The Black Crowes

deedubs

They were on tour with Robert Plant when their first album came out. I was a young teenager and had to tell a little fib to my parents in order to go see the Black Crowes with my friend Mike and his older brother Joe. We called his brother Joe Foot. Anyway Joe Foot took us to see the show and the Black Crowes put on one of the best show's I've seen to date 30 something years later. I dont think anyone even cared about Robert Planet after their performance. Great band

robbinsteele

If your mind's made up,I won't give u the facts
Gold Supporting Member
Looks like the bros Robinson have decided to extend their Shake Your Wallet tour. Nice to see the lads are still getting along, or at least have found the pay out god rough to tolerate being in close proximity to each other for weeks on end. Here’s a link to the recently announced tour dates:

'shake your wallet' lmao

Brion

Silver Supporting Member
I ended up seeing them in Cincinnati when they came around, despite my reservations as a long time fan who prefers the jam band side. They still put on a dang good rock show, and I enjoyed it immensely. Still, I'd like to see them do some different material now, we've seen them do Money Maker, I'd like to see them evolve differently. They don't necessarily need to return to jam mode if that's not suiting their wider audience, but I'd think a tour focusing on their more rock-n-roll side from all of the albums would work.

As for their personalities, I always assumed Chris was the douche. My only first hand experience is meeting Rich at a Magpie Salute meet and greet, and he was rather pleasant and personable. However, given the way he reportedly disbanded Magpie, it seems they're definitely both douches.
I saw them open for Tom Petty at Riverbend back in 2005. Did you go to that show too?

Echoplexi

Gold Supporting Member
Did a show with them Saturday night (I work with STP) and they sounded great. Had a chance to hang with the guitar tech and check out Rich's rig. He had some nice guitars up there and 3 large rolling guitar cases....somewhere around 30 guitars. Amps were a Victoria, Handwired AC30 and a real 1968 Marshall Bluesbreaker. 2 Fulltone tape echos and a Ebo reverb. Didn't really look at the pedalboard but he had quite a switcher going on. Their stage volume was LOUD but it sounded killer. They're also still using an analog board out front for the mix. Sounded great and outdoor shows are often easier to get a good sound on since you're not dealing with venue acoustics. Played the entire first album.

Wow, I didn’t realize that Bluesbreaker was a real one. I assumed it was a reissue. They sounded great when I saw them last summer, and yeah loud as hell

6strang

Silver Supporting Member
B8D74865-9827-41A2-A78F-95222A396BB2.jpeg

Here is a pic of the Saturday night rig from Mt. Pleasant, Michigan show. Great tone and loved the band.

Gspspinone

Silver Supporting Member
Did anyone see them in Bridgeport last night? If you did, I'd be curious to know what you thought of the mix. Sounded like one big mess of frequencies. Could barely hear Chris. Even when he was talking you couldn't clearly hear what he was saying. It was loud enough so no issue there. On rare occasion when one guitar was playing and the rest of the band quieted down, the tone of that guitar was great. There was a reverb/echo to everything and when the whole band was playing you really couldn't hear the singer or guitarists that well. Just the overall chords of the entire band playing together if that makes sense.

For me it was disappointing, but since I know the songs, my brain filled in the rest. For my wife that was a different story. If I played any of the songs for her now, she wouldn't even recognize them from the concert.
I was at the Bridgeport show…the mix was horrid all night. Never quite got fully balanced and overall was a bit trebly. They’d get Isiah’s guitar up but then you couldn’t hear Chris, then they’d get Chris up in the mix but there’s go Rich…etc. first show I’ve seen at that venue so not sure if it was a venue issue or an engineer issue?

Saw them last summer in Hartford and the sound/mix was fantastic.

Last edited:

blues

Silver Supporting Member
Just curious, do Van Halen threads or Metallica threads or Neil Young threads or threads about the countless other artists that have acted like right c**ts towards their former band mates get this same treatment?

Anyone would think egotistical band members treating others poorly was a rare occurrence in the history of rock n roll and the Chris and Rich are the thorns and a vast industry of sweet smelling roses.

Thank you, My thoughts as well.

DirtLover

Saw 'em Saturday night. The band sounded good but I had an issue with the sound as well and this from a venue that usually has it dialed in. It was too dang loud! 3-4 songs in and it's just a jumbled mess, no separation just volume and ear fatigue. I did like the show but I eventually left our seats to take a break and judging from the massive stream of early departures filing past I wasn't the only one.

Maybe I'm just getting old but I was psyched for this show, was partying and having a good time, I've never been opposed to loud concerts. I do regret not having ear plugs, which, I've never needed at this venue... next time!

Smacky the Frog

Gold Supporting Member
Saw 'em Saturday night. The band sounded good but I had an issue with the sound as well and this from a venue that usually has it dialed in. It was too dang loud! 3-4 songs in and it's just a jumbled mess, no separation just volume and ear fatigue. I did like the show but I eventually left our seats to take a break and judging from the massive stream of early departures filing past I wasn't the only one.

Maybe I'm just getting old but I was psyched for this show, was partying and having a good time, I've never been opposed to loud concerts. I do regret not having ear plugs, which, I've never needed at this venue... next time!

Has Rich started playing Harry Joyce again? The mid-90's seeing that band was an exercise in moving away from Rich

So worth it. It's just like an attenuator on an amp. If there's a loss of tone it's slight and the benefits are awesome.

As someone that has tinnitus these are mandatory for me at a show and I've never had a problem with ears ringing afterwards.

PatrickE_FenderADV

Silver Supporting Member

My last time seeing them was in a smaller club (House of Blues Orlando in 2013)… it was the single loudest concert I have ever been to in my life. My ears are still ringing.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom