The Blue Chip Roll Call

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Shiny McShine, Feb 28, 2012.

Roll Call

1. I use them

2. There is no second option; I'm looking for a count

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

I use the Blue Chip 40 and it's the ultimate for me. What Blue Chip do you like?

Haters, please stay out. This is for owners only.

2. 78deluxe

78deluxe Member

I literally don't leave home without one.

And I have plenty in the home....

TAD80-1R
    TAD60-1R
    XR-60
    TAD100-1R

TAD80-1R gets the most use currently. TAD60-1R might be the most toneful though on a guitar.

3. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

I guess the next question is how do you carry? I keep mine in a little computer memory card plastic case and tuck it in my watch pocket in jeans.

4. 78deluxe

78deluxe Member

I actually carry 2 most of the time.

TAD60-1R in my wallet. Wallet is really a bifold credit card/drivers license holder.

The TAD80-1R I carry in a Blue Chip FOB keychain pick pouch

http://shop.bluechippick.net/products/Bluechip-Pick-Pouch.html

LOVE that thing.

5. davidmullis

davidmullis Member

Love the Blue Chips.
    Now own 2 x Jazz60LG, Jazz80LG, TAD60 and a TP60. Have an STP60 on the way.

6. jbraun002

jbraun002 Member

I have a TD40 and a JD Crowe Thumbpick. I used to play banjo (hence the thumbpick), but I've since been using it with my tele. Very nice for comping work in jazz AND it actually can function fairly nicely as a flatpick at the same time.

I love Blue Chips.

7. Paleolith54

Paleolith54 Member

Jazz 50 electric, Jazz 50 LG acoustic. Gravity Razer and Razer mini (1.5) on mic stand for backup.

8. CA$H FLOW

CA$H FLOW Member

I use a Jazz 50, gives a great sound and feels smooth.

9. cubistguitar

cubistguitar Member

Jazz 80
    much want Jazz 60, 50, 40 !!!

10. alguit

alguit Member

Three TD 40's which I guard carefully and use joyfully!

Alan

11. starjag

starjag Member

TPR-60... my #1 pick!

[​IMG]

12. talpa

talpa Member

Got a TD50 unbeveled this summer, still use it daily prob. 90%, mixed in with some daily tossoff Fender Extra-Hvys in white.

My top pick of all time is the handful remaining from my original gross of mid-80's white 70's style font Fender Extra Heavy's that had that very slight cream/yellow tint in the matrix:

[​IMG]

Nothing beats the chirp, slight grab, yet smooth string transistion of that large script. Even in the photo you can see a smoother transition from edge to flat, like the tortoise on the right. Used for recording only.

Just ordered TD40 with bevel this time to compare..why not i guess. Daily stage driver on left (foreign made junk - u can see the fail) - toss after a couple songs.

A thanks again to forum member Bill who earlier this year sent me some old stash he had of the large scripts...will take all comers.

I would invest in co. xx to reproduce the exact composite in the 80's Fender.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  13. screamtone

screamtone Supporting Member

TD40 and TD50. I own two of each. Always a TD50 on acoustic, and I switch between the 40 and 50 on electric. I have one of those keychain pick holders.

14. FrankyNoTone

FrankyNoTone Member

I agree, the pre-90's fat script Fender with the copyright R that is not circled are the best celluloid picks I have.

After that, the thin script Fenders that are still creamy/translucent are darker toned with less snap. And the opaque 2000's made in China with the bad labeling sound rough/scratchy:

[​IMG]

I'd be curious for a comparison between the old style Fenders and the beveled BC.

15. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

Can any of you offer comparative insights about the bevels? I just ordered my first Blue Chip - a TD-50 - with a round bevel. It was the only choice other than right or left hand. I figured it'd be a safe bet. I'm hoping I made a good choice of guage, as well... I wanted something that was thinner than the Dunlop Gator Grip 2mm I've been using, but that didn't have much give. So,fairly thin but stiff. I've just been falling out of love with the Gator Grip lately.... It's too muddy on my 335 - I've been using an Ultex there. Same with my Nocaster, with which I've been using a Gravity Classic - way better note definition and sparkle, but I'm tiring of the thickness. Plus, the Gravity is a bit slick. I almost never drop picks, but that one seems to want to fly into the audience sometimes. Lol.

16. talpa

talpa Member

Spent last evening demoing the TD40 compared to TD50.

For me - I need a TD45, I can tell that would be ideal. May send it back for another TD50. The 40 has great attack & quiet on the strings/release etc. but I need a bit more stiffness but less than the 50.

Blue Chip can you custom a TD45 ?

17. carty

carty Member

CT55 and a kenny smith for acoustic and a TD35 for electric

18. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

TD 50s with no bevel for me!

i have 4 and have probably lost 3 or 4 over the last few years :bonk
    to this day i remember the night one fell out of my hand and disappeared between the wooden slats of a beach deck stage, turning my $100 fill-in gig into a $65 fill-in gig :cry:

the ones that i've kept i've managed to actually wear out to the point they now have a bevel like you'd order them with in the first place! not thrilled by that, but getting multi-year use out of just 4 picks is pretty damn good!

i like that between these picks and the rechargeable batteries i use for my in-ears and wireless, there's no "consumables" to run out of at the gig in any of my guitar rigs except for strings.

19. Pa'ani

Pa'ani Supporting Member

For me there's a CT-55, Jazz 80LG that I've been using for several months now. Recently, I ordered a Jazz 60LG and a STP50. I will be sending back the STP50, it's not working out for me. So I'll either get another Jazz 80LG or try a TD style.

The Blue Chip picks feel,plays and sounds just incredible!

20. justin_fraser

justin_fraser Member

The only blue chip I have so far is a TD45 and it is a truly fantastic pick. The only thing with a custom pick like this is that they do not offer the same 30 day guarantee. However, if you know what you want is between 40 and 50, there is not much risk involved.