• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

The best mod I've found for curing muddy neck pickups

SPROING!

is a G&L/Reverend style bass cut pot.
It'll clear up a muddy neck humbucker like nobody's business.
(Can make your LP sound a lot like a tele, too, if you turn it down far enough.

Best mod I've tried in years.

Last edited:

jtindle

Hmm! You could put it in the neck tone control spot too. I might look into that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SPROING!

Hmm! You could put it in the neck tone control spot too. I might look into that

Generally wired with three knobs. Volume, treble, bass. All master controls.
I haven't seen a schematic for independent treble and bass but I'm sure it's possible. You're gonna have a lot of knobs on that guitar, though.

SPROING!

I won't have it if I have to drill a hole in my R8

Probably not advisable, no.
Mine is on a custom so I drilled it for three pots.
I guess on a real Les Paul, you'd need to wire it up with two volumes, one treble, one bass as masters.

c_mac

Gold Supporting Member
Being a Reverend guy, I use the BCC all the time to change up the tone a bit. Very useful!

willie k

Gold Supporting Member
...or you could replace your tone pot with a concentric pot. Might be tricky to find knobs that match perfectly, but I will likely try this.

SPROING!

Being a Reverend guy, I use the BCC all the time to change up the tone a bit. Very useful!
I'm surprised at how useful it is. I originally did it on a whim. Guitar originally had volume/tone/tone but i figured I'd give it a shot. It's not coming out.
It gets this really cool tone when used with the neck pickup with treble at 10 and bass at 0. I love it.

cmbeal317

I've been wanting to try this on my Agile AL-2000 for a while since the neck pup is so muddy, maybe I'll just drop in to Radio Shack tomorrow and pick up the caps I need.

As for doing this in a Les Paul without adding more holes; you run the volume controls to the switch, and then the output from the switch to the tone controls, and then to the output jack. That's how I read it from Joe's explanation in the comments under the article in the link below(same as the link above). It's the third comment he made, where he talks about Les Paul wiring.

http://tonefiend.com/guitar/two-band-ptb-tone-control-useful-easy-cheap-awesome/

BlueHeaven

On a Les Paul with a single volume control could you have a regular tone control (treble rolloff) for the bridge pup only and the bass rolloff for the neck pup only? And would that work good as well for the middle position?

Not being a DIY kinda guy, I've been waffling about getting my LP rewired for months. My tech guy is 40 miles away so I want to go there with a complete idea of what I want. Which is...one volume control only with a modest treble bleed circuit (nothing too drastic!). For tone controls I'd like a standard treble rolloff for the bridge pickup and a bass rolloff for the neck pup. And, in the middle position I'd like to be able to use them the same way...middle position tone too bassy or full just dial out some lows from the neck pup...middle position need more slice just roll the tone knob from the bridge pup up to 10. What I DON'T want is a global treble and bass rolloff. Is all this possible/feasible?

pitbull45

Cool.

The easiest mod that worked for me was switching to a lightweight tailpiece. Absolutely cleaned up the low end mud on my Paul's neck.

mslugano

Silver Supporting Member
In most cases, you won't have to mod your guitar with more gear if you just EQ your amp to the neck pickup...NOT the bridge pickup. Then use your tone knob as needed to reduce the bridge pickup highs.

I do this on all my guitars. On strats it's easy to use the dedicated bridge tone knob but on guitars with a master tone (like Jrs and Teles) I just remove the tone knob from the neck pickup...it involves moving one solder joint. Then, I just set and forget the bridge tone and I am not missing anything by not having a tone adjustment for the neck...I can't remember a single instance in my playing career where I rolled the tone down on my neck pickup.

BlueHeaven

In most cases, you won't have to mod your guitar with more gear if you just EQ your amp to the neck pickup...NOT the bridge pickup. Then use your tone knob as needed to reduce the bridge pickup highs.
I do this and it does help a lot. Short of going on the pickup wild goose chase I need a little more than this offers though.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom