• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

The CD Collection

Byknfool

Silver Supporting Member
have a few cds left but most are gone. Streaming is just so convenient. I’m not an audiofile so sound quality is fine fore me most of the time. my car is the only place there is a cd player anymore.

what I honestly miss is shopping for cds. We would load up the car and drive to vinyl solution every other week or so and just rifle through the used cds. it was a great bonding experience with friends.

JCW308

Silver Supporting Member
All my music is on my HD...about 375 GB of 320 mp3's. I cherished my vinyl collection before I sold it...cd's had no emotional tie for me and I gave them away (over 300) to one of my best friend's who still does cd'd.
'''''''''

Dasherf7

Remember the CD collection? There was something special about it, to have your CDs in a case or a shelf on the wall for viewing. Friends would come over, girlfriends or boyfriends would come over, and everyone would check out the CD collection and start a conversation about music. Seems we’ve lost that gem with the electronic age. Cheers to CDs!
(...did that with records, too...also cheers!)
Great topic!
In my humble imagination, if you still own one (I own both) there's plenty to look at...

Maguchi

i liked having a record collection better (before the hipster resurgence of records that is)
Yeah the large format of the records makes the images and text more appealing. And the sound of vinyl is great. The hipster doofi (plural of doofus) don't really appreciate the advantages of LPs and vinyl records, they just collect them to be hip.

jenningsmusic

I loaded my entire collection of CDs onto a Brennan B2 to save space but after I did that, I still couldn't give up the CDs. At least the music is more easily accessed now.

rwwear

I have ~2,000 CDs, maybe closer to 2,500 and roughly 1,500 albums. Here's all the CDs and part of the records. I need an updated picture, but you get the idea.

Been collecting a long time and have most of what I originally owned. A few got sold or traded but it's mostly intact. View attachment 290745
Great installation. Who did it?

bigtone23

I used to have my 800-ish CDs in racks in my music room. The wife got tired of looking at them (blasphemy!), so I ripped them all to the hard drive and put them in storage. I can't get rid of them just yet.

Jerrod

Gold Supporting Member
I had all of my cd collection in iTunes and something happened and I started having issues a while back. I started using Media Monkey. I hate to say it but I liked the way iTunes worked better. Are you still able to rip cds and put them on your ipod? My work car does not have any streaming options so I use my ipod to listen to my music.
iTunes still sucks massively. I moved from Media Monkey to J River Media Center years ago. J River syncs iPods just fine. That's what I use in our cars... iPods that are synced periodically.

twoheadedboy

I still have mine. I've ripped the important and rare ones, but I like having physical media for things that are really important to me, because it means permanent access to them at no additional cost.

micycle

I remember mine well and don't miss it at all! I sold the bulk of my collection (700 or so) before moving to NYC 10 years ago and haven't missed them a bit. I was a very lazy CD owner and would leave discs out and stacked up... Sometimes I would double stack a couple in a jewel case if I was on the go and forget about it, and then weeks later be looking for a missing CD. Ugh. And then there was cracked jewel cases or broken hinge tabs to always deal with.

I fully embrace the convenience of the streaming world and know the artists see little if any of that money, so when I find something I like that I haven't already paid for in another format, I make sure to buy it. I grew up on vinyl and I do miss the tactile part of it all and the liner notes and artwork, but thankfully still have my record collection and still buy new (and old) vinyl whenever possible.

TelePlayr

I got rid of my vinyl and cassettes, but still have all the CD's. Most of the older ones are in those big "wallet" things, sans jewel cases but with covers and liner notes. I find it hard to browse on the streaming services, so I mostly don't use those unless I'm looking for a particular tune. I usually rip the CD's I'm currently loving into iTunes and from there onto my iPod. Sometimes I'll make playlists and burn them onto a disc for use in the car. I'm totally paranoid about a sun spot or some sh*t burning out my computer and losing all my music!

Rio

Platinum Supporting Member
I have a Sony 400 disc cd changer 3/4 full of my faves from several genres. The rest take up wall space in the music room.

If I want something "different", I create a 6 hr super long play minidisc of what I want and plug it in, sit back, and enjoy.

I also do streaming from the Ancient FM internet station because it presents such a wide selection of pre-common-practice-period music.

Rio

Not completely up to date and not complete in terms of all the discs - this is the basement storage facility for some of them: there's a bunch more upstairs and still more in the car.

Last edited:

MIke MM

What do you mean "remember"?

I've still got 1200 on the wall in my music room.

No friends coming over, though. :(
I even liked it better when it was called "record collection". At least with that, you got art (12 by 12 inches) big enough to make your room look like a museum when you propped them up against your bed or hung them on your wall.

Could stare at Sgt Peppers for hours that way, on the cover of a CD? Nah

Trending Topics