The Black Crowes reunion

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by 65inside, Oct 3, 2019.

1. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

Just doesn't feel right to me, or sound right. My opinion only. Seems disingenuous to keep it 100. No Steve, Sven, Marc....who are these dudes playing in their places? Don't answer, as I really don't care. Too bad, as Crowes were a great band before.

2. JumpinBradFlash

JumpinBradFlash Member

I wonder if Rich or Chris had written a book first whether some morons would have lined up and taken aim at Gorman instead. More than likely. All three of them made mistakes (not to mention the mistakes that Marc and Eddie clearly made... but apparently it’s ok to just overlook those). TBC was totally dysfunctional

Tidbit, Bluesful and soma like this.
  3. soma

soma Member

Jimmy?

Tidbit likes this.
  4. soma

soma Member

Exactly. Marc was clearly an absolute nightmare for many years but he seems to get a bye. Eddie the same, despite him now being raised posthumously to godlike status.

Is it because Gorman does stuff about sports that he is so popular and his word is automatically taken as gospel?

The Jimmy Page stuff on here is now as strange and unsettling as the barrage of anger and defensiveness you receive when you say 'A Kemper, while really good and easier to use in many ways, isn't quite as good as the valve amp it is profiling when it comes to outright sound'.

JumpinBradFlash likes this.
  5. JumpinBradFlash

JumpinBradFlash Member

WTF are you saying about Kemper’s? Take your damn tube amps to hell with you ;)

I’m a massive fan of Marc and I love Eddie. But they were the 2 biggest train wrecks in the band for a while which is certainly saying something.

I also love Jimmy page but that doesnt exclude me from liking the Crowes.

Echoplexi likes this.
  6. soggywaffle17

soggywaffle17 Member

Weren't Marc and Eddie just hired guns..? I think Gorman is the only one they ever shared in the spoils with.

7. JumpinBradFlash

JumpinBradFlash Member

Yes they were. Johnny Colt was also a ‘partner’ until he left as well

8. MikeVB

MikeVB Supporting Member

Why not bring in Sam Phillips, Michael Jackson, and John Fogerty also?

9. magdream

magdream Member

I like Lions but don't love it. It has some really good moments but it also has a lot of missteps. While Lickin' may be a cool song, it's not a lead single. Come on, would've been a better choice, imo. I don't think that segueing all the songs together, works for an entire album. Cypress Tree had the potential of being one of their best songs, but the chorus is just too out there and jarring. It might be fine on it's own and would work in another song, just not in Cypress Tree. The mix could've been better. Maybe trim it down by a couple of songs. Their logo was hard to make out. It all added up.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
  10. 65inside

65inside Member

There's three sides to every story but that sounds like BS. They had great management that kept the band from imploding and now everyone was trying to keep them fighting? Who would benefit from it? Not the band!

supergenius365 likes this.
  11. Smacky the Frog

Smacky the Frog Gold Supporting Member

This is the same Rich that said on BTM that Marc was so blasted they had to shut his volume down during the 96 and 97 tours. If anyone has copies of those shows (which is a magnificent run) you'll hear some fantastic playing from Marc, not the trainwreck that Rich described.

If Chris were to write a book, it would be immediately followed with "that's not really what happened" comments by whoever was involved in his stories. You're not going to hear that from people involved with TBC that read Gorman's book.

65inside, PdL and Moby Dick like this.
  12. DewieCox

DewieCox Supporting Member

Dude, let it go. You didn’t know Rich Robinson then, you don’t know him now.

13. DewieCox

I dunno about behind the scenes as much but as long as I’ve been into the Crowes the “dysfunctional brothers” thing has been pushed and it has been romanticized and exploited in rock and roll practically since the beginning.

Not hard to see why people would try to divide them when it comes to decision making and how stubborn the boys(and everybody else) can be. There’s enough out there that the brothers have a lot of blame but I’m sure others picked up on their inclination to bicker and took advantage.

