The Black Crowes reunion

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by 65inside, Oct 3, 2019.

1. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Silver Supporting Member

Lots of sloppiness and clams all around...they sounded like a loose club band, which is what they were.

PdL and 27sauce like this.
  2. 27sauce

27sauce Member

They were thrust in to the spotlight before they were ready.

They’ve said it themselves, they didn’t have a ton of experience before the album.

No surprise parts had to be ghosted on the album. George Drakoulias probably deserves more credit for the sound and the songs than he gets.

3. leftyaxeslinger

leftyaxeslinger Supporting Member

Interesting takes on the readiness of the band.

I grew up in Atlanta and saw them when they were Mr Crowes Garden and sounded more like REM than the Stones - around 1986-87 ish. I even saw them play a party in someone's backyard before that.

I saw them a few more times in clubs. Slowly, they became more classic rock. I remember one time thinking they were going for an Aerosmith vibe, and then another time, they were heavier - sort like a GnR type vibe - but more rock and less metal.

So as far as how green or inexperienced they were - they had played a lot shows by then. But I was blown away when SYMM came out - not because of how good it is (I think it's a decent album) but because of much the vibe and style had changed from what I had previously heard and seen. We all thought they were just Stones 2.0 but had no idea how they got there from what we had heard before. Makes sense that managers and producers probably played a big part in their sound, but I don't think they were that green or that their rise any faster than a lot of bands.

EDIT - now that I think about it, I don't think I even knew they changed the name to the Black Crowes until a buddy brought the SYMM record over for a spin when it first came out.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
    Tim Bowen, wntbtw and jcs like this.
  4. jcs

jcs Member

What has always stood out was Chris voice...he carries himself well on a stage too.

The hippy jam band thing that CRB were leaning towards just didnt fly and Magpie Salute was decent but the crowds at shows were minimal with very little promotion.

I think Chris will keep it in the 'Otis Redding/James Brown' sort of thing if he's smart......stretching out a bit on a few songs is okay.

I would rather hear them cover Traffic 'Low Spark of High Heeled Boys' sort of thing if they need to stretch out a bit.

I like some of CRB and Magpie Salute and most of the Crowes so no hate here...i dont mind all new musicians either...you can always work one of the veteran Crowes players in a show or 2 as a guest.

5. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

I'd take the CRB over MS any day of the week.

supazar likes this.
  6. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Silver Supporting Member

good thing he Ceased.

As far as the solo acts go I prefer Rich’s actual solo albums like Flux.

I tried to get into the magpie thing but the singer turned me off. Lyrics, voice, presence...just did nothing for me.

CRB is hit or miss for me. Sometimes I could get into the Neal aspects of it and sometimes it comes across as hippie cheese. I don’t think the jamband Timothy Leary trip is the best use of Chris’s talents, either, nevermind how contrived it was.

frennis, Teleking, jcs and 1 other person like this.
  7. JumpinBradFlash

JumpinBradFlash Member

Not sure if it was mentioned earlier but sounds like they are gonna be doing a Brothers of a Feather run of shows early next year

Bluesful likes this.
  8. Bluesful

Cool.

I really like that live record they did.

JumpinBradFlash likes this.
  9. PdL

PdL Silver Supporting Member

It sounds like the audio used to synch w/ the video footage was coming right out of the FOH. If Rich had his amps dimed on stage (which was pretty much his m.o. from day one of TBC) his guitar would likely have been much louder coming off the stage than Jeff’s. To bring the volume of the two guitars more in line w/ each other, so the audience wouldn’t get bombarded with 70% Cease to 30% Rich, or vice versa, the FOH engineer would have run Rich’s guitar signal from the board to the PA @ a much lower level (dBs) than Jeff’s.

Similarly, in the video you can barely hear the bass guitar. Most likely that’s because Colt has his amp cranked & the bass was loud AF coming off the stage. With the bass blasting out of the cabs there’d be no need to run it through the PA @ really high level.

Bob Maximus likes this.
  10. Creighton

Creighton Member

What did you all think when you heard the Southern Harmony and Musical Companion?

jcs likes this.
  11. michaelvincent

michaelvincent Member

I don't know if anyone has touched on this yet, but I found it funny...

There's a story in Gorman's book about them trying to please their new label by recording a cover of "It's Only Rock and Roll" and it was a disaster. I wonder how intentional it is that the brothers are playing it on this tour.

As for the reunion itself...good for them for having a means to generate some bucks, I guess. I saw them 95, 96, 97 and 05, and those were some ******* magical shows. The new band sounds ok to me...they are doing what they were hired to do. I'm sure Isaiah Mitchell is looking forward to putting some of those bucks into Earthless, but it's too bad they aren't jamming when they hired a guy on whose whole MO in his other band is nothing but that.

jcs likes this.
  12. soma

soma Member

Maybe they'll all stretch out if this run of shows is popular and they don't murder each other.

13. leftyaxeslinger

leftyaxeslinger Supporting Member

Completely blown away by the growth of the band. Still one of my favorite albums.

This was before the internet gave away every detail of a band, a new release, telling us what they had for breakfast before recording vocals, dropping singles every week before the album came out etc...So my first listen to everything was when I saw the CD in a store and picked it up (I may have heard "Remedy' on the radio). It had the feel, sound and vibe of all those Zep and Jeff Beck group albums I loved.

14. HurricaneJesus

HurricaneJesus Member

Maybe I’m in the minority but I dig the jams. :dunno

Horn section? How many times are they gonna shoehorn “Big Ten Inch” into the set???

G&L guy likes this.
  15. 27sauce

27sauce Member

They haven’t even been playing Big Ten Inch! Haha

HurricaneJesus likes this.
  16. jcs

jcs Member

No sophomore slump here!

PdL likes this.
  17. jcs

jcs Member

Ha! Twisted Sister covered "It's Only Rock and Roll" at an early show once and it was great!

Yea the Crowes version i heard was alright but Chris has no business covering Jagger...Jagger is a Muddy Waters style shouter of sorts.....Faces, Humble Pie etc, plenty of other cool songs they could cover for fun.

18. Bluesful

Me too.

19. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

It was an interesting disc, you could hear their transformation into what they ultimately became. The first six tracks could have easily fit on SYMM, but the last songs really defined them.

Thorn In My Pride and Bad Luck Blue Eyes are probably my favorite songs from them.

Moby Dick and HurricaneJesus like this.
  20. Tiny Montgomery

Tiny Montgomery Supporting Member

I couldn’t imagine any of the SHMC songs on SYMM, sonically or the arrangements.

“Sting Me” is the first tune in the record, and it’s miles beyond anything on the first one. From the songwriting to the addition of Ford, Harsch, the background singers, and overall vibe, it’s night and day, imo.

Gspspinone, slogger, frennis and 8 others like this.