The CD Collection

portobear

I've just recently dug my CD collection out of storage & they're now in my new man cave/music room/home office.

Treated myself to a new Denon CD player after many years of not having anything to play them on and now I've started buying CDs again to plug some gaps in my collection.

Having a great time rediscovering all my old favourites, not sure if it's just nostalgia but it seems so much more satisfying than streaming.

ZeyerGTR

I have about 500, maybe less. I love it. I still buy tons of CDs, although mostly used at flea markets, garage sales or used record shops.

jujube

Remember the CD collection? There was something special about it, to have your CDs in a case or a shelf on the wall for viewing. Friends would come over, girlfriends or boyfriends would come over, and everyone would check out the CD collection and start a conversation about music. Seems we’ve lost that gem with the electronic age. Cheers to CDs!
Not really. I bought a new high end CEC CD transport this year and am rediscovering my CD collection. Just starting out in LPs too and bought a new Technics turntable. I also stream Tidal.

Nevets

was it an external hard drive? i would not expect those to crash, at least i only use mine a couple times a year to transfer some new music to and then it goes back in it's case.
No, it was an internal that I put into a case to make it external. Eventually it just stopped being able to read files, I can se the directories, but then it just stalls and won't access data. Kind of a bummer since a lot of my own tunes were on there too. Lesson learned! Next time I'm using a combination of cloud and SSD.

59 Restorer

I still buy an occasional CD. My wife still likes them quite a bit too. I am almost always peek at used stacks at sales, fleamarkets, pawnshops etc. Have well north of 1500 titles.
But when I get one it gets ripped to iTunes right away.
Then ends up on my phone. I still seem to need some physical ownership because I won't expand any of my cloud based services to hold lots of gigs of music.

G34RSLU7

No, it was an internal that I put into a case to make it external. Eventually it just stopped being able to read files, I can se the directories, but then it just stalls and won't access data. Kind of a bummer since a lot of my own tunes were on there too. Lesson learned! Next time I'm using a combination of cloud and SSD.
it might not be lost, i had this problem with one of my hard drives as well, it was because it was set to read only i think, can't remember exactly what it was but i managed to fix it

s2y

I just moved and downsized. I got rid of about 1/2 my CDs and will likely get rid of the 2nd half soon.

I stream and if I like something that much, I'll buy from iTunes.

Thinking about getting rid of most of my DVDs soon, too.

OnkelC

This is a golden age for catalog titles on CD, most are cheaper to purchase than the digital download counterpart at the moment. My usual procedure is buying physical, then ripping it losless and listen to it via a DAP/DAC/Headphone Amp, stack, though.
Around 800 CDs, 1,200 DVDs, 1,300 Blu Rays and 250 UHDs in this here household, compared to maybe 100 digital album/movie/TV series purchases in total.

Big'Uns

I've finally given up buying physical media. When I moved across country with my family a year and a half ago I came to grips with the reality of having tons of dvd's and CD's. All the dvd and CD cases went in the recycle bin. Some of the discs went with them. I've got everything down to 3 large travel cases. Haven't bought a dvd or cd since and probably never will again. Same story with all my books. Boxes and boxes were either donated or recycled. It's mostly all kindle now unless there's a book with color photos I want or already have.

Bigsby

I finally plugged my 200 disc changer back in after a number of years, and all of my carefully programmed artist and titles had gone away without power. Luckily, I found a (free) command line utility called cdrdao that allows me to copy each of my CDs, add CD-TEXT to the table of contents file from a free access lookup server, then burn a copy that will display artist, title and track name perfectly in my changer. Back in action!

I have a JVC player and amp from 1999 that sound great together. Maybe it's just me living in the past, but my records and CDs sound rich and detailed when I cue something up, sit down, and actively listen.

vernplum

Gold Supporting Member
Here's my CD-collection under my guitar displays - half the cabinets below are also full of them (the other half contain my wife's shoes! :) ). Been collecting since the early 90s. Can't say I've bought many new ones in last couple of years, and time will be coming soon when there won't be any further growth probably...

Edit - close-up:

..and sometimes I rotate them round and display the covers :)

Last edited:

Trending Topics