The Black Crowes reunion

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by 65inside, Oct 3, 2019.

1. MikeVB

MikeVB Supporting Member

Okay Boomer

buddaman71, soma and Echoplexi like this.
  2. DewieCox

DewieCox Supporting Member

LOL!!

PdL and Echoplexi like this.
  3. PdL

PdL Silver Supporting Member

After 30 years of insisting “I’m only on it for the music, man” it’s interesting to hear Chris acknowledge his latest undertaking under the banner The Black Crowes is primarily a money-making endeavor. Quite a change from years past when he was quick to deride older musicians who’s efforts to create new & interesting music had taken a back seat to lining their pockets. While I have no interest in seeing Chris, Rich + their three hired hands run through the SYMM album on stage I give Chris props for coming clean & calling the upcoming tour what it is: a vehicle for the brothers to cash in.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    sertshark, Marc Roy, jiml and 2 others like this.
  4. chirills

chirills Member

Every show nowadays is crazy expensive up close. In Tinley Park the second half of the venue and lawn are all under $30, fees are crazy $, but that's ticket master. Prices don't seem to be uniform across these venues they're playing.

5. 27sauce

27sauce Member

Tickets will get cheaper as the shows get closer.

This morning I bought Aerosmith tickets that are ON STAGE, with IEM’s where you can chose various monitor mixes...for $125 each originally $500.

Moby Dick and Echoplexi like this.
  6. 65inside

65inside Member

Is that a thing?!? You get to change Joe effects to?

PdL likes this.
  7. HurricaneJesus

HurricaneJesus Member

Call me crazy. It’s grown on me over the years. Even the production is kinda cool to me, like listening to them at some kind of warehouse or abandoned factory (and I mean that in a good way :dunno)

Rich is a real dick for not making “Thriller 2” with MJ.

Hunger’s got a way to take a man’s pride.

JumpinBradFlash and MikeVB like this.
  8. 27sauce

27sauce Member

It’s a weird story.
    They wanted to do this interactive, on stage experience for the Vegas run. Problem is, they brought their arena rigs into this small theater and osha wouldn’t let them have people on stage. It’s the loudest Vegas strip show ever. The solution was the IEM thing. Apparently these tickets aren’t selling well. The rest of the house is near sold out.

9. 65inside

65inside Member

Joe's rig should be loud as hell!

HurricaneJesus and 27sauce like this.
  10. Echoplexi

Echoplexi Silver Supporting Member

That’s awesome. Good deal too!

11. 27sauce

27sauce Member

For real. There were quite a few tickets available on his side. I may regret it. I saw them front row once before, right in front of him and it was all I could hear.

the other side has a horn section. No thanks.

12. AA864

AA864 Member

Really, I just saw Tedeschi/Trucks with Blackberry Smoke at Red Rocks last summer for about $60 GA tix, I sat in row 16.

13. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

That would be an awesome show.

AA864 likes this.
  14. jcs

jcs Member

The new musicians are very skilled.....when they went on stage at the Troubadour, James Brown was playing on the PA.

I see nothing wrong with this tour...they played the Stones "Its only Rock and Roll" at the Bowery show.

There is a LOT of later Crowes stuff im not crazy about but there is also plenty to fill a set and they have the musicians to play anything from any album (which i am guessing will happen).

How many times has Chris been married now? He said he has a "new partner the past 2 years"....boy, a bad relationship/marriage can wreck things but Chris seems to sing as good or better from the clips ive seen so far at the Troubadour and Bowery.

More of a 60's early R&B rock/soul vibe and im fine with that (i loved BYS) even though SYMM has only a few songs i would cover....but hey, lets see how it plays out.

JumpinBradFlash likes this.
  15. Bluesful

16. Bluesful

17. 83stratman

83stratman Supporting Member

Their worst? The album that brought them fame and fortune? LOL. SYMM is one of their best records topped only by Southern. Although they have some good records since, none of them are as good as the first two.

Creighton, supergenius365 and PdL like this.
  18. Melj

Melj Member

I have to admit that, though I consider myself a Crowes fan, I don’t really like SYMM, in fact I don’t think I’ve listened to it since SHAMC came out, at the time it was like they were a completely different band from SHAMC through to 3 snakes. Then they had the live stuff with Page which just seemed odd and then they became another band again with their Dead phase, which again I didn’t like.

So I guess the version of the Crowes I did like had a 3 album run , the brief reunion in 2005, then were reincarnated as TMS for a year.

19. soma

soma Member

Sister Luck
    Seeing Things
    She Talks to Angels

I think they are only 3 top tier tracks on that album. They are the 9-10/10 ones. There's a few 6s and a couple of 4-5s.

Appreciate it broke them globally but that doesn't make it their best work.

JumpinBradFlash and jiml like this.
  20. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

Gorman notes that they "hit" right as grunge did, killing them along with all the other late 80s, early 90s hair bands.

SYMM is definitely an outlier, also their biggest seller, but not really who they were.

They were still learning their instruments, how to perform, how to tour during those early years. Alot of who they were then was created by their producer and engineer.

They never reached those heights again, and turned into their own worst enemy...