The Best Solid State Guitar Amps Ever Made?

dbeeman

Gold Supporting Member
I'm sure Roland JC-120's will be make the list, but i'd like to suggest a much smaller and cheaper amp.

Vox Pathfinder 15r. Great solid state practice amp. Love it. Sounds huge through an external cabinet too.
This is correct. Also, the Pritchard that I heard sounded good.

Some might add a working Vox Super Beatle.
The newer quilters are purported to be good.

Last edited:

Maltese Fan

Crate G120C and the G120CXL. Stereo or mono loops, XLR line outs, headphone out. Like a JC-120 with a better drive channel.
I saw one on GC's Used site for $120, if I had the room I'd snag it in a heartbeat. Crate SS amps seem to be universally hated, but these are really cool amps.

Marshall Code- My personal favorite... Its like owning $20,000 of vintage and modern Marshall equipment in a box!

Tech 21 Trademark. Ive owned this one for 15 or 20 years!

Vox Mini 5- Its got a decent tone for a little bitty bedroom amp but I really enjoy is the built in "Rhythm Section" .

Peavey Classic Chorus - Sounds great!

Pignose sounds good too......

RickV

Best sounding SS guitar amp I ever owned was a Heathkit TA17.

It had the most tube like sound I ever got out of a SS amp. But it was quirky, It would blow the power and driver transistors at least one a year.
It used to cost $18.00 and change at radio shack for replacements back then.

I played in a band in HS late 60's. The other guitar player had one of these with the extra cabinet. Weighed a freakin ton. It seemed very reliable for him, but it sounded like a giant transistor radio to my ears. Might have been the guy's technique, because he got a Vox Beatle stack (I had a royal guardsman) and he sounded the same. I'm sure he still owns it.

harvey j

I'm sure Roland JC-120's will be make the list, but i'd like to suggest a much smaller and cheaper amp.

Vox Pathfinder 15r. Great solid state practice amp. Love it. Sounds huge through an external cabinet too.
1967 Vox Cambridge reverb

motokev

I'm updating my previous post of 2012. I played a Gibson GA70, nothing better.
I always liked the Fender Stage 160

xlh1000

If you can find one, the old Randall Sustainer had a very tubish sound, and true to it's name notes would feedback/sustain forever with the gain up.

I still have a Sustainer 140. Single 12 in a side ported cabinet. It is named appropriately. Although it could also be named a "Loud As F**K Sustainer 140.

teleblaste

Peavey Special 130! I've had lots of SS amps over the years and quite a few tube amps as well. Most all of the tube amps remain with me, but most all of the SS amps are long gone...except for my Peavey Special 130 amps. These are my favorite SS amp and favorite Peavey amp, period! Loaded with an EV 12L speaker, these amps definitely get me into SFTR territory about 90% of the time. I presently own three of these and am always on the lookout for another. Very reliable and versatile amp.

In the past few years I’ve purchased two solid state amps that I like a lot and have gigged with.

Roland JC 40 - stereo amp but speakers are close together so stereo effect is subtle. Better for low to medium volume gigs.
Quilter Aviator 12 - clean channel has limited eq so I use the overdrive channel set for a clean sound.

My overdrive sounds come from pedals only. Both amps have internal digital reverb, which sound good enough, but not as good as a Fender spring unit.

I have also gigged with (small venues only) a ZT Lunchbox, but needed to bring an EQ pedal and a Reverb pedal to get the sounds I like.

arthur rotfeld

Supporting Member
Peavey Special 130! I've had lots of SS amps over the years and quite a few tube amps as well. Most all of the tube amps remain with me, but most all of the SS amps are long gone...except for my Peavey Special 130 amps. These are my favorite SS amp and favorite Peavey amp, period! Loaded with an EV 12L speaker, these amps definitely get me into SFTR territory about 90% of the time. I presently own three of these and am always on the lookout for another. Very reliable and versatile amp.

What's SFTR? And what happens the other 10% of the time?

teleblaste

And what happens the other 10% of the time?[/QUOTE said:
The 90% falls into the area of cab size. The Special 130 is a much smaller cab size than the SFTR, and pushing only one 12" speaker vs the 2x12 the SFTR is pushing. Both are very clean machines and with a Telecaster, can achieve very similar sonic qualities. That is exactly why in Country music circles back in the 80's and 90's, SFTR and PV Special 130's pretty much dominated those stages. As time went on, Boomers were aging and began to opt for smaller, easier to carry amps such as the Deluxe Reverb and the Princeton. But, even so, so old reliable Special 130 amps are still out there, earning wages.