The Bogner Shiva

Gas Hed

Tell me what you know about it TGP. Timeless or past it’s time? I had the head for a very brief period but matched it with Creambacks, not sure that was the best pairing for this amp. At any rate I’m suddenly drawn to its simplicity and higher gain compressed capability. Thinking the 1x12 combo.

Stormin

Tele's and Plexis
Tell me what you know about it TGP. Timeless or past it’s time? I had the head for a very brief period but matched it with Creambacks, not sure that was the best pairing for this amp. At any rate I’m suddenly drawn to its simplicity and higher gain compressed capability. Thinking the 1x12 combo.

I gigged one for about 10 years - it’s a fantastic sounding amp that’s definitely in the “modern Marshall” camp. Mine was the original, silver back EL34 model without reverb. They absolutely sound better without the onboard reverb. The effects loop on the Shiva is also the biggest PITA you’ll ever find. Even after building the special cable with the resistors, it was still a challenge to find gear that worked well with the loop. I always ran a TC Nova Reverb in the loop.

I gigged it with the matching Bogner OS 2x12 with both V30’s and later a Creamback M+H pair. I almost always stayed on the crunch channel and rarely used the clean. I always ran an OD in front of the amp and that gave me 4 real tone options: clean channel, clean + OD, crunch channel, crunch + OD. Mine also had a factory mod for variable boost on the crunch channel that I used for solo boosts.

Eventually I moved on to single channel NMV Marshalls, which better suited my needs. This is my rig from back then…

index.php

Last edited:

Babow2

Live gigs killed here
Silver Supporting Member
I had a 1x12 6L6 combo. I loved the tones, and still fondly wish I had those tones. However, the FX loop was a major PITAduring a time when I (and do many othersZ0 were using Rx I mounted effects. It weighed more than an elephant, which is saying a lot since I also played Mesas then. The weight and the loop became too frustrating for me at the time. But, the tones……ah……

Trending Topics

Top Bottom