The best tele? advice and pictures?

echo44

Hi I am looking for a well made tele type guitar
that retains some of the original sounds of the tele.

builders I am considering include:
Lentz
Nash
Huber
suhr
anderson

Would love to see your pictures and seek your advice!!

gretsch58

Hi I am looking for a well made tele type guitar
that retains some of the original sounds of the tele.

builders I am considering include:
Lentz
Nash
Huber
suhr
anderson

Would love to see your pictures and seek your advice!!
Consider Grosh?

tbar

I'm sure the other builder are great as well , but for my money
it's Lentz, Lentz, Lentz

Kmaz

Silver Supporting Member
Rick Kelly might be another consideration? Great guitar at a good price.

A-Bone

Montonero, MOY, Multitudes
Platinum Supporting Member
GVCG and D'Pergo should be in consideration, as should Danocaster.

edgarallanpoe

I am a huge fan of Nik Huber guitars and I own several of them. That being said, the question becomes this....

Do you want a traditional Tele or are you willing to accept a builders interpretation of a Tele?

If it is the latter, then Nik is awesome. If the former, he is not your man and you would be better served by going with someone like Lentz or Hahn.

enharmonic

Old Growth
Platinum Supporting Member
There are so many incredible builders out here today. When you say tele-type...do you mean that you want it to have the traditional tele body style? Also, when you say some of the original sounds of the tele, does that mean that you are open to some of the sounds + sounds that a traditional tele doesn't typically get?

JefeMaximo

Huge Member
I'd recommend adding Ron Kirn to your list. http://www.ronkirn.com

There is no "best." Once you get into this league, it's all a matter of personal preference and which builder you like to work with. All of the guitars are top-notch.

aram

I'd say Rick Kelly too!
Granted, I haven't played any of the other makers. But Bill Frisell plays one of his guitars on the duet album he did with Jim Hall last year. And Marc Ribot has been touring with one of late.

And I LOVE MINE! If you can deal with the long wait (sometimes almost two years) it's a great deal for $1600.

cherrick

Rob Oliveira of Crowley Texas!

He built and painted mine using a body and neck from Tommy at USA Custom Guitars that I had drop shipped to Rob. Callaham Tele kit drop shipped along with a set of Don Mare 2324 Nancy pickups. I even shipped Rob the case from MF. Here is his work:

and

and

The fretboard and back of the neck are done in Tru-Oil while the headstock (face and back) and body are thin, thin Nitro. I got every detail the way I wanted it and the craftsmanship is incredible.

Rob is a superstar.

buddaman71

Student of Life
Gold Supporting Member
1st place for me = My uncle's old 52

2nd place for me = My Relic Nocaster (pretty dang close in feel, weight and tone)

flogstrat

If you are looking for a traditional Tele, you should consider LSL. Use the search function and also www.lslinstruments.com for pics.

There are several recent threads about these guitars which are made from raw wood, available in pine or ash, and have pickups made by the builder. They are usually relic'ed, but I got mine with minimal relic'ing. Very reasonably priced
, too.

Dave

Loobster

Seriously.

Nocasters are amazing guitars.
Word.

My Uncle has a NOS Nocaster Thinline and it is absolutely stunning. I have played some less than incredible CS Teles but this is ****ing awesome. I can't see how something could be much better, it's beautiful!

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Silver Supporting Member
I have to go Rick Kelly too. Once you strap it on, it's like you're hardwired right into the vibrations, man.

Trending Topics