The blessing of being poor...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 70' s Tone, Dec 5, 2018.

1. A3-21

A3-21 Member

No, common sense and discipline does.

dpark89, Dale, Comanche5 and 29 others like this.
  2. Rayzaa

Rayzaa Member

LOL, well i dont even spend $1000 on a guitar and its not because of my financial limitations, its my dont really need them. There are a couple id still love to have but cant justify buying them. Thats just the way i am. I have a Strat and SG (as far as electrics) and would like to have a Variax JTV-69S and a Yamaha 611 but like i said above......especially the Variax. I feel id have to sell the other two because the Variax would replace them but it cant replace the 611.

fretless likes this.
  3. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

I started building my own instead of buying. It's a blessing and a curse.

Fidelis, Dale, HammyD and 9 others like this.
  4. Frozen Rat

Frozen Rat Gold Supporting Member

What is holding me back is my own anxiety. For some reason having more than two guitars makes me anxious. I'm a bit of a minimalist at heart: if I'm not using it, it needs to go. When I have 3 or more guitars there's always one or two that get 90% of the play time and then I start thinking I need to get rid of the one, or ones, that aren't getting as much play time. Now that I have two I don't have that bit of flotsam clogging up my mind. I really don't understand how anyone can keep 20 guitars around. I guess they call themselves collectors, which would be right; I guess I don't understand collector mentality as I've never been one. If I could live in a two room house in the desert with only just what I needed on a daily basis, I'd probably be OK with that. I'd have to have fast Internet and the latest iPhone and best MacBook Pro though. Oh, and an HD TV. Forget it, I'd better stay where I am.

5. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

Wow, that was much more than I was expecting. :D

noley likes this.
  6. Frozen Rat

Frozen Rat Gold Supporting Member

I'm a writer, I like to write, a lot, you can't shut me up, I go on and on and on, way past the point of absolute necessity...

7. Nebakanezer

Nebakanezer Silver Supporting Member

In a geographical anomaly, 2 weeks from everywhere
    Living within my means has been my barometer for a while now. That and ability........ I have some fine specimens, but have never paid over a grand for a guitar or amp. Paying $150 for a pedal is pushing it too. I’m not saying I won’t spend more, I will just make sure all avenues of my life are well taken care of first.

Hamer95USA and pepedede like this.
  8. sahhas

sahhas Member

I’m not rich, but probably not poor either, but honestly even if I could afford these, I wouldn’t want them, guitars are tools that are meant to be played... plus I question a ‘63 Strat as the rarest? What about some 50s strats... but if I was rich I’d put my money towards some cool car if I’m talking 200+ k... but that’s me

9. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

There are billionaires in the guitar community. There are also those near penniless. Most are somewhere in between. Some reveal exactly where they stand by starting a complaint thread about prices and how frustrated they feel.

C-4 and Magnets And Melodies like this.
  10. bluesoul

bluesoul Silver Supporting Member

Nope! I am really to snag all three of these "very highly coveted guitars". The only thing holding me back right now is I can't remember where in the back yard I buried all that cash??? I'm digging and not finding. Kinda sucks having millions buried back there and poor memory.

11. OldN'inTheWay

OldN'inTheWay Member

It's like anything...if you have that kind of disposable income, then go for it.

Personally, a guitar is only as good to me if it sounds / feels / plays good in my hands. Many guitars in the $500 to $1000 range will get me there. However, I do own several guitars that cost upwards of $2000 to $2500. Those are luxury items ( or "treats" for myself ) as far as I'm concerned, but I like them for what they are and they serve me well. I don't really need anything more expensive than that.

Practicing will get me the tones and technique that I need, more so than purchasing more gear, regardless of cost.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  12. naveed211

naveed211 Member

I just have copious amounts of debt!

I’m paying off a Guild acoustic on affirm right now.

I’m paying down credit card debt from other life stuff. That and my other expenses has me limiting my purchases. So technically I have the money, but it would be foolish to buy more guitars versus putting the money to other expenses.

stryker59 and 70' s Tone like this.
  13. Oinkus

Oinkus Member

Poor as dirt my whole life , if I desire something I figure out how to acquire it. Took me 5 years to build my Custom Tele Partscaster , 1 piece at a time. Make a plan and stick to it. I don't really look at or examine things I have zero chance of being able to afford.

keefsdad, seward, Tidbit and 2 others like this.
  14. panther_king

panther_king Supporting Member

I'm always unsure if OP just strictly a troll account, or only 50/50 troll.

15. Hallogallo

Hallogallo Member

Ironically, I think financial limitation have been a blessing in my life.

70' s Tone likes this.
  16. keefsdad

keefsdad Member

I quite enjoy the challenge of getting good sounds on a low budget. My Monoprice Indio Tele and 15 watt amp cost me $480 Canadian delivered, and they sound great.

70' s Tone likes this.
  17. Silent Sound

Silent Sound Member

I'm not interested in rare guitars. I don't see the appeal. If you want to impress people with a guitar, get good at it. If you want to impress people with how much money you have, buy them things.

Me, I'm perfectly happy with my old PRS McCarty. It's the only guitar I'll ever truly love, despite all of it's flaws. It's the only one that feels right in my hands, and the only one that sounds like me.

Hamer95USA, Tommy Biggs and johnkoz like this.
  18. strumnhum

strumnhum Member

I'm in good financial shape now, but wasn't always that way. Guess the way I grew up, and my early married years taught me well on how to handle money. Plus, I'm only playing now for my enjoyment, and occasionally practice with some new found friends. If I was to start gigging again, and making a few dollars at it, might treat myself to a new guitar, or amp. Just finished having composite wood flooring put in our family room, the stairs and whole upper level newly carpeted, and a new field hydrant installed in the yard. Glad to finally have the funds to be able to afford it. As much as I enjoy playing, there are just too many other things "lower on the totem pole" (did you know the lower on a totem pole, the higher the figure was regarded!) And, like others, I take some pride in getting good sounds out of lower priced equipment.

Hamer95USA likes this.
  19. Mikhael

Mikhael Member

If I had the money, I still wouldn't buy those guitars. I would have a couple built for me with the stuff *I* want on them.