The Celestion G12-35XC is a great speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by RussB, Mar 15, 2018.

1. bradtfw

bradtfw Member

Right on. I have a Bad Cat 2x12 with the new Bad Cat speakers. They are a bit bright for my tastes with my Black Cat 30. I'm looking for some replacement options now.

2. zwiefldraader

zwiefldraader Member

I am wondering if the cones are standard in the 12-35xc or maybe leftovers from the heritage testing. I could think of these cones as ones that delivered some of the expected goods, but fell short for the heritage line. Anybody here to bring some light, if these cones are anything special/customised, leftovers or simply standard celestion 444?
    Maybe @Scumback Speakers ?

3. MIM#1

MIM#1 Member

So, un-doped is like the over used 'taking a blanket of the amp' analogy? I love Jona's videos!

4. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Supporting Member

I recall that they were developed for a limited run Anniversary amp.
    Al

5. zwiefldraader

zwiefldraader Member

Hi Al,
    you really mean AMP?
    I read (and it is clearly advertised that way), these speakers had been issued to celebrate Celestions own 90th birthday. Never heard about an Anniversary Amp(lifier?).
    Would be interested in further informations about, if you have access (memory) to it. At least it made sense to me.
    Maybe just a different label for some manufacturers special run.
    thanks for chiming in.
    s´Zwieberl

6. zombiwoof

Some time ago I saw a Marshall amp on their webpage that I didn't know about, and it said it had these speakers, specially made for that amp. It was a long time ago and I don't recall the amp, but it was some kind of Anniversary combo of some sort. That's where I first saw those speakers mentioned.
    Al

7. zwiefldraader

zwiefldraader Member

@zombiwoof
    Ah, OK.
    It MIGHT have been the Bluesbreaker HANDWIRED, which COULD the amp.
    That´s why I am thinking that could be:
    Marshall Site says, the 1962 HW model comes with Celestion G12C drivers. Seems a bit odd in the first place, because they used to use the Heritage Celestions for their HW amps. The Cone numbers are not the same, but... seem to be the 55Hz Version of the G12C.
    Marshall names their HW amps usually X vs without that letter for PCB.
    And the G12-35 is named, yes... Xc.
    That COULD be a sensitive explanation. But that means nothing...

Then the G12-35XC would be the 55Hz version of the G12C - BUT I don´t know, if the G12C has the typical M-sized magnet or the atypical G12XC "in-between" weigh.
    But here is something revealing about that issue
    https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...-replacement-for-a-celestion-g12c-30.1146562/

8. zombiwoof

The G12-C was the GB that was designed first for the Hendrix HW cabs that had the tall bottom cab. Has a different cone or something then the regular greenback version.
    Al

9. hacinador

hacinador Member

The G12-35XC has nothing in common with a Greenback and I has never been used in any Marshall amp...

10. Buck Woodson

Buck Woodson Supporting Member

I think the G35-XC is a more high mid focused than V30 or greenback. Perhaps it should be paired with a more low focused speaker like the G12T-75 though not all amps like that speaker.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
  11. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I had an extra G35-XC lying around and I put it in a Valvetrain Tallboy that had a Eminence Red Coat Stonehenge in it. I didn't love that speaker and the Celestion just sounds so much better. Smoother in all frequencies, brighter (which the amps needed). A lot more musical to my ears.

12. zwiefldraader

zwiefldraader Member

OK - asked Dr Decibel to get further information. Unfortunately there is not too much he could tell about the cones.
    This was my email:
    "Dear honorable Dr. Decibel,

I am a true fan of vintage Celestion speakers and think you did a very good job with your heritage line.
    Not so long ago I stumbled into one of your Anniversary G12-35xc speakers, which is advertised having the old pulsonic charme.
    I truely like this one, great job - though I don´t hear too much pulsonic characteristic in it. Nevertheless it has some kind of openness I do highly regard and which I prefer over the newer G12M25 RI (not Heritage) speakers.

