The blessing of being poor...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 70' s Tone, Dec 5, 2018 at 12:38 PM.

1. Digidog

Digidog Member

Even if I were wealthy enough to afford those prices, I wouldn't want any of these guitars.

First, and foremost: They are all righties. I'm a lefty.

Second, and important too: I'm not interested in vintage gear. Those things belong in a museum, as archaeologists say.

Third, and not so important: Even if I were a righty player, I don't think that items of common interest for historical reasons - if those guitars can be said to be of common interest - are interesting to own for my own sake. It would be more productive (as well as interesting) to have them as instruments for loaning to proficient players in f.ex. a studio, or as scholarship instruments; like violins that can be applied for playing over a certain time by great players or promising students.

2. musekatcher

musekatcher Member

Yep, I can't limit my increasing financial spending. Murphys Law at work, if you have it, you will spend it. But I will say my favorite solid body cost me less than $250, and my favorite flattop was less than $700. And I've got five figure guitars too...yikes...

3. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

FYI...Some folks cannot afford a cellphone or computer internet. They use computers and internet access at their local library. ;)

4. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

Welcome back!! We missed you! :D

5. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

Friend, you are reading WAY too much into this. Relax. ;)

6. SmartAlex

SmartAlex Supporting Member

Haha, aw schucks. LOL

7. Rhythm Rocker

Rhythm Rocker Member

Agreed, well said. OP's threads are always an excuse to post photos of those Supro amps w/Epi guitars or Tele. Wait for it, it will happen. He will probably quote this as an excuse to post them.

Again, I agree and well said.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018 at 3:34 PM
  8. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

Lets be clear - being poor doesn't suck unless you let it overtake your life.
    Being wealthy is universally better than being poor - but doesn't make your
    life better - but it does make solving any issues considerably easier.

And that said if you had really wanted those guitars you could have found a way
    acquire them - no matter your economic circumstance.

9. Papanate

Being a Great Musician and Songwriter is what worked out for Brian May.
    If he wasn't - his guitar would be another quirky piece on Craigslist for
    $100.

10. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

I have those weird “anxiety” thoughts too. For whatever reason, Ive found that 5 guitars is my comfort level.

11. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

Don't have much money, don't own but two guitars and two amps right now, don't GAS out on stuff ... it works for me.

12. NeedmoreCrunch

NeedmoreCrunch Member

BOOM!

13. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Member

I don't know, in my opinion and experience it mostly limit me.

It's not like I would go out and waste money on an "emperor's new clothes" butique guitar or a vintage Fender P Bass, or have my pickguard made of solid gold with diamond inlays, just because I had the money.

I might have a custom guitar and bass made, that in the end turn out not to be any better than much cheaper mass produced medium priced basses and guitars, but that is about the most stupid thing I would do.

In reality my dream bass is a Jerry Jones Longhorn bass (higher quality, high end clone of the Danelectro one), which can be had for around 1000$ used, if you are lucky to find one, as they are not in production anymore.
    And my dream guitar is a Westbury Standard, that was only produced between '79 and '81.
    Has a Di'Marzio PAF59 in neck position and a Super Distortion in bridge position, man does it sound and feel amazing to play.
    Such a guitar can be had for about 600-700$ used, again if you are lucky to find one.

That's not exactly a fortune, but non the less they are amazing instruments, dare I say perfect instruments, for me at least, still though a lot more than I can afford.

The most stupid thing about that is that I once owned both, but by some retarded impulse I was stupid enough to sell both.

Being poor is not a blessing, not for me at least, it's a curse.

When that is said my Ibanez GSRM20 Mikro Bass and my Epiphone SG Special electrical guitar are actually surprisingly decent instruments, considering how cheap they are.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018 at 8:41 PM
  14. Ron Kirn

Ron Kirn Gold Supporting Member

the blessings of being poor ??? .. well it has been said that the meek will inherit the Earth... problem is, what do ya do with it once ya have it . . ya gonna take it to the Gold & Silver Pawn Shop in "Vegas" 'n see what Rick will give ya for it? And isn't Vegas ON the Earth that ya now own... is that a paradox or what?? God, these forums can be so confusing.. :D

15. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Member

Yes, I agree that that price range seems to be where the cost/benefit ratio curve seems to flatten off. There really are some great bargains to be had, now more than ever. Far East manufacture has got things sorted, finally.

16. scr@tchy

scr@tchy Member

Being unrich caused me to learn to do fret jobs

17. Silver

Silver Member

There's an interview, where Bob Marley is asked whether he's a rich man. His response was "What is rich?" I'm sure there's room for philosophical thinking on the flipside of the coin, but I doubt in the literal sense that many of us here on these boards would qualify as truly poor.

I've had to remind myself recently, that I'd rather be skint and 'poor' with some gear to play with, than doing marginally better financially and having no gear. I have three guitars (A superstrat, a set neck, and a Squier Tele), a pedalboard, a mixer, and a pair of monitors. That's it. With discipline, I can just about make rent and eat each month. There's a strong probability that, if my health doesn't improve, I'll have to start getting rid over the next couple of months. Being ill sucks.

What is poor?

18. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

Not cheap, inexpensive. ;):)

19. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

I’m in a career place I can afford pretty much anything I want. I still gig regularly, but I have all the gear I’ll ever need and feel no compulsion or GAS at all.

20. Papanate

I didn’t say this.