1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Clark Gainster

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Wooley, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Wooley

Wooley Member

Got the Clark Gainster today...
    WOW!
    Let the Honeymoon begin.
    More to come...:AOK

2. jrigg

jrigg Gold Supporting Member

Barber or original? I have a Barber and love it but have thought a lot about getting the big box original just for fun. My favorite overdrive.

3. Wooley

Wooley Member

Not sure, it is signed by both Michael Clark and Dave Barber on the inside, #9 from May of 2005. White box, says "Gainster" above the switch and "Clark" below it.
    And it sounds incredible.

4. Wooley

Wooley Member

So after 2 days of playing with this thing with Strat and SG, and having another guitarist come over and test it out, I gotta say I have rarely been so impressed with a pedal. The other guitarist concurred, and said for $139.00 he would replace any OD he has with the Gainster. I had recently started a thread naming about a dozen or so ODs I was trying to choose between to get a low gain bark and growl, and asking people's advice. I think we could delete that thread at this point. It's only been 2 days, but I think anything else would be redundant. This is the sound I've been looking for for years. Let me share with you what the other guitarist said about it: "It feels like this pedal is reading my mind. When I want it to sound clean it sounds clean, when I want it to fire up for a quick fill, it's right there adding that fire, and then drops out again just when I want it to." I said, "Yeah it responds incredibly well to your picking dynamics." To which he replied, "You're not kidding, this thing is amazing. All it really does is add BALLS when I want BALLS, and make the sound a little bigger the rest of the time."
    So if anybody else out there was looking for something to "add BALLS" to your sound, I think this has gotta be it.

5. The Gainster

The Gainster Member

6. blueprint

blueprint Member

With which ODs did you compared this one with?

7. joek86

joek86 Supporting Member

I'll jump in here if you don't mind, I had one for about 6 months or so. Being the gear slut that I am, I eventually sold it for something else .

It's hard to compare this pedal to any other, for me at least. The only sound that I can liken it to is that of a tweed.

Joe

8. Wooley

Wooley Member

Fulltone OCD, Shannon Distortion, 2 differently modded AM Tubescreamers, Vintage EH LPB-2, Beano Boost, Sun Face, Fulltone 69, Keeley FuzzHead so far. Gonna get in the closet and pull out some of the others.
    Gainster sounds great after my modulation pedals too, I ran it Magicboy>Shannon Phaser>Gainster>AM DD3 and it was just beautiful. Did not really distort the modulation at all, just boosted and darkened it. I'm really impressed.

9. DaSkip

DaSkip Member

I love my Clark/Barber Gainster as well. I have tried the full sized Clark model as well. If your amp is up and cooking these babies are just the ticket. It is a keeper for sure. :^)

10. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I'm another satisfied Gainster owner. With a very clean amp it provides some very natural overdrive. Very smooth, but not TS type smooth, tube od smooth. In front of an amp already being pushed, it is excellent. I have run it in front of my Clark Beaufort and it just fills out the tone and fattens things up providing some very nice, additional gain. In front of my Super Reverb and Twin w/JBLs, it gives a very convincing tube od sound. I have really liked my Keeley BD-2, OCD and others, but the grainy character of those pedals is not really as natural as the Gainster. My SR does not really sound like those other OD pedals when it is cranked and breaking up. The Gainster is much closer to the little bit of hair on the end of notes you get when real power tubes are being overdriven. With a tweed amp, it is just unreal.

11. cheesey

cheesey Member

12. cheesey

cheesey Member

i expected my gainster to be a gold finish like the gainsters 2 gainsters , mine is a blueish silver hammerite also has MC on the front will have to check the # inside .

13. BFC

BFC Supporting Member

Wow! That looks like one from the original batch about a year before he went with the gold finish like the two pictured above. I had one just like that.

14. cheesey

cheesey Member

cool brian , i was wondering why it wasnt gold :)
    all i know is my tweed amp is very touchy with gain pedals , ts types sound like crap, sold my mjm bd and recently tried a new direct drive and it was the same. i went deep on the big gainster since mike matches them to work well with tweeds and it smokes !!
    the tim is also nice and pumps up the jam .. you can see how slight i have the gain set on the tim.

gainster with tweed rocks :dude

15. cheesey

cheesey Member

[​IMG]

heres my original pedal board....this forum has made me loonie!

16. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

The Gainster is a keeper. I'm always going back and forth with this one and the Klon. Klon is unbeatable for clean boost, not so with gainier settings. The Gainster works well as a clean boost, but really comes alive when you add some gain. It's a subtle, useful bit of grit, musical and not artificial sounding at all. Oddly enough, the Gainster is most effective with my BFDR. What a great combo. The Gainster pushes that cool 6v6 OD a little further. You get this textured sound, and can feel the air thicken up and move as the volume comes up. Cool pedal.

17. kfkm

kfkm Member

I also own an original gainster from Mike Clark. I called him directly a few years ago after he stopped making them and he still made me one of the big boxes. Really nice guy and what a great product. Mine is black with white paint for the design. I also owned one of the Barber ones but didn't care for it as much. I quickly sold that one. If you can get your hands on one of the original bigger boxes then do so. They are much more expensive than the newer cheaper version but the sound is well worth it and the hand painted box really gives it a great vibe.

:JAM

18. BFC

BFC Supporting Member

Mike still builds the big box version on a limited basis, $289.00.