14. stevenymets

stevenymets Member

Riding on a unicorn through a gumdrop rainbow
    I should just let this go, but I’ll say it one more time. Based on the book, it wasn’t as much about some incredibly deep creative marriage as much as it was about Page lending his name in a somewhat limited fashion to the album for marketing purposes. Now, we have already debated the merits of whether this would have been beneficial or not for bringing publicity to a subsequent album, and I personally think anyone who couldn’t see the benefit of this is being willfully ignorant, but Page’s offer was simply producing a couple of songs or possibly co-writing a couple of songs, that’s it! Nothing more. I think many of us forget where the band was prior to the Page tour, they were no longer remotely close to where they once were, in essence, as a continuing entity they were in trouble because of reasons already stated. The Page tour changed almost everything for the band (they got offered a new beneficial multi record 7 figure deal, Gorman agreed to stay, they were playing far bigger venues, etc.) How you do not even bring that offer to management and the rest of the band to discuss is just another example of the brothers being, well, the brothers. Even if you want to turn down Page, you discuss the best way to do it with everyone, including your manager in order to soften the impact so you can keep the current tour going, as this is the best thing that had happened to them in years. I know for the die hard fans out here this might be taboo, but to the greater music consuming public, the band was no longer relevant prior to Page, they were a drug addled train wreck with what seemed regular personnel turnover and two principals who hated each other and couldn’t agree on anything. Page was their life raft.

Try to stop looking at this from a creative standpoint for a second, it didn’t matter if Page had anything left creatively or not, what mattered was having his name associated with the album. Now, we can debate the merits of that (again), but I really think the incredible benefits the band enjoyed from that tour proves how valuable an association with Page on an album, even for two or three songs, could be.

One other kind of unrelated point, for those of you who are real hard core fans of the band and defend the brothers......why? The demise of the band you love falls heavily on their shoulders. If you love The Black Crowes, one would think it would make sense to have disdain for the two knuckleheads who solely engineered the demise of the band, despite the best efforts of those like Angelus, Gorman and others around them who tried desperately to hold it together.

TNJ, Moby Dick, PdL and 1 other person like this.
  15. stevenymets

stevenymets Member

Riding on a unicorn through a gumdrop rainbow
    You know what this sounds like, an addict who still doesn’t realize he is an addict and blames everyone else for his problems. Passing the buck, it was everyone else’s manipulation and controlling behavior that caused Chris to do all of those drugs, or caused Rich to take the bus that night and abandon the band despite promising he would wait, or caused Rich to leave his brother’s wedding shortly after the reception started, before any other guest, despite being the best man, or that caused Chris to insist on producing their album when he had no clue what he was doing and did such a bad job that he cost the band hundreds of thousands of dollars and they had to scrap the whole thing and start over. The list goes on and on and on......

Look, they are saying a lot of the right things now, but I would love it if they had a true mea culpa, showed contrition, took responsibility, apologized to many they negatively impacted. I am rooting for them, and I really hope they have changed, that they have some brotherly love at least, that their interpersonal skills allow them to have a successful band moving forward, because for me personally, I much prefer that narrative, that is a better story than the prior ugliness, but the proof will be in their actions up to and during the tour. I’ll believe it when I see it.

jiml, 65inside, Darkburst and 3 others like this.
  16. DewieCox

They also carried the band creatively from the start.

Nah

17. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Silver Supporting Member

Lots of Croweing going on in here...

Bluesful, HurricaneJesus and M40A1 like this.
  18. Echoplexi

Echoplexi Silver Supporting Member

Seems like a lot of people want to see this ship go down in this thread....

19. MikeVB

MikeVB Supporting Member

I honestly don’t care about either party or any of this circus. They all once made great music. Who cares about this crap now 20 years later?

led zep fan likes this.
  20. DewieCox

Glad you got rid of the wildly ignorant other part. Page was already fairly beneficial to them and to this day any type of endorsement from Page would be a huge thing for almost any rock band.