The best Super Reverb-inspired amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Dave Orban, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Who is currently making the best Super Reverb-inspired amps, preferably in a slightly smaller, more portable, different-room-size-friendly package...?

I've always loved the SRs, but they are LOUD and not old-guy friendly, especially at 3 in the morning...?

2. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

Only one I've ever seen was the Bruno Cowtipper 45. It might sound great, but I don't know if it satisfies your other drivers.

3. B Vance

B Vance Member

Sorry to disappoint you, but I have never seen and or heard of a Super Reverb inspired amp that was smaller or more portable than the original. It does such lugging around those 4x10 doesn't it.

Best amps that I have played on, based on the Super in my opinion:

Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse: The cleans have more sustain, sparkle and tone than those from a Super. Also, the Roadhouse has a nicer overdrive too.

Dr. Z Z28 4x10: Great amp and a great used value because you can get a used one for less than a used Super most of the time. It is twice the amp a Super could ever hope to be as well. Takes pedals like a champ.

4. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

There's a new builder called Bluetron amps, who builds Super reverb style heads ... they run on 6V6s, EL34s, or 6L6s. Of course you still have to shlep a cab. And they are set up like the old Fenders, with 2 and 4 ohm outs, so that limits things a bit too.

So you need a combo Dave?

Most of the builders who make Super Reverbs (Uncle Spot, Chicago Blues Box) use the traditional 4x10 config, so you're not going to get your weight requirements met. And I spose a head and separate cab are not desirable either.

All the other Fender makers, in the smaller 1x12 combo packages, are going for a Deluxe or Vibroverb type sound. Similar, but not a true Super.

5. mlynn02

mlynn02 Member

you should consider the fargen blackbird 40 watt. similar concept, but 1x12, with only a single chanel and reverb. very portable, and gives it up a little sooner than a super. mine came with a weber blue dog, which prevents some of the blackface spikiness. however, i've also tried it with a weber california and it sounded really close to my blackface twin. it's a very smooth amp, but you should note that the reverb is not particularly fendery. it's not as wet, and never quite makes it to "surf".

just my 2 cents...

6. hear and play

hear and play Member

An Allen Old Flame might suit you. It's available as a 2X10 or 1X15.

"Design is loosely based on the mid 60's Fender Super Reverb™ but without a normal channel or a vibrato function. Design is enhanced with 3-knob reverb control, master volume control, "RAW" control, front panel power switches, impedence switch, and rear panel bias adjustment jacks."

http://www.allenamps.com/oldflame.html

7. Strung Up

Strung Up Member

8. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

Oh, I've always been a huge BF Fender guy..... ask my friends, I can see the expressions on their faces "Dude, can't you play anything but SRV??" :)

I have a Vibroverb Clone that I got from lannyhall. Great amp! But I still miss my old Super, it was old and had issues. So I'm contemplating a Super style amp too....

9. Mike

Mike Member

Yellowjackets and el84's in a Vibro King might be cool. One less speaker and earlier breakup, etc...

Do it and tell me how it comes out, so I don't have to! :D

Mike

10. Dave Orban

For rehearsals, I've been using a silverface Pro with an Alessandro attenuator... it don't suck, that's for sure... ;)

11. memphisrain

memphisrain Member

You could try a vibrolux basically the same circuit with only 2 10" speakers. If thats still too big, may be a princeton reverb. All seem to have that really nice BF sound to them.

Just my .02

MR

12. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

Memphis, great sig!! :dude

13. Pedro58

Pedro58 Supporting Member

+1 on the Vibrolux. It's lighter, anyway. Similar tone.

14. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

The super reverb and every other notable BF fender reverb amp share the AB763 circuit (although indivdual amps may have some odd component values). The only major differences are transformer size, speaker configuration and tube/ solid state recto. If you like the BF sound any quality 40 watt 1x12 or 2x10 clone (Fargen and Allen come to mind immediately) should do what you want without breaking your back. Of course it won't push as much air as a 4x10.

15. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

:) IMO, it's going to be difficult to get that big Super Reverb sound in anything but a 4X10 combo. For me, the 4X10 Super Reverb is the "lowest common denominator" of amps....I just can't get by with anything smaller EXCEPT my Komet 60 equipped with 6L6's into my KJL 1210 cab.

:cool: Another kinda similar amp that impressed me was the 3X10 Victoria 35310. Yeah, it's a tweed design but it tonally has that something special....but it lacks a midrange control, which I depend on quite a bit.

:eek: Having said all that, IMO, the Fender '65 Super Reverb reissue is a decent amp once the Jensen speakers break-in. Yeah, if you're in your 50's like me, a Super is a bear to drag from gig to gig but gigging with anything less has ALWAYS left me disappointed.

16. Mark Kane

Mark Kane Silver Supporting Member

A 4 input tweed amp with a reverb or delay plugged in between the low input on the bright channel and high input on the normal channel sounds better than a super reverb!!:)

17. Dave Orban

Vaughn, the problem is that, with very few exceptions, the rooms I play just won't support a Super's volume level. I know, I could do the attenuator thing, but I'm really looking to hear other folks' perspectives on what "else" is out there now... ;)

18. Dave Orban

Interesting...!

19. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

I don't think a Super's all that loud on 4 or 5, and pedals will sound better for overdrive, IMO, than the natural overdrive of the amp. Supers tend to sound too flatulent for my tastes above 6

20. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

I'm with Vaughn on this one. So much of the Supers inherent character is formed by those 4x10's swishing around all that air.
    Such an awesome sound!