way. If I was going to be a professional jazz player, or if I had enough time that I could put in to get where I would like to be as a player, I think its the best money I could spend. My thoughts, for me alone as a player.

ArcTrainer and Bluesful like this.
  17. Bluesful

Don't disagree with that.

Tag likes this.
  18. StevenA

StevenA Member

George would probably charge even more?

Tag likes this.
  19. The bear

The bear Member

Holy smokes man, these lesson better teach you how to build a space ship!

20. The bear

The bear Member

Just listen to and transcribe Benson and others. Nobody set out to be a professional player would drop that much on a music course from one player covering basically the style of one specific player... For that kind of money you could go to a high end music school instead and actually get a degree that would help you later.

JosephZdyrski and Bluesful like this.