• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

The Best LP-Style Guitar on the Market? (Not Gibson)

gunnar1104

Who makes the best LP-Style guitar available today? Try to keep it in a reasonable price range (not much more than Gibson Custom's).

BattleAngel

Man, from what I've seen, David Myka's single cuts are incredible. I got to check out 2 at his shop and was blown away - most especially by the neck heel.

There are also some amazing LP style guitars on destroyallguitars

CJDM

Depending on your price-point, the obvious contenders among readily available production-scale instruments are the Collings CL and a 57/08 pickup version of a PRS SC245. Both of these are absolutely killer 'les-paul" style guitars that you can go online and obtain within a week or so.

The Collings is probably the highest (material + build + design) quality of any production guitar of its type that I am aware of. The PRS are not lacking in this regard either. The Collings looks/feels more like a LP than the PRS, though both of these instruments deviate from a traditional Les Paul in some significant respects. The Collings for example has a far more comfortable neck joint than a LP, and typically is made from very consistently high-quality light mahogany. Tonally, either one can be astoundingly good depending on what you want out of a LP.

There are - I am sure - several boutique builders that can build something at least as good as the Collings, but tailored to specific tastes. These may require the commission approach with a longer wait time.

brockburst

BRIAN MONTY - Seriously...email him. Great guy to talk to, will build you an amazing custom LP for like 2300 bucks, handmade his quality and fretwork are sick. Ask around the site, people will tell you the same. Best bang for the buck in this price range.

SmilingDave

Silver Supporting Member
I've wondered the same thing, and I've read and seen a lot of good press about Brian Monty (if I ever save up some money for an LP style guitar, that's where I'll be headed).

doc

Silver Supporting Member
Not "the best" on the market, but I was very impressed with the sounds available from the new Taylor solidbody Custom. I'd rather have one of those than any of the current non-Historic Gibsons, and as far as tone and playability go it would trump many Historics.

davejeon02

The only non-Gibson LP I've played was the ESP EC-400VF. Awesome guitar. Great finish, good fretting, great pickups, etc!!! Looks classy to boot.

My McInturff Taurus Custom is the finest LP style guitar I've ever played. It does all the things my Les Pauls can do and more. I had a few really nice Les Pauls (R9, R8 and hot-rodded standard), but the McInturff was far and away my favorite.

gunnar1104

BRIAN MONTY - Seriously...email him. Great guy to talk to, will build you an amazing custom LP for like 2300 bucks, handmade his quality and fretwork are sick. Ask around the site, people will tell you the same. Best bang for the buck in this price range.
Any pics of his work?

Wizard of Ozz

Silver Supporting Member
PRS SC-250 & SC-245. Excellent choice all-around.

D. T. McNaught's Vintage Singlecut also should be mentioned as well.

Trending Topics