The best pots and 5-way out there?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Nick Rundall, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Nick Rundall

Nick Rundall Member

I'm just waiting for my new Tyler pickups to be delivered. 5 Hot Lauras and a Shark humbucker. I've heard a lot about how the Tylers use the best quality hook up wire available. But I don't want to just attach them to the same old pots and switches do I?

What wire should I buy for the rest of the wiring, and what are the very best pots (500k) and 5 way switches?

2. mr coffee

mr coffee Gold Supporting Member

its all good.. if you buy CRL/ CTS etc. I'd say buy a prewired harness unless you are going to do some funkazz switching/blow switches.. and cap did I say cap?

3. sysexguy

sysexguy Member

Why not ask them to recommend something?

Callaham offers cryo treated pots and switches at reasonable prices and Speciality has the belden wire that TV Jones and perhap Tyler use. You could also experiment with high end tone arm wire but as I write I can see 18 pages of replies saying only an audiophool would waste his $$$....... You will get more people to agree to CTS pots, a real, non counterfeit Switchcraft jack and proper star ground as essential in assuring your get the best value for your upgrade investment.

I have one guitar that came with the Callaham parts, love it but I cannot be bothered to strip it out to compare...it sounds great and I like it, that's it. I also have a gretsch that will get new wiring and a switchcraft jack....of course once one goes through the pain of rewiring:NUTS a semi hollowbody (ship in a bottle), of course it will sound way better:dude

Andy

4. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Just go with a CRL switch ,CTS pots ,switchcraft jack and if you use your tone at least an orange drop cap (paper and oil is my fave.)I like to use the old cloth covered hook up wire and heat shrink the ends for a neat finish.
    All this stuff is available from Allparts.

5. Nick Rundall

Nick Rundall Member

anyone tried the Bourns 500 Premium Series pots with the black case? Also what value cap for SSH 500k config?

6. sysexguy

sysexguy Member

I'm a big fan of those Bourns pots, they're getting harder to find so I'll ask them at AES next week as to the best source.

Andy

7. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

I have them in a Les Paul. They have a great feel although the slope seems slightly different from a CTS. I got used to it quickly though. The worst thing about them is trying to solder to tiny lugs.

8. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

9. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

It's audio taper. The best thing to do is to try one. You might not notice any difference and if you do, it won't be significant. Honestly, I didn't give it much attention other than noting a slightly different feel.

10. fyrwyr

fyrwyr Member

PEC pots are great but maybe too stiff for most players. I use them in amps mainly but since I have them laying around I put them in my guitars...

11. sysexguy

sysexguy Member

PEC pots make an audible mechanical noise when one gets to full up, I had them in a Hagstrom for 25 years and then they started getting scratchy so they're definitely tough. Forget about soldering to the case too (solved with a ground lug on the shaft)

I happened on the Bourns because I have a guitar that had an A-B pot of similar size that died, the cavity didn't allow a CTS and mini alphas didn't appeal to me (from experience)

Andy