the bypass discussion, other than the typical true-bypass war

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by stairs, Mar 9, 2008.

1. stairs

stairs Member

i am trying to find as much information as i can on the bypass thing on pedals and MFX, but still cant make up my mind.

while pedals are ok, even the non true-bypass ones, can make a decent work, i had a hard time finding a processor that doesnt suck tone obviously. this is where i started to look for answers on which whould be the point: the processors or multi fxs have, most of them, that A/D convertions the 24 bit.....but cant really figure it out: if a unit has this kind of "convertion" that stil translats in real world as "tone-suck"???

those who tried multi fxs in amps loops, can give a opinion on how bad they change the tone?

thanks

2. stairs

stairs Member

3. stairs

stairs Member

maybe there is someone who can give a thought on this

4. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

too general of a question, i think. the better the device in question, i would expect the less tone change ("loss" might be subjective) it would have.

5. soulsonic

soulsonic Member

I think that generally a multieffect unit in an amp's effects loop would probably sound it's best; most serious ones are designed to be run that way.

Most of the time, a multieffect doesn't really bypass, so much as it just sort of turns the effects off. I don't think most of them are really designed to bypass anyway; if you want a straight clean sound, you just program in a patch that is set up for a nice clean tone. I always treated those sort of floor multieffects like a preamp where all the tone-shaping happens, and then the amp is just sort of there to amplify and be a neutral part of the chain.

I draw a distinction between rackmount multieffects and floor-mount ones. The floor ones seem to usually be the all-in-one preamp/effect thing I described above, but the rackmount ones - unless it's specifically intended as a preamp/multieffect, like the Rocktron Chameleon - are usually made specifically for line level inputs from either amp effect loops or the aux loops in mixing consoles. If you plug a guitar straight into one of those kind of units, you will definitely lose sound because they are not intended to have a guitar plugged straight into them at all; the impedance and levels will likely be wrong for a guitar.

So, it comes down to finding the right tool for the job. If you want to have the bulk of your sound come from your amp, I would recommend a rackmount multieffect that's designed to be used with line level signals like effects loops. If you want the multieffect to be your main tone tool, I would recommend either a floor-mount or rackmount, preamp/multieffect with simple neutral amp tone.