The Black Crowes reunion

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by 65inside, Oct 3, 2019.

1. soma

soma Member

I discovered them the same time I was discovering the Seattle bands and their peers. It was all good music. They were still different enough from hair metal or poodle rock.

Guitar Stu and JumpinBradFlash like this.
  2. PdL

PdL Silver Supporting Member

Would have been cool if the Robinson brothers had reassembled the original lineup of TBC and played the SYMM album in it’s entirety @ a few small-venue shows.

Very unlikely Mr. Gorman would be included in such an endeavor but with Chris and Rich’s new & improved user-friendly personalities they might’ve been able to sweet talk Jeff Cease & Johnny Colt into participating. Add Chuck Levell (sp?) on piano & keys to the ensemble & all that’s remaining to secure is a good drummer. Probably no shortage of solid drummers out there who’d gladly take such a gig. (Definitely wouldn’t go with fellow in the latest/current rendition of The Black Crowes as, imo, he’s pretty weak.)

While I much prefer MFF’s guitar work in TBC to Jeff Cease’s it would have been neat to see the as-close-as-you’re-likely-to-get original version of the band that recorded & toured behind the SYMM back in the early ‘90s.

3. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

Cease didn't really play much in the studio, the engineer recorded most of the solos on SYMM. I didn't see their first tour, but I think Cease struggled playing solos as they were recorded live..

27sauce likes this.
  4. 83stratman

83stratman Supporting Member

Opinions are like @ holes. Everyone's got one.

Ampedusa likes this.
  5. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Silver Supporting Member

Brendan O’Brien played the hard to handle solos

6. soma

soma Member

Hence me saying 'I think' and not 'It's a fact that'...

Sheesh this thread.

Tiny Montgomery likes this.
  7. 27sauce

27sauce Member

He was(is?) pretty terrible live.

That said, this would be a downgrade for him, professionally, to take this gig.
    He’s been in a stadium act for the last 10 years.

PdL likes this.
  8. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Huh?

What Dead phase?

9. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

If you haven't read it, Hard to Handle is a blast. I'm about 3/4 of the way through over the last few days.

10. PdL

Brendan O’Brien played the guitar solos on 2x Hard, Jealous Again & Hard to Handle. Maybe on one or two other tunes as well but who knows... For certain though, that’s not Jeff Cease’s lead work on those three popular Crowes’ tracks. I don’t know if O’Brien has ever gone on record stating he’s played those three (great) guitar solos on the album but it’s pretty well-known that he did.

I was fortunate to catch one of TBC shows on the SYMM tour but @ nearly 30 years ago I can’t recall anything specific to Cease’s performance, save that it his solos weren’t so awful they cleared the room or were so amazing he received a standing ovation after each one. :) I’ve recall a few articles back in the early 90s in which the author used the verb struggled” to describe Cease’s lead playing during that tour. Jeff certainly wasn’t as proficient on guitar as most guys touring behind an rock album that’s rapidly climbing the charts, with their band soon be a huge success. But none of the members in TBC were all that adept @ playin their instruments @ that time. Aside from Chris & Rich’s ability to write strong originals & the former’s voice being a perfect fit for the type of music TBC played the whole band was pretty green. Cease was no more proficient on his instrument than Rich, Johnny or Steve were on theirs’.

Certainly not trying to champion Jeff’s as being an underrated lead player, or a diamond in the rough, or whatever. If it wasn’t immediately apparent from his leads on the album, once audio & videos bootlegs of TBC’s shows on the SYMM tour began making the rounds among the band’s fans it was clear Jeff was the weak link in the group. Some good examples of Cease’s rudimentary lead guitar abilities @ the time the video footage of TBC set & Pink Pop fest, circa 1990 or 1991.

To say replacing Jeff with MFF was a huge win for TBC doesn’t even begin to describe the extent of improvement in the band’s ability to knock it pit of the park on Chris & Rich’s compositions, both on stage & in the studio.

JumpinBradFlash, Darkburst and jcs like this.
  11. PdL

I wouldn’t say it’d be a major downgrade for Cease to do a couple shows w/ the pretty-close-the-original-lineup of TBC I layed out on my earlier post. Assuming the gigs didn’t require taking a lot of time off from his current group who knows, it might provide him with a welcome breath of fresh air as well as opportunity to have a good time playing w/ those guys again. (At least for a coupe weeks lol.) Plus there’s quite a few younger fans of TBC who have no idea who Jeff Cease or his relationship to the band. But then again who’s to say Cease GAS about any of that @ this point in his life & career.

But yeah, I defiantly agree w/ you that dropping his current big boy gig to sign on to the new Chris & Rich + their three hired hands version of The Black Crowes would be a huge step down for Jeff. Same for Johnny Colt I’d think, although I don’t know if he’s still plays in bands anymore. Last I heard Johnny had ended his stint as the bass player in Train & was running the business (businesses?) he founded full time.

12. 27sauce

27sauce Member

@PdL

The last time I saw Johnny Colt he was playing with Skynyrd. Maybe a year or two ago.

13. PdL

No sh*t? Colt playing in LS would have never crossed my mind in 100 years. Although come to think of it Johnny’ a perfect fit for them, both music-style wise & aesthetically. That’s a great get by JVZ or Rossington, or whoever was doing the hiring back then. When you saw that Skynyrd show was Billy Powell still in the band? Or was Gary the only original member still up & running?

14. 27sauce

27sauce Member

Gary was the only original.
    Colt really got into the gig!

AA864, Dale, Mark Ray and 1 other person like this.
  15. Ampedusa

Ampedusa Supporting Member

You made me look.

wntbtw likes this.
  16. 27sauce

27sauce Member

Yikes, and not just Cease...but mostly Cease.

17. tone4days

tone4days Member

I watched the videos from the Stern show wanting to really dig them.
    It was good but didnt recapture the old (or create any new) magic.
    Had a joyless quality - sad.
    Tim Lefebvre sounded super solid as always.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
    Dale, SDB and PdL like this.
  18. Nebakanezer

Nebakanezer Member

In a geographical anomaly, 2 weeks from everywhere
    A friend of mine saw BC went the cd came out and his take away was the opening band with Marc playing/singing in it. And after hearing the next cd, I knew what he was talking about.

19. PdL

Burning Tree, yes?

Nebakanezer likes this.
  20. macrofor

macrofor Macro Silver Supporting Member

From the video above it’s interesting how much louder Cease is than RR, that would begin to change very soon, to where it was often difficult to hear Marc’s solos, or whomever.

I saw a few shows in years past and when they got self indulgent and jammy, they basically lost most of the crowd. Not every band can pull that off, or play mid tempo all night. A lot of people come to rock out and be entertained and Chris was hoping and searching for magical moments while the crowd heard noodling.. hopefully they’re deciding to give the crowds (of 10,000 +) something to remember and entertain them.

the Page thing should’ve been a band discussion and they could’ve declined politely and showed appreciation for the reboot. But I watched videos of the shows and while he did whip up the crowd, his solos were kind of sloppy. But hey, we seem to know and expect that post ‘75. Still love him.

wntbtw, Darkburst and jcs like this.