The blessing of being poor...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 70' s Tone, Dec 5, 2018 at 12:38 PM.

1. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

Pretty much this. I grew up poor and I think it's why I am at heart a bit of a hoarder and it's playing into my GAS in a bad way, but by now I know that I wont play better if I have ten guitars rather than five, or if I have some ultra collectible vintage piece instead of the good current ones I have. The price of those in the OP are way beyond utility value, and at this point, it's pretty much all I care about

between my hoarder instinct and GAS flaring up when I'm stressed out, it does take more discipline than it should not to by yet another one though.

A3-21 likes this.
  2. aiq

aiq Supporting Member

3. JDutch

JDutch Member

Agreed with other posters. Paying that kind of money for something that's functionally equivalent to a $5,000 to $10,000 guitar is ridiculous. Buying something like that as an investment may be more ridiculous: (1) you're buying high, which is always risky, and (2) the already small market for ultra high-end vintage instruments appears to be dwindling.

If someone has A LOT of money and wants to spend it on a passion purchase, okay. Otherwise, I have trouble understanding the logic or appeal.

4. cubistguitar

cubistguitar Member

If your serious, yes being poor and playing guitar kinda sucks.

But I am blessed with some quality instruments and will add more, but if I manage a new one every 2-3 years, I’m lucky. Crossing fingers for a cheap import PRS this year(custom 24 SE), hoping I can scrape 500-700 bucks together at some point for a used one.

noley likes this.
  5. Deadicated

Deadicated Member

I'm not poor but I'm far from rich. It all just depends on your perspective. If I had the money I probably wouldn't be able to build guitars or effects. Now I always get them just how I want them.

6. bobcs71

bobcs71 Member

I can’t complain about financial limitations. We moved to a house (fixer upper) on a lake in January and all the money goes there now. I’m selling some gear but life is good.

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  7. GtrGeorge!

GtrGeorge! Member

Be encouraged: It worked out very well for Brian May.

70' s Tone and T Dizz like this.
  8. GtrGeorge!

GtrGeorge! Member

I really appreciate this thread. A really good topic to bring up.
    Me? Hard times a long time ago forced me to see things in proportion. Do I want to save an animals life, or help a person...Or instead take that money and buy a vanity instrument (this weeks flavor)? I have to make a choice. I know when I see an animal pulled out of the slaughter line...or a friend getting the support they need..I have done good in this World. I'm not perfect, but I do respect my own decisions. I don't play guitars that cost me more than $500. I don't see the point. An expert carpenter doesn't need a $3,000 hammer to drive a nail. My ears tell me I am NOT missing out at all. In fact, all my experiences tell me..staying true to your inner self is the most important thing. Not the STUFF that adorns you. I have focused on Brian May lately. That guy grew up poor. Pennies in a jar-Poor. That's poor. Did it hold him back? Not at all. Fantastic guitarist AND a phd in AstroPhysics!!!! It made him better. Please don't think the guitar maketh the player..that's a lie. YOU, and your self is what matters.

ckyrost, naveed211 and Hamer95USA like this.
  9. Jazzandmore

Jazzandmore Gold Supporting Member

Well only because he could really play it. Lots of threads on guys putting their own together. Few threads on guys being founding members of incredibly famous bands or writing songs that will be remembered for decades to come. ;)

10. Ps28

Ps28 Member

Jack Pearson played a Squier and two tubescreamers into a blues Junior and sounds better to me than 99% of guitarists.

apalazzolo and Hamer95USA like this.
  11. prodrigu

prodrigu Supporting Member

The real blessing of being poor is being able to focus on what really matters which is playing your guitar.

12. cubistguitar

cubistguitar Member

^^^This^^^

13. Jazzandmore

Jazzandmore Gold Supporting Member

Likely very few of us on here could easily afford any of those guitars. Not so much financial limitations as job limitations. Many of us do not have jobs that make that kind of cash expenditure on any item a possibility.

And yep many of us grew up poor. As we became adults there where decisions we made that were based on how we were raised, where we lived, etc. It's important to live within one's means, but that's different things for different people.

