• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

The Blues are for hacks

I think its easier to be a blues hack than it is to be a country,jazz, or even rock hack

but there is nothing easy about good "no hack at all" blues guitar...im not just talking speed/technical ability...im talking feel, phrasing

look at the stuff srv or bb or others have played in music notation or tab...looks simple...NOW try to play it like them...good luck!!!!

cue311

"The blues are for hacks". "Jazz is for snobs." "Classical is for the highbrows". "Country is for hicks."

If you choose to live in your little world of cliche's, that's your choice I guess... can't we all just enjoy the music we choose to enjoy ?? :dunno:phones

no! *scold*

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Silver Supporting Member
Myself, I don't see why it would be a problem even if blues were for hacks. Why shouldn't hacks be entitled to enjoy playing music, too?

Walk into a kindergarten room. Ask the young students who can sing, play, paint, and dance. Every hand rises. Wait 30 years, ask the same people the same question, and almost no hands go up. Why? Only because, in the intervening years, people like the OP told them they shouldn't unless they meet judgmental external standards.

One of the things I still love so much about New Orleans is, people's ability here, just guys on the street, is well above the level of awareness and aptitude of the average European or Canadian or American suburb. I'm constantly being knocked out by people who work as waiters or in a department store. We're just so many chairs deeper than the average community.

And, this makes coping with average players so much easier because average is pretty serious.

I have a thin skin about people who play lousy and just have no feel for music. I seriously wonder if I chose New Orleans as a 16-17 year old student to get away from the less blessed amongst us.

The paradox is, I get upset with myself and "bench" myself. Sometimes my output is not even good enough for my ears. :^

I wake up at night and cannot get back to sleep, because of how badly (I felt) I performed one night years ago. Years ago. I'd like to be "open" and "tolerant" like Jon recommends but that's not as easy to do as some people think.

Blues as a genre is good medicine because I get back to what is going on in my heart and stop fearing the way my hands are so calloused, puffy and stupid and won't do what they're asked to do. It can serve as a pathway back into playing more complex and creative stuff.

Scott Miller

The blues is for people who like the blues. Some of those people might be hacks as musicians, but a lot of them aren't.

Some of those hacks who play blues don't even like blues. It's a mystery to me why they play blues.

ksandvik

I must say, I prefer any other kind of blues than the West Coast swing which is so formulated, boring, artificial and otherwise not fun to play (at least for me.)

Phletch

What about people who are not "blues" players yet have a strong command of the vocabulary and nuances of the blues and either play "the blues" or incorporate "bluesy" feel into their non-blues playing? Two I can think of off-hand being Larry Carlton and Tomo Fujita. Are they "hacks"?
:munch

jbert

Myself, I don't see why it would be a problem even if blues were for hacks. Why shouldn't hacks be entitled to enjoy playing music, too?

Walk into a kindergarten room. Ask the young students who can sing, play, paint, and dance. Every hand rises. Wait 30 years, ask the same people the same question, and almost no hands go up. Why? Only because, in the intervening years, people like the OP told them they shouldn't unless they meet judgmental external standards.

brilliant

Scott Miller

What about people who are not "blues" players yet have a strong command of the vocabulary and nuances of the blues and either play "the blues" or incorporate "bluesy" feel into their non-blues playing?

Nothing surprising about that. Blues is a musical form that introduced some really awesome musical concepts that anyone can play in a lot of different types of music.

Freddie Roulette... I jammed with him a bunch several years ago, it was really fun. There's nothing like playing a slow blues with Freddie.

homerayvaughan

Silver Supporting Member

Wow. Sig worthy!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom