1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Boss Rotary Ensemble is here!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Angle Loss, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Angle Loss

Angle Loss Supporting Member

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that the Rotary Ensemble is out now, as alot of us have been waiting a long time. I have already put it on my pedalboard; it is a keeper for the Leslie sound.

The Namm video really doesn't sound that great. I'm a leslie freak (but unfortunetly can't keep one in my apartment :jo I've had both Rotospheres, the Korg G4 (my fav until this one), and have played nearly every simulator out (the RotoSim sounded watered down to me). I have also played guitar through a handful of real leslie cabs (knew some people who had them-there is nothing that can simulate that experience...eyes rolling back now...). I say this, so the other people that really love that sound can go check it out, as I've been filled with much disappointment regarding leslie sims.

I'm playing various guitars through a pedal board and TopHat amps, and finally am happy with a pedal to do that sound now. It doesn't have alot of different sounds; it only does the 122 and an okay sounding Univibe. The controls are well thought out though. I love both fast and slow speeds. On the mode selector, #2 is my fav, a closer miked sound with more amplitude modulation. Second to that is mode #1, which is the same setup but farther miked for a more chorusy-less tremelo sound.

And the display...hypnotizing. I look forward to playing even more. Currently I have only played it in mono, because that is all I use for playing out and at church (I lead worship with electric). I don't post all that often even though I've been around here for a few years, but this was worth posting about. And for those that will ask, I do think it sounds much better than the Rotosphere, RotoSim, Voce Spin II, Korg G4 (this is better than the others though), and everything else save for the maybe the Dynacord, but it's been a long time since I've played through one of those, and considering cost as well, this is alot better.

edit: here is a new link to my original 2006 demo of the pedal:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=471217&content=music

--Angle Loss

2. CBeeper

CBeeper Supporting Member

Your mirroring my findings on the Rotary. I think it's the best Leslie sim thus far. I've had the G-4(still own it and again my favorite up to this point), Rotomachine, Rotosphere and RotoSim. Boss took their time and did a fine job on this one. It doesn't color the original tone as much as other Sims either.

3. Charles#5

Charles#5 Member

I have a Dynacord CLS-222, but have stopped using rack gear. I now use an old Arion SCH-1 for that sound. The trick is to put the slider in stereo mode and connect only the second output. Sounds good enough for playing live, for recording I still go back to the Dynacord.

Cheers,

Johan.

4. gururyan

gururyan Member

You guys gotta give us some clips then!

5. drolling

drolling Member

Yes! Please..

6. TieDyedDevil

TieDyedDevil Member

I'd love to hear a comparison between the Boss and the DLS RotoSIM. Anyone?

7. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

Well,

I guess I need to walk over there and check it out. I just wish it wasn't so far:D

8. Straleno

Straleno Member

I got one the other day as well (and started a thread about it that seems to have escaped most people's notice). I chose it over the Rotomachine. I'd been waiting to try them both before buying one.

I thought it was much warmer and more natural sounding than the Rotomachine, more tweakable than the Roto with respect to balance & mix, and I thought its basic Leslie sound was more convincing (tho' I'll admit I'm no Leslie expert), with significantly less digital hashiness. ('Course, it's a hundred bucks more, too.) It just sounded bigger and warmer, with no volume drop; in fact, in some settings, it got a little louder when engaged. On the Rotomachine, I only thought one model (the middle one, can't remember what it was called) was usable, and I thought the distortion was awful. The RT20's distortion is pretty good and Leslie-like in modes 1 & 2, but pretty corny in modes 3 & 4.

As far as the RT20's Univibe sound is concerned, I think it's pretty poor, as a simulation of a Univibe, but it's not a bad imitation of brown Fender trem, very thick and swampy and wooshy. I was surprised how much I liked it for what it is, as opposed to what Boss says it's supposed to be.

I'm looking forward to spending more time with it.

9. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

The RT-20 sounds cool. How does it compare to the voodoo lab micro vibe? That pedal blew me away (though it does, admittedly, only have one sound. But it does it well)

10. gururyan

gururyan Member

Well, while we wait for member clips...here is the only audio/video of it I could find.

Click me.

