The Best TS808 OD is...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Wizard of Ozz, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Silver Supporting Member

... the Menatone Red Snapper? :eek:

Well after owning/playing quite a few modified, reissue, and homebrew TS808 clones & modified pedals, the Menatone Red Snapper seems to be the one to beat IMHO. I've tried the Analogman Silver mod, Robert Keeley's Mod Plus/Baked Mod, Way Huge Green Rhino, as well as the new Ibanez TS808 reissue, Maxon OD9, and Maxon OD808... just to name a few. After hearing a Menatone Red Snapper for the first time last week, I think I have found the new reigning champ.

The Red Snapper does everything you'd expect from your basic 808 type OD. Low gain + High volume = good cleanish boost... up the gain for great medium OD tones. Classic blues mild odriven tones ala SRV or EJ. Great lead tones with plenty of harmonics and warmth without the big mid hump found in most 808 type ods. Also it seems to blend in much better with and become more of an extention of your amp than most other ods I've tried. Also the Red Snapper has a bit more gain on tap than most other 808-type pedals, which is a nice touch IMHO. The Red Snapper has a fairly simple but very effective circuit, and is exceptionally well made. It's also true bypass, so you won't experience any tone suckage when off. As a side note, there are 3 versions of the pedal out there. 2 PTP versions and 1 PCB model. I have both of the PTP models (3 & 4 knob versions), but have not tried the PCB version (which is no longer made). If you get the chance, check one out. Great pedal.

:dude

2. rabbit

rabbit Member

you are absolutely right! I love mine, too.

3. madsr

madsr Member

I don't have a red snapper but I have a fish factory which is supposed to be the red snapper and the blue collar in 1 box..it's a fantastic pedal...the red snapper side is definately awesome with my single coil strat...the blue collar side is awesome too...especially with humbuckers...and both stacked together creates awesome OD as well..just the best OD pedal I've ever had...I also have a 5 knob howie ...it's also a great OD once you play around and find the right mid adjustment...I'm very happy with menatone stuff..top quality pedals...I have heard though that Brian Mena is not going to be making anymore point to point handwired effects, he's gonna have a production line now that he's selling so much..anyone else hear similar?

4. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

I never heard this, but He hasn't been filling his orders very quickly with musictoys and some others, so maybe he is up to something.. I hope not..

5. Ryan

Ryan Member

I have a Red Snapper on the way with a TL072 chip wired in, rather than the stock (JRC455D?) chip. Found it on eBay, the seller said Mena hand did it and it's supposed to be even more transparent than the stock snapper. I can't wait!

6. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

I hate to tell you this, but thats the chip that comes with all the Red Snappers.. He has never used the JRC4558D chip.. I have had four RS's now, and they all came with the TL072.

7. theelectic

theelectic Guest

The best current production TS-808 is a bone stock TS-808RI, period. It's the closest thing that comes to an original. If you don't like something about the original (like its mid hump) then there are plenty of alternatives (like the Red Snapper) but if what you want is the true 808 tone... there's nothing else besides an original. IMHO so called "improvements" are more like changes which alter the tone - which some folks like (understandable).

8. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

You are sooo right.. I hate when people call the Red Snapper a TS808 clone, it doesn't sound anything like the TS808, and the controls don't even do the same things.. The Red Snapper- in my opinion, stands on it's own as a very good transparent overdrive that shouldn't ever be compaired to the TS808.. Everyone is alway compairing everything to the TS808.. WTF

9. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Silver Supporting Member

The Snapper is definitely not a clone, but it is based on the 808 circuit and it does have a similar layout and function... hence the reason why I think so many people make the comparison. The Snapper does use a different IC chip (a better sounding one IMHO). TS808s have 3 knobs (volume, tone, level) and so does the Snapper ;). The pots don't do excactly the same things, but IMHO they are more similar than not. Anywho I think if someone is searching for the "right" TS808-like pedal, they should checkout the Snapper because it filled that spot quite nicely for my needs.

YMMV. :D

10. drolling

drolling Member

My favorite 808 clone is an old MJM BlueDevil. Except for the bypass switch, it's pretty much an exact copy. The Ibanez/Maxon RIs weren't around back when I got the BD.

On the subject of Menatone availability, I've been looking around for them, and all the dealers I've contacted have been out of stock. When I finally placed an on-line order, a subsequent phone call revealed they were backordered. It's been a few weeks now.

11. CocoTone

CocoTone Senior Member

Its better than a copy. All components are matched, and hand built. My go-to OD.

CT.

12. Goldstrat

Goldstrat Supporting Member

For the 808 type sound I prefer my Aramat Green Machine to any of the Ibanez pedals. But for my favorite OD pedal it's my MI Audio Blues Pro which is different than an 808 and in my opinion better.

Goldstrat

13. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

Does anybody know whats going on with Menatone??

14. ROKY

ROKY Member

Another Red Snapper user, here, and a fan of Menatone.

I also like his Foxy Brown OD(have 2 of 'em) different flavor of
    OD, more of a booster/light drive.

Just picked up a Blue Collar from eBay(makenmusic auction) and
    got outbid(twice !) on an older Workingman's Blue & 5-knob KOB

Looking forward to the Blue Collar, though--I've wanted to try one
    for, awhile, now ..

15. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Would I be an idiot if I said that the best kind of TS808 is an old TS9? You can still buy the early Ibanez TS9s for less than $200 (and the TS10, SM9/10 for less than that). For that TS9 thing I don't think there's a better deal. I have to agree that pedals that do a TS808 better than a TS808 aren't clones, they're tributes or pastiches and while very cool, they won't take the place of a real TS808...

16. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

They sure have taken the place of a TS808 for me..

17. Goldstrat

Goldstrat Supporting Member

Me Too!

18. Seegs

Seegs Member

Couldn't have said it better...the BP is amazing...I've had both a BD and a Foxy Brown and the BD is gone and soon the FB will be too...not that they weren't great pedals cause they were but the MI Audio BP is just that good...

Chow,
    Seegs

19. mischultz

mischultz Member

Have you guys played with the opamp at all? I've had the Blues Pro for about a month and it just feels a little overly dense to me - coarse grain where I'd prefer fine, if that makes sense. Very solidly built, and I'd like to make it work, but I'm at a bit of a loss...

Michael

20. Seegs

Seegs Member

I havn't felt the need to...I like how it sounds and feels as is...the added girth in the low mids is welcome with my setup...!!

Chow,
    Seegs