1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

The Big Four Of Recognizable Guitars

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by taxman, May 24, 2011.

1. taxman

taxman Senior Member

These are The Big Four Of The Most Recognizable Guitars.
    You see these guitars and you immediatley think of the artist who played them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You see those Big Four you immediately think of Eddie, Prince, John, and Jimmy.

*This Big Four is based upon the exposure these guitars received from the artists who played them.

2. Sandy Cheeks

Sandy Cheeks Senior Member

Is this a question or a statement? I would have put Jimi's RH-played-LH strat up there.

3. twinrider1

twinrider1 Member

I agree with EVH and could agree on Jimmy Page, but these are up there...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. taxman

taxman Senior Member

Jimi's lefty/right Strat isn't that recognizable. Let's face it, he wasn't around long enough to make it iconic.

That Hofner is a bass guitar; not a guitar.

5. silvertone1481

silvertone1481 Member

Minus the second one....yeah, you're right. Put in a half-black, half-white Flying V and you've got Michael Schenker and Rudolf Schenker.

6. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Supporting Member

The Ric and the Tele copy, not so much. I'd say This is more identity linked than those:
    [​IMG]

I think that many people would not recognize the Hohner Tele because Prince isn't really known first and foremost as a guitar player. The Ric belongs to Tom Petty? Roger Mcguinn? see what I mean?
    How about these?:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

7. MartinPiana

MartinPiana Supporting Member

Guess it depends on who you listen to. Honestly, I don't know who plays that black Ric and Prince's Tele took a quick mental inventory.

But ... Robert Johnson's Gibson, Wes Montgomery's L5, Scofield's Ibanez, BB King's Lucille, Jeff Beck's white Strat, Charlie Christian's Gibsons, Mahavishnu's white double neck....

Jimi's Woodstock strat, for sure. I've seen a lot more photos of him playing that than Prince playing the Tele. I'd say Prince's "symbol" guitar is more identifiable than the Tele.

Bootsy's Star Bass, anyone?

8. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Silver Supporting Member

9. twinrider1

twinrider1 Member

Ooh yea, SRV, that's got to be included.

This one is probably cheating. :)
    [​IMG]

10. taxman

taxman Senior Member

Have to say "No" to many of the suggestions here. Part of the criteria is the EXPOSURE that these guitars received. Prince has been playing that Tele copy to huge crowds (and movie audiences) for DECADES. Lennon's Ric...well, uhh, there was this little thing called Beatlemania.

No way do SRV, Clapton's Fool, Schenker, etc... match the level of exposure The Big Four do.

BB King's Lucille is a good one, but that would be just among guitar heads like us here at this site. Lucille really didn't have the exposure of The Big Four.

11. CRBMoA

CRBMoA Member

Oh - Alright.

I had a couple, but I guess they don't count.
    :p

12. The Last Rebel

The Last Rebel Member

13. taxman

taxman Senior Member

With Prince it really could have been any of these three. I went with the Tele copy because that one has been around from the late '70s to today. Much greater exposure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. twinrider1

twinrider1 Member

Under your new criteria, I think this one qualifies....
    [​IMG]

15. XKnight

XKnight Member

Wrong once again! This is the most recognizable and most iconic shape in rock and roll. End of story!

[​IMG]

16. dspellman

dspellman Senior Member

Nope, sorry.
    The TAPE job on that first guitar maybe; that's sort of a trademark. I realize that's the guitar that Fender duplicated for $25K, but it's the tape job that gives it away.

The 2nd guitar, the telecaster, I'd have to say absolutely not. For starters, Prince played a bunch of guitars, and I'd never associate a tele with him, nor ever that one in particular. I have a pick for an iconic Prince guitar (below) but it's not a tele.

If I see a Rick (doesn't matter if it's a 12-string) I think of Roger McGuinn, not John Lennon. I have a different Beatles icon guitar, not that one.

And oddly enough, I associate a tele or an LP more with Jimmy Page than that double-neck. In his day (I was there), the double neck wasn't considered iconic of Jimmy Page, but more, perhaps, of John McLaughlin, who used it lots more than Page. Rik Emmett, Rick Nielsen, Rush, Don Felder and a bunch of others come to mind using double necks as easily as Page. Doublenecks were a gimmick then and remain so now, and weren't used often enough by anyone to establish them as iconic, but there are people who used it more often than Page by several miles. I'd associate that with a particular song, of course, if you gave the dual hints double neck and Jimmy Page.

If I were putting iconic guitars up there, I'd probably put McCartney's left-hand Hofner violin bass up as the most recognizable Beatles guitar.

If I had to pick a Prince guitar, it would be the white Cloud one Purple Rain (though he used other pastel-painted Clouds in other videos).

What happened to the white strat from Jimmy Hendrix, SRV's #1, Clapton's Blackie or Jerry Garcia's Wolf or Tiger guitars?

On the second tier, I'd certainly recognize Lindsay Buckingham's Turner Model 1, whassisname's polka dot V.

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  17. The Last Rebel

The Last Rebel Member

As long as we're talking basses this one DEFINITELY wins:

[​IMG]

A masterpiece in wood, da Vinci couldn't dream of such beauty.

18. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

Nice guitar rack!

19. dspellman

dspellman Senior Member

Problem is, it's Just Another Tele. Yeah, we know it's really a Hohner TE, but I don't look at a fairly random and somewhat ordinary looking tele and think "Prince!"

With the Cloud or even the Symbol guitar, there's pretty much no one else it could be.

20. dspellman

dspellman Senior Member

Wins what? What artist does that suggest to you? We *are* on topic here, and not just randomly tossing up photos of weird basses, right?

Nothing wrong with that, of course, since the guitar rack is so nice.