The Black Crowes reunion

Nebakanezer

For me, a BC reunion without Gorman would be about as exciting as the Page/Plant tours of the mid 90s....
the truth is, any multitude of drummers could step in and fill that role; with all due respect to Gorman.
While I agree because I saw the band with 4 other guitarists, 2 other bass players and another guy on keys, I found myself gravitating to the drums and watching Steve most of the later shows. I have always said that the brothers laid the ground work for selling the songs that they wrote, which is why they let the revolving cast of musicians play whatever they wanted to in their new found roles as a members of The Black Crowes and I feel that for the most part the new guys respected the parts enough to try and stay true to the themes within the songs.
If the the Brothers find a way to convince Marc to become a Crowe again, that would be the only way I would consider seeing them.
Because MFF!!!!
But if they go out without neither Steve nor Marc, it’ll be a hard sell! I would really like to see Steve and Marc playing whatever they want (together or separately) in a nice smaller club.
I do feel that one day the brothers (mostly Chris) will have to justify that playing Hard To Handle, Jealous Again, Twice As Hard and She Talks To Angels every night is not selling out, it’s giving the people what they want.......... so he can live his life of luxury that he so self-deserves.

zep41

For me, a BC reunion without Gorman would be about as exciting as the Page/Plant tours of the mid 90s....
I wouldn't go that far. The Page/Plant collaboration produced some very special shows and worked wonders for Zeppelin record sales in the 90s.

While the absolute purist of Zeppelin fans may have scoffed at the Egyptian ensemble and orchestra accompaniment, the delivery and reinterpretation of those songs was outstanding and very fresh. Surreal almost.

DrumBob

Platinum Supporting Member
I just gotten Steve's book and after only 30 pages read, have already seen what a couple of dysfunctional characters those two brothers are. Not much hope for success going forward. I have no plans to see them if they tour.

65inside

the truth is, any multitude of drummers could step in and fill that role; with all due respect to Gorman.
Some time ago I was listening a well known southern rock band playing a Crowes song and something sounded off to me. After carefully listening I found why it sounded off and why I never cared for that band, although they are a great band with great tunes and a great sound: the drummer doesn't swing.
After that I found my favorite rock drummer: Steve Gorman. The only guy I heard that could put the same swing was Magistro. He seems to be out too so...

MikeFM

Some time ago I was listening a well known southern rock band playing a Crowes song and something sounded off to me. After carefully listening I found why it sounded off and why I never cared for that band, although they are a great band with great tunes and a great sound: the drummer doesn't swing.
After that I found my favorite rock drummer: Steve Gorman. The only guy I heard that could put the same swing was Magistro. He seems to be out too so...
Completely agree. Gorman has a natural funk to him that even when he's not 'swinging' he's swinging. It's like even his straight 4/4 rock beats have a certain magic to them.

ethandt

Audley is a better anything than anyone who has ever been in that band, sans Jimmy Page if you count him
Ridiculous. And I love Audley. Eddie Harsch was an incredible musician. And Marc Ford is no slouch.

And as far as songwriting goes, I guess I didn’t realize he’s written anything that came close to She Talks To Angles, Thorn in My Pride, Sting Me, Jealous Again. I could keep going. But I think the record sales speak for themselves.

sws1

Ridiculous. And I love Audley. Eddie Harsch was an incredible musician. And Marc Ford is no slouch.

And as far as songwriting goes, I guess I didn’t realize he’s written anything that came close to She Talks To Angles, Thorn in My Pride, Sting Me, Jealous Again. I could keep going. But I think the record sales speak for themselves.
For one, the BC has always been Rich and Chris writing the songs. Period. (And the producer on the first album). If others were given the chance, things might have been different.

TNJ

Gold Supporting Member
I don’t think that the music suffered at all without Steve — Joe is quite good. This is not discounting Steve at all, but I think that after his book, the brothers are probably justified in never touring with him again. While he says he’s not bitter, his takedown of Rich and Chris is pretty vicious.
Like Steve didn't learn vicious takedowns from the masters??!!
I think they deserve every bit of it.
I'm 2/3 of the way through the book...and this band was a miracle despite the psychos who constantly undermined it for their own egotistic gains.
Unfortunately, the truth hurts... Steve is probably going to end up being the Don Felder of the BC.
Boo Birds...BOO!
*At least Steve will probably end up selling a mega number of books if the tour goes over. I'd sell half off day of show at the concert city through the whole tour if I were SG!
(I'm a fan of the music, not the musicians...kind of like the Eagles or the dozens of other crazy ass MF'ers who have completely wrecked their otherwise great bands)

Sj

Last edited:

ethandt

For one, the BC has always been Rich and Chris writing the songs. Period. (And the producer on the first album). If others were given the chance, things might have been different.
I guess I'm wondering what the point is here in regards to my response about Audley being better than anyone who has ever been in the band, and a better songwriter than Rich?

Yes, it's always been the brothers writing the songs. And yes, it was the brothers dysfunction and bad decisions that ripped them apart, more than once. But regardless, they still managed to helm a band that had a 20+ year career and sold 35 million albums. They wrote a ton of great songs together. While Rich may not be the technically proficient solo player that Audley is, I would argue that his style, and riffs, have left a much more indelible mark on rock than anything Audley has ever recorded.

Again, I like Audley. He's a hell of a musician, and garners a ton of respect (rightfully so) within the industry. And.... he's a great guy. I just think the idea that Audley is better at everything than anyone in Crowes is extremely naive.

The only other player the Crowes had that could've contributed to song writing within the group was Marc Ford. I love his solo stuff. Prime time would've been when he came back into the fold in 2005 after recording several really good albums and honing his song writing skills. And I do think Chris and Rich missed out not including him in that regard. But even said, my point is the brothers were good enough to carve out a very, very successful career.

ethandt

Are MFF and CR on speaking terms?
I would highly doubt it considering that he went to play in a band with Rich after the Crowes breakup. But who knows, stranger things have happened, like him coming back in 2005.

Trending Topics