The Best Relics

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by skeeterbuck, Feb 28, 2008.

Which is Best

1. Fender Custom Shop

2. GVCG

3. K-Line

4. Nash

5. Old World

6. Revelator

7. Senn

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. skeeterbuck

skeeterbuck Member

Which company makes the best relics?

The ones, if not for the internal / external markings would fool the "experts". Take into account the look,feel and sound.

2. Neill

Neill Member

they all look good to me

3. Droptop

Droptop Supporting Member

Are we forgetting the man that started it all Vince Cunetto and his new company Vinetto?

4. mprvise

mprvise Member

Forgot Rocketfire as well.

Not a fan of relics myself, but have played a few CS relics and one Vinetto - all felt really good.

5. skeeterbuck

skeeterbuck Member

Droptop...my goof.

This was my first attempt at posting a poll and I should have including an "other" selection for guys like Vince. Sorry about that, but I'm glad you didn't. ;)

6. skeeterbuck

skeeterbuck Member

The ones I included in the poll were the ones that seem to me come up the most ofter here on the Gear Page when relics are discussed.

Please by all means feel free to list your favorite ones. Then may be included in a future poll as this subjuct seems to always excite the passion in us. ;)

7. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

The original relics (Cunetto) had the look. The pickguards and plastics looked right, the super thin finish and a great fade.

But they also had an (almost) 9.5" radius and figured maple and shielded cavities. All improvements to me, but not if you're going for trying to fool someone. I guess the time machine series got everything closer to vintage spec, but something about those early ones that sound, play and look incredible in their own way.

I haven't played the others so I couldn't comment on sound/play. Klines look very good. Subtle and classy. Same with the Senn pics. I'd love to see one in person. Many of the Nash ones look to contrived and overdone.

8. Rocktrans formed

Rocktrans formed Member

GVCG, followed pretty closely by Revelator. From what I've seen of Vinetto, Senn, Rice, and Old World, they're not bad either. Fender Custom Shops feel like beat-up new guitars with poor hardware aging. Nash totally bombs it on the necks and hardware.

9. mrfjones

mrfjones Member

as for the ones that would possibly fool an expert, none really cause they are all marked by the builders. The most authentic in my opinion would be the GVCG and then the OLDWORLD.

I learned how to relic and finish by studying the GVCG that I could come across and also looking at the vintage guitars that are around. If I am not mistaken Sean from lovepedal and oldworld learned the same way. He makes some killer guitars

10. dave s

dave s Member

I voted Fender CS because of no experience with GVCG products. I have owned and/or played Nash and KLine.

dave

11. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Haven't anything but the Fenders or Vinettos, I dig both my Vinettos however.

12. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

GVCG hands down for me.

IMHO, the maple necks are what separate the men from the boys with relics. There are a bunch of builders that are getting the bodies down pretty well, but maple fingerboard wear still seems to be a sure telltale sign for most of them. GVCG has this down better than any others IMHO. Then of course there is the headstock shape/decal that separate the true replicas from the aged "inspired bys".....but that's perhaps another issue entirely, as it narrows the field down considerably and introduces moral/legal issues.

13. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

Fender, G, Vin, some nash, some k line, OW, some rocket...all have their qualities.

14. amc

amc Member

Who here has actually played every one of these listed relics?

If you haven't tried every one of the listed pieces, you shouldn't vote.
    If there is no first hand experience, you don't have a valid opinion.

just my two cents.......

amc

BTW---I didn't vote in this poll, however, I do have 1996 Cunetto era
    Fender Custom Shop Relic that kills...

15. skeeterbuck

skeeterbuck Member

Yea fullerplast, that's why I put the "internal/external" in the original post. I know some have headstock shapes, decals or as in the case of some Fender's using their Custom shop neckplates are dead giveaways.

I try to judge them on their neck profiles, the look and feel of the neck and the look of the bodies.

I agree that the maple fretboards are the hardest thing to get right.

Another item that is a toughfy is the slight pinkish hue that the white blonde finish has that you see on the originals. Jonathan is the only one I ever seen do that.

16. Tallhorses

Tallhorses Member

I've owned a bunch of Fender relics....still have three. The older ones are better (Cunetto late 90's) some of the newer ones are flat out bad but earlier models are killer.

GVCG look the best but I've never played one. I really want to check out one of his early 50's tele's or strats

Nash's are ok on the cheap but the necks look bad. I've sold the two I owned. They looked a lot better early on when he was doing everything himself.

17. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Indeed.

18. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Haven't forgotten him at all...he's the granddaddy of them all! IMHO, the weakest points in both his early and later work, as well as Fender Custom shop work are in the maple neck fingerboard wear spots and in the bakelite blackguard wear spot. Both are dead giveaways. Ignore those to only consider rosewood neck and non-blackguards, and both move way up relative to GVCG, again IMHO, and based on ownership of all four.

BTW, although I've played most of the choices, I've been ignoring the tone/playability factor mentioned in the OP simply because it is far too vague and without any guidelines for reference. IOW, no real vintage tele or strat sounds the same or has the same exact neck/setup so what are we comparing to? I strongly suspect that any of the choices could sound and feel like some vintage equivalent.

19. localmotion411

localmotion411 Supporting Member

I owned a Nash that was horrendous (eBay mistake). I've really liked the Fender CS pieces I've played, and I have a Suhr Antique Classic T that feels better than any other relic I've handled. But I can't vote because I haven't tried them all.

20. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Member

I'm a fan of RS Guitarworks.