• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

The best thing about the new VH stuff...

Dickie Fredericks

Gold Supporting Member
is David Lee Roth.

Dont care about the bass and backing vocals (Mike should be there)

The drums and guitar I expected to be decent (Alex has always been the best musician in the band) but Dave's vocals sound just like old times.

I still wont give em a dime.

B Money

Dave's voice ain't what it used to be, but he still sounds pretty good in the clips I've heard.

But have you noticed that the band just swings a lot harder with Roth singing? A lot of the Hagar seems real plodding and straightforward, while the Diamond Dave songs have a ton of swagger and fun.

Thanks Dave (and Wolfgang) for bringing back VH!

c_mac

Gold Supporting Member
I think DLR is by far the weak spot of the new record. I find myself really liking the music being played by the Van Halens but find Dave's vocals to be a major bummer. The melodies, the lyrics, the tone, his range, it just seems all seems pretty weak all things considered.

V-Type

Seems fine too me.
DLR is in his 50's and honestly pretty strong considering he hasnt hit it pro like this since the late 80's.
I guess Im one of the few that enjoys Roth back and finds he sounds pretty close too how I remember him circa 84-88.
Oh well judge how you want but Im just glad the material isnt laced with Sappy Love songs and commercial geared poppy hits.
Enjoy.

Neer

Silver Supporting Member
I was 15 when the first VH LP dropped and I heard Eruption and You Really Got Me while on the boardwalk at Seaside Heights. When I brought the record home and heard Runnin' With the Devil, I was immediately put off by the vocals which, to me sounded like an old man, like a Sinatra wannabe. I don't know why I got that impression--maybe it was the vibrato--but after some time went by I embraced it and realized that DLR was the core of VH for me.

It's been too many years now and I don't have any interest in VH, but I've always liked DLR the man and used to enjoy his morning radio show here in NY. You really got a little glimpse of where he was coming from--he's an R&B wannabe.

I had always hoped that he would turn his attention to doing more Bluesy material--not your typical white man's blues, but something a little more rootsy.

Rotten

Gold Supporting Member
I agree with the OP. Also, Dave has the type of voice that ages well. He just oozes good times, not taking yourself too seriously.

Rockledge

I am not a VH fan, even though I respect Mr VHs guitar abilities.
I don't think they have ever had a real singer.
I have always hoped they would find a good singer, their songs aren't bad and the musicianship was always there.

Neer

Silver Supporting Member
I am not a VH fan, even though I respect Mr VHs guitar abilities.
I don't think they have ever had a real singer.
I have always hoped they would find a good singer, their songs aren't bad and the musicianship was always there.
Just curious: what is a good singer?

Yeah - I understand people not liking Dave from a purely singing perspective because he's not straight ahead and was never the best singer (definitely best frontman though).

Sammy and Gary Cherone, though, are both pretty terrific singers. Regardless of whether you like them or the VH material they sang on, it's pretty difficult to put down their abilities as rock singers.

monty

Yeah, great to head Dave with VH behind him again. I actually like his "newer" tone better than Eddies "newer" tone. Wish Ed would lay off the wah.

Rockledge

Someone who can sing well enough that the image doesn't matter. And, has a pleasant voice.
BTW Mr Roth is a fantastic entertainer and I am glad he is back fronting them. I just never cared for his vocals....

Marshalls Law

I agree. The album sounds like a total failure, so far.
I just don't get that. :huh

Are you a Sammy fan? Have you heard the album to even make that opinion? Nobody has heard the album in it's entirety...so not sure where have this opinion.

if you are basing your opinion on Tattoo alone...don't. This album is going to melt faces.

VH is back and it's awesome.

Neer

Silver Supporting Member
Someone who can sing well enough that the image doesn't matter. And, has a pleasant voice.
BTW Mr Roth is a fantastic entertainer and I am glad he is back fronting them. I just never cared for his vocals....

DLR is a singer like Louis Prima was a singer--he is not of the golden voice variety, we all know that. Frankly, I don't think anything else would have worked. Imagine Dennis DeYoung singing for VH...or maybe Steve Perry. God, they would have been horrendous.

Trending Topics