The big one.

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by SigXer, Feb 25, 2009.

1. SigXer

SigXer Member

What's the most you've ever spent on a s single piece of gear? What was it? Do you still have it (i.e. was it a good purchase) or have you since sold it?

2. mprvise

mprvise Member

Two-Rock amp in 2004. $3,500 - excellent purchase - still have it and still gig with it regularly. Played it two nights ago at the house and will use it on a gig this Friday.

3. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Member

PRS Hollowbody I 10 top with Birds $3,200.00... I bought it in 2001 and will have it till the day I die.

4. snarkle

snarkle Silver Supporting Member

$6500 Canadian for a clean late ’64 Strat in 2005...even with the slumping market I think I did okay.

5. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

$2400 on a custom ordered guitar. It was of high quality but I misjudged the specs that I picked and I didn't love it enough to keep it. Fortunately, I got it for such a good price that I only lost $100 when I sold it 6 weeks later. Probably won't buy another new item of such value without trying it in person.

6. Voodoo Blues

Voodoo Blues Member

$1500 on a '92 SRV Strat with Braz board. It's been my #1 since I got her and always will be. Wouldn't sell her for a million dollars.

7. crifasta

crifasta Silver Supporting Member

Marshall 2555 Silver Jubilee Head - I bought it new in '87 (put it on layaway for a couple months). I think I paid around $1200. Still have it and have not purchased another head since. Been gigged and recorded with a bunch but still fires up every day.

8. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for Silver Supporting Member

Running Dog mini-jumbo acoustic guitar. About $3750 with all the extras I got back then... I'm sure it'd be over $5k now. Most expensive thing I ever bought that wasn't a house, a car, an education, or a child.

Heck, it has its own WILL for when I pass away.

9. Bryan T

Bryan T guitar owner Silver Supporting Member

Goodall jumbo baritone acoustic. I no longer have it, but it was a phenomenal instrument.

10. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

$2500 on a Refin 1964 Strat, sold it.
    $2500 on a PRS Artist 2, sold it.
    $2500 on a Les Paul replica, keeping it.

11. prsflame

prsflame Member

10K1926 Ernst Heinrich Roth Violin
    4K Frank Callier Bow

I spent 6 months looking for the perfect violin, and another month matching it to the perfect bow. I was able to find the tonal charceteristics I was looking for, for far less than I anticipated having to spend.
    This violin brings me tremendous joy. I had to make ALOT of sacrafices $$ wise in order to make the purchase, but it was well worth it.
    I don't see myself selling it anytime in the near future.

12. DocRock

DocRock Supporting Member

$2400 for a used David Thomas McNaught vintage singlecut. Had it, loved it, sold it because I needed the money for something else I wanted even more, but couldn't afford to buy outright.

13. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Yes you would, stop the BS now. :warning

For me it's a Fender Cunetto era relic SN#0386 ($2900). Investment only, hope it pans out.:worried

14. LuckyBystander

LuckyBystander Member

It's a tie among my (1) Gibson Hummingbird Authentic, (2) my Gibson ES-335 (wine red), and (3) my Martin HD-28. All were about $2600 or somewhere thereabouts.

I really like all three. The guitar I had throughout college (playing in various crappy bands) was a Squire Strat. The really sad thing is that I was probably a better player with that Squire because I had more time to play. One of the common realities of life: money is inversely proportional to free time.

15. unoguitar

unoguitar Member

Over $2000. I had been gassing for a '58 LP RI for a while. Did a ton of research on LP's over the last two years to come to that decision. Recently saw one available at a price I could not pass up and made the purchase. (Excellent buy and top-notch seller, here on TGP, BTW).

Have only had the guitar two days now. Still early, thus far it hasn't given me the WOW factor I had expected. So, the jury is still out. :dunno

It is growing on me though.....

16. Knuckles

Knuckles Member

$4500 for a PRS Modern Eagle. Totally worth it.

17. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Probably $4600 for a head + cab.

18. DanR

DanR Member

I have a '67 Gibson ES335, a '67 Fender BandMaster, a '73 Telecaster and a fairly new TopHat Club Royale.

That said, the most I've ever paid on a piece of gear is $958 for a brand new (in Sept '06) Larrivee L-03R.

The vintage stuff (except the BandMaster), I bought a long time ago cheap.

19. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Silver Supporting Member

My first Thorn was a leap of faith for me. I've bought three since, all are fabulous instruments.

20. Jazzydave

Jazzydave Seeker Silver Supporting Member

The most I've ever spent on a guitar was $2300 for a R8 - it was a fantastic guitar but a few weeks later I scored a '61 SG RI that blew my mind so the R8 had to go.