The best single Amp Sim I've tried to date - Emissary 2.0 with NADIR v2

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Anthony Newcomb, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Anthony Newcomb

Anthony Newcomb Silver Supporting Member

Decided to break this away from a Helix thread I originally posted it in.

After years of trying nearly every offering of software for guitar, the only software amp emulation I've ever tried to date that has actually made me say wow out loud when sitting by myself, is the newly released STL Emissary 2.0 plug-in. It's the only amp sim that I've ever owned/tried that didn't need a dirt/od pedal in front to tighten the lows (though adding an ignite pedal plug on the front only gets better) ...and the cleans are as good as my tube Laney irt studio imo with little tweaking. Everything is bold, rich, dynamic, and the distortion characteristics are the most convincing I've tried so far.

The new NADIR loader v2 they released alongside the amp in the bundle is absolutely stellar, and once again the best loader I've tried to date, and the included Dual IR presets with IRs are a perfect match (better than any of my 3sigma or celestion iRs I tried (at least for use with the Emissary). The new ROOM knob is what I'd call, the best AITR sound experience from anything digital...yeah I said it ;)

Though it's geared towards metal tones, it's way more versatile than that so if your not a metal head I'd maybe suggest starting off with the channel 2 gain on Low or use the clean channel and maybe add a pedal for more breakup. Either way, this emulation killz! I'm going to go as far as saying, other companies should take notice!

Btw, the entire STL-Ignite bundle is Free here:
    https://www.stltones.com/products/stl-ignite-emissary-plug-in-bundle

A great software pedal to use (by the same company) on the frontend is here:
    https://www.kvraudio.com/product/tsb-1-tyrant-screamer-by-ignite-amps

It's also a very quiet plugin...noise floor wise. I probably shouldn't say this (because it's still free), but why it's free is beyond my mental capacity :huh

I'd like to point out that most YouTube examples I've heard do this plugin no real justice imo so I'm not going to post them. This really needs to be tried first hand.

2. metropolis_4

metropolis_4 Member

I've played around with it a bit and it is really good. A big update from the previous version.

The new NadIR v2 is my #1 go-to for cab IR loading. I use it on every single one of my guitar patches. It works great, and its tweakable parameters are all in the right places to get what I want out of my cab IR.

And the Emissary is great too

It really is crazy that this stuff is free. They could easily be charging for it

Anthony Newcomb likes this.
  3. Anthony Newcomb

My thoughts exactly. That loader is fantastic and my definite go-to.

I've been using Emissary with the channel 2 gain set quite low at or below 9 o'clock with the master at 12 o'clock for fat, dynamic, and detailed lead sounds, and for double tracking rhythm guitars I just add the ignite TSB-1 screamer before the amp in the chain which thickens and scoops the rhythm just a tad to where the leads have their own sonic space to float above. I'm just amazed at how tight and dynamic the sound is in general. The cleans are no less awesome.

The biggest plus for me, is that when using this software, the sound I hear is a reminder to why I bought the guitars I have...as their tonal personalities aren't turned to indistinguishable mud, like I have experienced all too often with other software

I will say, the NADIR loader is definitely a needed part to the overall magic I experience when using the emissary.

4. Lord N

Lord N Member

Another nadir user here. But only since V2. Didn't like the old one.
    Haven't tried the new Emissary but will do... some day...

5. Anthony Newcomb

The fact that it's free leaves no excuse for delaying :D

Seriously though, it's good stuff and I'll be curious to what you think of it. I'm not sure what styles of music you like, but my tastes are pretty diverse and I'm love'n it. It has a few starter presets, but I just noodled for a few minutes and thats all it took...just like I'd expect from a real amp. It's straight forward and sounds mean as hell...though it's more capable of being other things than just a tight chug-chug amp.

Lord N likes this.
  6. Lord N

Lord N Member

I mostly like prog rock but i listen to almost everything (except country and "singer/songwriter" stuff :p)
    I can see why he started with free plugins but i would gladly pay a few bucks for nadir 2 (and possibly the amp sims when i tried them). It's really cool how many quality free plugins there are nowadays....

