THE best tele bridge?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Flying Panda, Sep 10, 2006.

1. Flying Panda

Flying Panda Member

So far I've seen Glendale, Barden and Callaham, in descending order based on price. Based on their own descriptions, the Callaham reads the best, but I wonder what SOUNDS the best. And is it worth the near C-note tonewise over a standard Fender bridge?

2. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

They're all different.

And "best" is just SO subjective....

Let you ears be your guide, young Padewan...

3. Flying Panda

Flying Panda Member

Yes...well...I'm trying to skip the part where I buy all three and then try to sell off 2. I take it that you've tried them or own them...what do you like about each one?

PS...thanks for calling me young.:)

4. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

You know, there's really NO substitute for buying all three and selling off the two that don't work for *you*. ;)

And, it helps the economy. LOL!

5. teleking36

teleking36 Member

I have the Callaham bridge on my American Std. Tele. It was like night and day, and continues to still impress me. I don't think it's finished settling either, because my guitar continues to come alive, and overall resonance has increased substantially. It's a heavy ash body, and didn't have much life in it until I put the Callaham on it. Definitely worth it IMO. I was also happy to convert to the brass-saddle setup as well. More note definition and volume increase.

6. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

I have used a Callaham bridge and it sounded awesome (on one of my projects) I've used a Fender 'replacement' bridge and to be honest it sounded good, I was just getting great results with both but on different guitars and different pick ups. As I go through it in my mind, I think the Callaham probably is better but I wouldn't call it night and day.

7. Unburst

Unburst Member

I have the Glendale saddles and recommed them highly, they intonate and sound great.

8. rreiser

rreiser Supporting Member

I have tried the Callaham and the Glendale. They both are good but I prefer the Glendale as it is not as thick as the Callaham.Closer to vintaqe specs in my opinion. Best to get both and decide yourself.

9. Gordon

Gordon Silver Supporting Member

I've tried the Callaham and the Fender. Callaham sounds modern to me. Less upper harnomics, fuller fundamental. I use the Fender instead, sounds more "vintage" to me.

10. Gordon

Oh, BTW, brass saddles made by different manufacturers also sound different. Once you decide on a bridge you can have fun fooling with the saddles!!

11. Flying Panda

Flying Panda Member

Thanks for the replies, all...good stuff. I'm not terribly concerned about the Callaham sounding 'modern.' This'll be a Nashville tele, with a Rio dual calibrated pup set (Muy Grande/Tallboy/Halfbreed). I'll need it to be more of a jack-of-all-trades than a flat-out classic Tele.

12. Gordon

Hey man, if you want to try my Callaham, you're welcome to. Just send me an email.

13. DaveG

DaveG Gold Supporting Member

14. jetlag

jetlag Member

I put a callaham on my (real) '59 slab tele years ago, before Glendales were out. I got them to drill the top so it's like my old tele - you can choose top loading or string thru. At first it sounded bright, but them I guess I got accustomed to it, because I don't notice the brightness anymore. I got the SS saddles. Anyway, it gave the guitar alot more balls, volume and punch and made it "work" for me - I like alder guitars and this was a light ash body, slab board etc. I really liked what the bridge did for the guitar, but to be honest, if I had to do all over, I'd probably go with Glendale because of all the options. IF they could drill it right for top loading. I think for me hardened steel would be the saddle of choice in lieu of SS.

15. El Kabong

El Kabong Member

Jetlag~

Glendale will drill for top loading. My 'Blackguard' bridge was drilled for an extra $10. I should receive it in about a week.

16. Chris Rice

Chris Rice Member

Can you post a pic when you get it?

17. Flying Panda

Flying Panda Member

Now THAT, my friend, is quite a generous offer. Thank you very much. But, I'm still in the planning/parts collecting stages, and it will be a couple of weeks before this guitar will exist. More and more, though, I'm thinking I will just go with the Callaham as it sounds like the quality is obviously there and it won't do anything unexpectedly to the guitar's tone. A friend of mine started in the luthier business this past year and I want to give him a little business. For the curious, here are the specs as of now:

Warmoth Alder body, flame maple top, pearloid binding, pearloid guard
    Gretsch 6120 Orange stain, thin nitro finish
    Warmoth maple boatneck 1 11/16 nut, either rosewood or Pau Ferro board
    Rio Grande dual calibrated Nashville Tele pups
    Kluson-style Gotohs (staggered)
    ...and seeing how I'll probably go with Callaham for the bridge, I'll probably just get the control plate, neckplate, knobs, pots, cap, switch, etc. from Callaham as well.

Just waiting for that summer bonus payout....

:AOK

18. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

If you are a Blues player, Callaham is great for the thicker bigger sound. If you are a Country player or like Vintage tone, the Callaham will take away some "Twang" and Glendale will be a better choice. For rock guitar, I dunno...

19. El Kabong

El Kabong Member

Yes, Chris, will do.

20. Chris Rice

Chris Rice Member