The building progress of my custom pedalboard/case

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Objector, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Objector

Objector Member

Hi Gearheads,

I thought it was time to retire my pedaltrain and finally build a hardcase for my pedals. This is something that has been on my wish list for a very long time and there is no turning back now.

The foundation of my pedalboard is a DAP Showmaster 48 flightcase, which is normally used to transport a lighting-console. This case is widely accessibel in Europe and with it's price of around 55€, it was a no-brainer for me.

I would not have been able to build the inside of this case, without the help of a good friend. He is a Luthier, builds guitars and also restores furniture. His craftsmanship goes way passed my technical knowledge and without him, I probably wouldn't have tried to build this. I am very grateful and if you'd also like to support him, check him out on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/stijnkenens.luthier

Now Pictures:

The structural inside of the board:

[​IMG]

My selfmade AB-Switch, to choose between playing wireless and with a cable
    [​IMG]

Power switch, AB-switch and antennas.
    [​IMG]

The case has been built around my DL-4. So this way, the DL-4 is lower, which is far more convienent when using the pedal as a looper.

[​IMG]

The lid with protection and a system to attach my cables for transport.

[​IMG]

The patchbay.

[​IMG]

A compartment to store my wireless transmitter (which I have modded to take other batteries so I can play more than 20 hours with one charge). There is still plenty of space for a Capo, some picks or an E-bow.

[​IMG]

The compartment will get a lid, but I still have to get a joint to attach it.

[​IMG]

Some extra shots:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And since this is The Gear Page: I have something with much more mojo than a Altoids box. My NES peppermint box!

[​IMG]

There are many, many, many pedals on my wish list, so it has been built to be future proof. The case is far from finished, so I'll keep updating this thread.

Hope you like it, of there are any questions, shoot!

2. SteelerFan88

SteelerFan88 Member

Very well done my friend ! I have built a few boards in my day as well. Your plan is coming together nicely !

3. Objector

Objector Member

Thanks for the kind response! So far it has been really fun to build, I hope I have a finished board in a few weeks.

When I have most of the pedals I want, I will probably also provide holes in the board, so you don't see any cables. But I didn't want to start drilling right away, since I don't have all the pedals yet!

4. zul

zul Supporting Member

That pepermint box is gorgeous! Job well done.[​IMG]

5. Objector

Objector Member

Thanks! I came around that peppermint box on a trip to London and I had to buy it, pure nostalgia.

6. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

Now all you need to do is get a guitar, get an amp...and learn to play...

;)
    Sweet build there...I love the homemade pedalboards!!! >:)

7. DanHorse

DanHorse Member

Outstanding! really nicely done and well thought out. So much so I may consider something like that too.

8. Objector

Objector Member

I do have guitars and amps, but since I'm starting a new project that is a totally other genre than my current band, I need to expand. That was also my motivation for building this board, for my new project. And learning to play? As long as my gear is superb, I'll be fine... :rotflmao

Thanks mate! Glad I can "inspire" you. If you need more information, feel free to ask. I hope that the board will work as good as it looks. I still need to buy powersupply and since the power (220v) and signal-cables will be close together, I hope I don't get any interference.

9. ccouch7

ccouch7 Member

Man that's nice! I just ordered two smaller versions of those DAP Audio cases (showmaster 24 case) after seeing someone
    post one in the PYPB thread, which was nice also. So it's cool seeing how somebody else is modifying/setting them up.

Can't wait to see more progress pics and finished pics of your board!

10. Objector

Objector Member

Cool! That friend with whom I build this board, also has a Showmaster 24. But he hasn't start building yet.

The cases are really good value for their money, but you have to make sure you strengthen the bottom, since it isn't that sturdy and you will be standing on it...

Also, do not forget that if you use multiplex (as I did), you'll end up with a very heavy case. I don't know how the handle will stand this weight throughout the time, but I have bought myself a foldable trolly to be sure.

[​IMG]

Do not start building right away, but try to plan everything out first, because you will be looking over many things you should've thought of... At first my plan was far more complicated than what you can see on the pictures. I wanted to have a special space for my wireless and tuner, which would of cost a lot off effort and to be fair, wouldn't off looked as nice. I even have more pedalspace now, since my wireless is under my board. But also keep the height in mind. The back row (in black) is just low enough to support another pedal and be able to close the lid. That's why I installed the patchbay sideways, to make sure I can even put some pedals on the back row, if I run out of space.

If you have questions, you may always contact me!

11. dealmaker

dealmaker Member

Great thread - thanks!

Can you talk me though your patch cable connections and your wiring of these? I assume they are Neutrik TRS - will you wire them up as 2 pole and heat shrink sleeve the wires etc?

also please tell me about your power connector - seems different to the IEC connector I was considering?

12. Objector

Objector Member

Those are indeed the Neutrik Locking Jacks, I could've bought cheap ripp-offs, but I wanted to make sure this was built to last.

At the moment they aren't wired up yet, but I connect Lava Cable directly to it. When I start soldering, I will keep in mind to take some pictures. I always try to shrink sleeve my soldering joints!

The power connector is a Neutrik Power Con. This is also a locking type connector, which in my opinion, is a much safer choice for live usage. This will be connected to the green power switch, which will be connected to a IEC cable which will be used to power a Cioks DC10 (still need to save up for this).

The power will unfortunately cross my homemade AB-switch, so I hope it won't cause any unwanted noise... So fingers crossed. If I wrap the cables of the AB-switch in aluminum foil will that isolate it enough?