My brother has 6 kids, but doesn't have a high paying job. I took care of a disabled parent for 18 years, and early on went bankrupt from the bills and had to make a very radical job change in order to keep supporting that parent. I never had kids, but I have a lot of gear. Each of us made choices that cost money, and each of us lives within our means.

There are lots of poor people and I don't think they are necessarily more creative or play better music than a person that's middle class. I'm always a bit lost of what people mean when they talk about playing their guitar and focusing on their music. There are millions of guitar players out there spending varying amounts of time playing. I honestly don't think one economic class is somehow better at playing their guitar and focusing on music. Does being poor mean that people spend more hours playing guitar than if you are middle class? Do they learn something about the notes and chords that those not poor don't learn?

Living within one's means is a good thing but that doesn't mean we all will have the same things or the same priorities. In the end each has to manage their lives, and set their goals. And we still recognize the reality that not everyone will have the same opportunities in life. That is the part that is bad, that everyone doesn't get the opportunity to fully explore the possibilities for their life.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 9:55 AM
    Krausewitz, ckyrost, epauley and 2 others like this.
  14. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Well it's that + lack of funds for me.

15. SmartAlex

SmartAlex Supporting Member

What’s holding me back is time. I have none. I own a business, am a father and 98% of my time is devoted to being the best at both. Although, they are going to a concert tomorrow night so that means I have the house to myself for like 6 hours so the 3 guitars I own (Gibson Les paul, fender Strat, and Jackson dk2m) will get much love!

16. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Member

A period of unexpected poverty re-ordered my priorities somewhat, and I've had a lot of fun discovering lower echelon gems during the last couple of years. There are some very fine guitars out there if one is prepared to look beyond the name on the headstock.

Thumpalumpacus and Ryno1331 like this.
  17. gibson3798

gibson3798 Member

Thank goodness for the volunteer para-moderators...

18. 70 Mach 1

70 Mach 1 Supporting Member

I always justify price by saying it isnt going to make me play any better than my $800 strats.
    That ends the gas right there

19. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
    I make 18K take home yearly from working for the State. I make another 7K playing music.

I have always had 2 jobs. I was brought up to appreciate fine instruments, and have saved and done whatever I needed too to make sure I had the gear I wanted to play and not have to settle for anything. I've been this way all of my life.

Being "poor" should not mean having to go without. It is what you personally want to play on and you alone convince yourself of this.

I convinced myself that I could play on any gear I wanted. Yes, it takes me some time to save up for it, but this is what I like to play on and what I enjoy, so I work and do what I need too to enjoy what I do.

This past year, I sold off some guitars I was not playing, and bought some that I will be and am playing. I didn't settle for any of the ones I chose.

I will not be told I "can't". When I want something, I set goals and stick to my plan.

I am now at a point where I have exactly what I want to use, and am happy.
    This includes a 2018 M2M R9, 2016 RI '63 335, a Vigier S-type, 3 XOX Audio Tools carbon fiber guitars, a 2007 Les Paul Studio Faded I just found in near mint condition, a Kemper toaster, 2 Marshalls, a Line 6 HX FX and some other stuff. If that changes, I will adapt accordingly. Yes, I am poor by most standards, but I refuse to allow that to hold me back.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 12:01 PM
    Ryno1331 and epauley like this.
  20. dazco

dazco Member

i used to have the $ for what I would call expensive guitars but never spent 5k on one. But now i'm poor and it doesn't matter because i long since came to realize the difference between what i use now and guitars 3 times the price is one of two hundred bucks worth of hardware and/or pickups and knowing how to work on them. I have nothing today i paid more then $500 for used and one has been my #1 for near 20 years and i have absolutely never had the slightest desire to replace it because it's literally as perfect as anything i have had at any price. I'm firmly of the belief that if the design and wood species is the same then thats 95% of the battle. he rest is a few bucks worth of parts. Theres no magic in super high build quality or any of that. I've had like guitars where one has a sloppy pocket and overall mediocre build that sounded fantastic. In fact i have yet to see lack of build quality make a difference ever aside from playability, and I've always been able to fix that. This is all especially true today more then ever. I don't think anyone has to pay over a grand of a great guitar, and thats being generous. Personally for me the amount is more like $600-800.

snakestretcher likes this.