'The' Celestion 12-65 Thread- Old and New

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Frankenstrat2, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Frankenstrat2

Frankenstrat2 Member

Moving this discussion over to its own space.
    In the past year I've purchased two 'vintage' Celestion 12-65s, and then a pair of brand new Celestion Heritage 12-65s. The old ones in 15 ohms, the new ones 16ohms.
    There have been discussions of the older models having a variety of cones and lables, while the new ones are now being discussed as sounding 'harsh', fizzy' and having cone-cry.
    Laer, I'm going to post some pictures of my older examples to show the differences in the labels and size of the voice coils. They are remarkably different.
    For the record, at least in my case, none had cone cry. The older ones are too loose on the low end for my taste. The Heritage ones I acquired needed about 100 hours to break in. No cone cry, no fizz, not harsh. I really like them in the 2x12 semi-open backed Glaswerks cab. A very good pair of speakers for my needs.
    How about the rest of you?

2. BudLite

BudLite Supporting Member

I had the same GL cab w/ the 12-65's and it sounded nice. I also had the GL XL 1x12 cab w/ a ev12L....That sounded nice too. For the clean channel the EV sounds better and sustains more. I have had no luck w/ a Cele. G12-65 in a 1x12 cab so far.

3. rastaman

rastaman Member

I bought 2 originals and took the stock V30s out of a Bogner OS 2x12 and put the 65s in. I've never looked back. FWIW, I use Marshalls and Boogies.

4. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Well the Heritage models I bought about a year ago are faithfully 15 ohms not 16. Are you sure yours are 16? Really just a point of curiousity.

Ive not found them to be fizzy or harsh or have cone cry. Yes they sounded a bit stiff new but after a few hours they softened up nicely. I find them great with bright amps and a bit too dark with others.
    One of my favorite speaker combinations Ive found is the G12-65 and a (well broken in) G12H-30 Anni. The 30 adds just enough highs to the mix. Bob

5. Mark Kane

Mark Kane Silver Supporting Member

All the old ones I've had that have the little round screen in the middle of the magnet have sounded and performed the same.

6. Frankenstrat2

Frankenstrat2 Member

I have to go look at the labels.

7. NFB

NFB Senior Member

No luck yet w/ my g12/65 ... but going to allow for more break in time.

Brought out my old Altec 417 last night ...............oh boy

What a match with the Ceriatone and E-PRO!

Note: So far nothing has even come close to the
    BIG IRON, well Aluminum (Thats the speaker frame I am talking about, so don't get confused) - 100+ Watter BIG DOG EVM -12L

I picked brown to match the speakers smoothness...if there is such a word.

VERY GOOD:dude

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  8. Gary Brennan

Gary Brennan Old cavorting member Gold Supporting Member

Bud, did you have the GL XL 1x12 cab w/ the Cele. G12-65? What are you hearing/feeling that doesn't work for you?

GB

9. Frankenstrat2

Frankenstrat2 Member

Personally, in a 1-12 cab I prefer the EVL or Scholz to the G12-65. They both have a bigger presence, and the lows hold together better. Not surprising considering the power ratings and magnet sizes. But in the GW 2x12 the 12-65s seem to have the perfect balance.

10. Gary Brennan

Does the G12-65 RI work well in any 1x12 oval back?

gb

11. BudLite

BudLite Supporting Member

Hi Gary, I found the Cele. 12-65 to be a good speaker, but when comparing to the EV12L and the TR12-65 I found it a bit grindy in the upper mids. In the clean ch. the EV sounds sweet, the high end sounds smooth w/ chime to it. The single notes seemed to hold on longer and sustain more. In a 1x12, I thought the TR 1265 was better sounding than the G12-65. The TR was less raspy and just sounded smoother sweeter to me. I didn't take long for me to decide either, although whether any of my G12-65's were broken in enough. I never tried an original. Also in a Fuchs ODS 1x12 combo the EV12L clearly sounded better than the Cele. G12-65 that I tried in there. 2 different animals really.

12. Gary Brennan

Interesting, so maybe my unused RWB (a TR1265?) would top the heritage 65 in a 1x12? I'll have to try this. I also have a Gt Classic Clone which could be a possibility. You're talkin the oversize GW 1x12, right?

gb

13. Mike

Mike Member

Exactly my findings. I run a TR Type 2 into a Glaswerks big 1x12 and the TR1265 is the one that works. Plus it's 100 watts, as is my amp.

With the darker 50 watt Two-Rocks like the CR sig. V1, I liked the Heritage 1265 better. A little livelier on top with some nice texture. But the later Two-Rocks overrun that speaker in the high end.

I've liked the EV OK, but I haven't liked the way it records.

Mike

14. jspax7

jspax7 Member

I own 2 older 12-65's, that were 15 ohm, but are now 8 ohm. I have one in a D'Lite, and have compared it with a new heritage 12-65 (in an open back combo) with my amp, and other D'lite's. They have the same voice to my ears as my old pair.

In a ported 1x12 (Hermida style) they are a perfect compliment to my compact 1x12 combo. The bass is tighter, and the projection is more forward, but the tonality is consistent with my speakers.

I do not own a Heritage, but based on comparison, I would not hesitate to buy one.

15. jspax7

jspax7 Member

I agree with this. It depends on the amp.

I preferred the 12-65 with my E.Pro, and D'Lite, but the RWB, and TR12-65 (not 12-65R) are a better match for my Fuchs.

16. Frankenstrat2

Frankenstrat2 Member

Here are the pix of the various 12-65s
    1. label of upper vintage speaker
    2. label of lower vintaqge speaker
    3. label of Heritage Reissue
    4. 2x12 cab with front of upper speaker and lower speaker
    Note different cone sizes, border size, cork vs paper rims etc.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Frakenstrat,

Alot has been written about the Heritage G12-65's, but in everything I've read I don't recall much being mentioned about them being fizzy, harsh or having cone cry. I also did not hear them that way at all. The Heritage series is also 8ohm or 15ohm, not 16 exactly. Great speakers, but I sold mine in favor of the Scumback M75-HP's.

18. scottl

scottl Member

Both of those speakers in the Acoustic cab look suspect. The dustcap is too large on the upper and the surround on the lower looks like a Weber.....

19. Frankenstrat2

Frankenstrat2 Member

Personally, I dont consider them harsh, fizzy or having cone cry. I did make the point that older ones seem looser on the low end, perhaps from age and abuse.
    I like my new Heritage a lot in a 2x12.
    For the record, yes, 15 ohms, not 16

Scott- I don't know if they are 'fakes' or just variations of different incarnations of the 12-65.

20. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Scott is right on, I didn't even notice. That is one huge dust cap, I've never seen a speaker with a center cap that big. And the bottom with the cork surround? Both Heritage G12-65's I had and everyone I've seen had the foam surround. Unless someone put the cork on as a replacement.