7. Anthony Newcomb

So true, and I often cringe at the cash I've shelled out for software sims over the years
    :confused:

I'm a progster myself btw, though I deal in all sorts of sonic Sorcery :D

Lord N likes this.
  8. mertay

mertay Member

Reason I like Emissary so much is its a relatively flat amp but still has a character going on. The least picky amp on various ir cab.s I've ever tried, great quality in sound as well.

9. bugzapper

bugzapper Member

My experience is that the new Nadir IR loader is noticeably more CPU-efficient than some other IR loaders I've used.

10. BCnSTL

BCnSTL Member

Welp - I signed up, "purchased" the Free Emissary bundle. Downloaded and installed.
    I see the NADIR plugin in my /components directory - but no Emissary amp sim.
    Bummer. Oh well. I have way too many software amp sims anyway.

11. Lution

Lution Supporting Member

I dig the Emissary amp sim! It's the only amp i use to record.

12. MaxTwang

MaxTwang Member

Are you using Logic or MainStage? I don't see Emisary or NadIR, nor a folder for Ignite, in Logic or MainStage which use Audio Units (the AUs are in the components system folder). I do see the VST, VST3 and AU in Reaper; the VST & VST3 showed right away in Reaper but the AU took a couple re-installs of Emisary and reboots of my Mac.

I've reinstalled and deleted the plugin cache for Logic and re-scanned but still don't see the Ignite AU's in Logic or MainStage.

BCnSTL likes this.
  13. Anthony Newcomb

This is strange, I'm using Logic and High Sierra and all is well here. What version OS are you using? I wonder if the system security is blocking the complete install? If so, go to preferences, security, and down at the bottom it will show the installer it blocked...just click allow and it will start again and should complete. Reboot after install to be sure Logic rescans the plugins.

MaxTwang likes this.
  14. ba_hill

ba_hill Supporting Member

Try restarting your computer. I use Logic and didn't see the plugins when I first installed them either. I restarted my Mac and the next time I opened Logic they showed up.

Brian

MaxTwang likes this.
  15. BCnSTL

BCnSTL Member

Eh. The VST versions loaded in Bluecast patchworks in Pro tools just fine so I could check them out.
    Sounds ...fine? I'm overwhelmed with software amp sims and as I've said elsewhere - loading and auditioning cab IRs via a file-load menu is tedious and totally vibe-killing. I've grown to loathe the process.
    Give me fewer, well-constructed options or a really simple way to tweak the cabinet/mic/room options ala Amplitube.
    Just my 2 cents.

16. mertay

mertay Member

Checking mic. positions with ir cab.s is indeed not fun but it does give the best sound.

Moving around mic.s from GUI is basically using an eq under the hood. I used redwirez to use free 1960A pack with emissary, its pretty well listed for finding the best mic. position. It sounds noticeably tighter compared to try replicating with eq.

But you do get the matched STL cab.s on default when opening NADIR if thats still not for you. Plus a 1 knob room reverb on an ir loader is a nice addition.

17. MaxTwang

MaxTwang Member

Thanks for the suggestions. Turns out it's user error: In Logic/Mainstage I was looking for a plug in group/node (under Audio Units) for 'Ignite', 'Ignite Amps' or 'Emisarry' (Logic sorts plug ins in a hierarchy with a node for each manufacturer). The Ignite plug ins are in a node called "STL Tones". :jo

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    Anthony Newcomb and ba_hill like this.
  18. Anthony Newcomb

Oops, forgot to mention that :rolleyes:

Glad you got it sorted

19. Anthony Newcomb

Btw, the plugins will be listed under 'STL Tones' after installation as MaxTwang pointed out...not under 'Ignite'

20. BCnSTL

BCnSTL Member

Not necessarily just EQ. Do you know for sure they aren’t intelligently mixing different IRS behind the scenes? That’s what I’d like to have done.