The Best Quality Instrument Cable Out There

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by danieldroukas, Oct 11, 2006.

1. danieldroukas

danieldroukas Member

I'm wondering what you out there have found to be the best quality instrument cable available to the everyday joe. I'm not talking pre-made cables with connectors at either end, I'm talking raw, spool bought cable like Canare or George L's, and I'm especially interested in what kinds of capacitances and resistances you've found along these lengths, as well as which have the best overall construction and feel.

If you know where you can get these cables at custom lengths then please share.

2. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Lavaman! Duh duh duh duh duhhhhhh duhhhhh duh duh duh.....

Friend of frequency! Foe of feedback! Just call and he'll be there, doing things the AMERICAN WAY.

www.lavacable.com

3. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

Of the ones available to anyone in the public canare might be the best. Most of the high end cables are dealer only and you have to order a prohibitively expensive amount.

4. loudboy

loudboy Member

Canare w/Switchcraft ends. Any less and you're not doing your signal justice, anything more than that and you're into the high-end, diminishing returns type of thing. It's possible that you can do better, but the cost/performance ratio quickly becomes prohibitive to us normal guys.

Loudby

5. LReese

LReese Member

I'm in the market, too. Probably will go with Canare. I sent an e-mail to NBS Electronics about the Pro El cable but have not heard back. Need some mic cable, too. Would like to go with 1 type for everything, but will probably will go with 50ft each of guitar and mic cable.

Anyone tried Canare LV-77? Know it is a bit too big for standard plugs.

6. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

I have Canare, but my GL's are far better to my ear. As I've said before, I can EQ my GL's to sound just like the Canare, but the Canare just doesn't have the presence or tonal range of the GL's, even with EQ. Don't want the presence? Don't want your tone to be toooo bright. Turn down the treble.

Check out LavaMan's site and go to the cable Summit article. The GL's are among the very best rated cables, at less than a $1 a foot. The Canare is also rated highly, at even less$$! Hey, if I were to name all the great players that use GL's, chances are some of your favorites might be GL users.

Summary: Canare is great cable. GL is great cable. You can definately spend more and if you do, more power to you and your tone pursuits.

Just be sure to play!!!

7. superunknown

superunknown Member

Evidence Lyric HG............

8. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

Does anyone have any experience with Amphenol Plugs?

I have only had experience using cables with Nuetrik plugs, and the standard connectors found on ProEl cables.

A friend recommended me Amphenols, but I can't seem to find any info about them. I'm thinking of getting some Canares with Amphenol plugs as my instrument cable (Guitar to Effects, Effects to Amp) in my rig.

Thanks fellas!