Looking at the cone I found some kind of 444 cone, which leads me to the idea, it´s being a 55Hz cone (saw it advertised as 75Hz somewhere - but don´t know if this mistake was made by Celestion or the retailer).
    Soundwise it comes closer to my 55hz speakers as well. And I do prefer 55Hz speakers by quite a margin.
    Maybe because I use them for clean or slight crunch in more american sounding amplifiers.

Looking closer I had the impression, the G12-35xc might be "just" a G12C (those which came with the Jimi Hendrix Marshall Cabs), but with a 55Hz cone instead of the 75Hz of the G12C - and probably a different voice coil to beef up the wattage.

Could and would you please shed some light on this case, please.
    I´d love to know, if I am right with my assumption.

best regards from germany"

The answere - in short - was, that the xc had a 42oz magnet, while the G12C seems to have a more common weigh (probably M-style).
    No further information about the used cones to be had.

Just to keep anybody informed.

13. Tommy_G

Tommy_G Member

Dr D gave me nuttin.

14. Teh RedWizard

Teh RedWizard Supporting Member

OK......I'm looking to replace the 'weak' 96 db Greenbacks in a Marshall 1973x combo I recently bought. So I bought one of these, and I'm looking for something to pair it with. On my short list is 1) Another one of these, 2) A 30W Weber Silver Bell ceramic, and 3) A Warehouse Green Beret. Can someone assist me with this...thanks!:huh:boxer

15. zwiefldraader

zwiefldraader Member

Hi @Teh RedWizard

if you mean by weak, 96db not delivering enough volume, the XC is not the best to start with in the first place. I know it´s being louder on the chart/SPL rating. But this probably has to do more with the certain frequency where it is measured.
    It might be a step up from your Greenback RI, but certainly not by much - less so than with a REAL H Magnet speaker.
    Probably none of the speakers on your list will deliver, because the WGS Green Beret being much of a Greenback clone and should be within the same range.
    I have no Webers myself, but read these being percievable less efficient compared to Celestions. To me this is no disadvantage, because I prefer running my amp a tiny little bit hotter at the same volume/db.

If you are after a more vintagey sound, probably all of your contenders might be spot on, as would be the WGS Invader, Celestion Heritages, Scumbacks be as well or even more so. If I´d go the Blue/Silver route, I´d probably vote for AlNiCo. These should also blend nicely with your XC. If you´re after a step up volume-wise, I´d go the Celestion Blue or WGS Black´n´Blue route. These sound fabolous in these 18w circuits - more so combined with 55Hz speakers, like the XC is.

I really like my XC in my 18w TMB, which is closest to your 1973x I can get. Nevertheless I had the experience that it didn´t cut on stage quite the way I expected from the percieved frequency range. But it sounds fabolous, especially when getting some break-in time.
    I guess XC/XC might be very well sounding.
    My all time favorite speaker is the Pulsonic/Celestion G12H30 55Hz from late 60s/early 70s. The Celestion Heritage aren´t the worst bet for these and they go considerably cheaper than the 75Hz Heritages. I prefer 55Hz over 75Hz and tried to blend these with my XC and it worked out very fine, as I stated above.

And here is the perfect clip, to get the impression. XC vs 55Hz Heritage and maybe also combined in a 212, not sure about that

Hope that helps

best regards
    s´Zwieberl

16. Buckeyedog

Buckeyedog Member

G12-H30. Great mix!!

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...magical-its-worthy-of-its-own-thread.1944376/

zwiefldraader likes this.
  17. GAT

I’ve use the XC with a Cream Alnico which was great. Two XCs sound great. Or you could try the new Ruby. FYI, I have. 16 ohm XC I have extra if you need one.

The XC is definitely more robust than the Greenback.

18. Tommy_G

Tommy_G Member

I saq a thread pass through that boldly claims the G12 Anni to be the best mix mate with the XC.

I really like my XC. Bought two more.. never did that before.. usually I try to find storage space for Celes... :)

19. jlectka

jlectka Supporting Member

I dropped the XC in a 17 watt HiTone combo and it’s a great speaker for that. I have a Ruby and really think that it would pair great with the XC. Those two might make a great 212 cab . Have you tried that?

20. GAT

No, I haven't tried a Ruby. I'm pretty set on my cabs/speakers right now. All Celestion speakers too.