• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

The Black Keys - Lonely Boy Guitar Effect

straightblues

I always thought it was a wammy bar dive or the tuner being rolled down quickly. But I watched that video and saw it was a pedal. I am sure live you could pull it off a few different was and come out close.

Killcrop

Silver Supporting Member
I play it live with my band and I just use my Strat. It takes a little practice to get the timing down but I think we do it just like the record.

mwazowicz

There was a video of it on YouTube from
MSG I think and he was stepping on a boss pedal, don't know which one though but I think it was blue. I've been using a line 6 pod bender set to drop 14 steps. The riff is in E but I think the low note is a D.

as stated, dan uses the ps-5 on flutter effect, which takes him down an octave. but you can easily do it with a whammy or an actual whammy bar.

jshape

I read an interview about the gear Dan used in the studio for this record and he said he used a strat with the p/u selector on the first position for the main riff. He said he just depressed the whammy bar to achieve that effect.

Sorry, but that's way off. Don't know where you read this interview, but someone got their info twisted. Been following the Keys, and never in that whole time gave I seen Dan play a Strat.

dhdfoster

Gold Supporting Member
Sorry, but that's way off. Don't know where you read this interview, but someone got their info twisted. Been following the Keys, and never in that whole time gave I seen Dan play a Strat.

Phew, glad someone nipped this in the bud.

CyberFerret

LOL - I remember my son playing that in his school band a few years ago when he was about 12. He used his Gretsch with a Bigsby on it, and did the dive with his LEFT hand reaching over and depressing the Bigsby arm while he plucked the string...

EDIT: Found a video of them practising - My son is the guitarist closest to the camera... They ended up playing this song for former Australian education minister Peter Garret (ex Midnight Oil singer)...

SUPROficial

Been following the Keys, and never in that whole time gave I seen Dan play a Strat.

danblakroc.jpg

4726909469_c2ff0c4e3e.jpg

There's Stratocaster all over the Blakroc record, you see him playing it in some of the "making of" videos.

Countstoneula

Boss PS-5 super shifter, but there's more than one way to come close. And also you'd be surprised how many different guitars/amps are used on a record or single song for that matter that the guitarist normally isn't seen playing live with.
Even the solo to Stairway to Heaven was played on a telecaster, yet how often is Page seen playing one for that song live.

Top Bottom