11. Marcus Dahl

Marcus Dahl Member

You should give that tiki a cigar, bowl of sweet rice, and a shot of hard liquier. Oh, and don't forget the incense. :angel From what I've read you can treat them similarly to the voodoo spirits. I have enough bad luck as it is so I wont comment any further.

12. paulydangerous

paulydangerous Member

I was surprised to see Rob Marcello..Really nice guy..He used to live here in Columbus..Great player if you ever get to see him live..

13. Phil M

Phil M Member

Hi Straleno,

*Can this be set for presets so that I could toggle from a fast leslie sound to a Fender Brown trem between songs?

*Does the trem have any "chorus-y" artifacts, or does it just sound like normal volume fluctuation tremolo?

*How does the break for slowing down and ramping up the fast leslie sound work?

* How much can one expect to pay for one? They list for $299, and I see them for $225 at most places and $209 at Elderly, though Boss pedals usually have a pretty drastic discount IME.

Thanks,

Phil M.

14. Straleno

Straleno Member

Hey Phil,
    There's no way to preset the Leslie & Uni settings and switch between them, unfortunately. The Uni "trem" sound that I think sounds more like a brown Fender isn't a "normal" volume fluctuation sound like on blackface Fenders, it's more of a rolling, swooshy thing that has a phase-shiftery, Univibey quality (without sounding like an actual Univibe). It's hard to articulate the difference, but if you've ever heard one of the bigger brown Fenders, you'll know what I mean. I haven't gotten to use it in the last couple of days, but I don't remember thinking that it sounded chorusy.

The brake is activated when you step on both pedals at the same time. Whether you're in fast speed or slow speed, the effect gradually ramps down until there's no swirl at all. Then if you step on the right-side pedal, it ramps back up to whatever speed it was on. It's nice, especially if you're a keyboard player, I would think.

I paid $225 + tax at Sam Ash in NY. That seems to be the prevailing price.

I hope that helps.
    J.

15. Angle Loss

Angle Loss Supporting Member

Phil,
    You can't preset anything like a DD-20, you have to bend down and and turn the mode switch. The univibe setting sounds to me like a cross between a bad phaser and a tremelo. I have played brownface trems and they are very cool, but don't expect this to sound just like it--just "ish" at best to me.

The first two Leslie 122 modes is what you would want to buy the pedal for. Between those, if you want a slightly more chorusy sound (distant miked) or a little more throb (closer miked) Leslie, you've got it. It should satisfy most people. The key to getting it at a good price is price matching with other companies.

Unfortunately the Boss video is horrible. Everybody else has complained enough about it. The guy might be a good player (see paulydangerous' post) but he does a poor job of showing what the pedal can do. If you notice during the whole video he has the dry level up. For a proper effect, you need it to be **all the way off**. The effect level carries the proper signal and serves as an overall volume for the pedal (just like the rotospheres output volume knob). Hopefully sometime in the next week one of us could post some clips, but I might need help with that.

Hope this helps,
    Angle Loss

16. Phil M

Phil M Member

Thanks guys. The ramp up/down process as explained seems a little counter-intuitive. What exactly are the two footswitches for?

17. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

The left pedal on all boss twin pedals switch between bypass and on. The right pedal varies, but is generally used to switch between manual/memory or as tap tempo

18. Straleno

Straleno Member

The left pedal turns the whole thing on and off, the right pedal clicks between high speed and low speed.

Also, I agree with all of Angle's observations so far -- I don't want anyone to think the Uni setting is a dead-on brown Fender trem, but it just sounds more like that than it does a Univibe, to my ears. "Brown-ish," at best.

19. Phil M

Phil M Member

That's what I thought, but they said there are no memory banks.

20. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

Well,
    I made the big trek across the sidewalk....;)

I think it sounds great. Not programmable, and not a whole lot of versatility but it really sounds very warm and organic. The ramp up and down and the break sound very realistic. It is very transparent to the tone (not sterile at all and it did not effect the natural guitar tone that I could hear). In stereo it really gives a sense of dimension. I was very impressed.

The best part is that with this and a strobo stomp on your board you'll look like your at the helm of the Enterprise... :dude