the closer the better to my amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by neastguy, Sep 29, 2005.

1. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

why is it that it sounds best when I'm standing 1 to 2 feet away, but as I walk farther 10-15 feet, I lose some low end and it just doesnt sound as nice to my ears, it happens with both amps I use...its still sounds good, but I want the sound when Im standing right by it to be heard from people in the audience....any tricks?

2. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

More mids. As you move away, the highs will not travel as far. I don't really see how 15 feet will make much of a difference, but 100 to 200 feet it should be noticable. Play outside, and the only thing you'll hear from a quarter mile will be the bass.

3. spikeRI

spikeRI Supporting Member

sorry for the hijack.....

Hey RG, how did lafayette do during Rita? My mom has a old friend living there....

4. dave s

dave s Member

You may be experiencing something similar to what I heard coming off stage. The sound about 30' in front of my Bogner Shiva EL34 driving a Bogner 410 open back cab was pure trash.

I was ashamed.

Went back up to my usual 'slightly off axis' to the cab position and the amp sounded fantastic. Just what I wanted to hear.

However, what we hear in that cramped little on-stage world we perform in doesn't translate out front of the stage.

My off-stage tone was just brittle and high-endy without any meat in the lower-midrange frequencies so it didn't cut through or hold itself up to the rest of the band either.

I did some serious on-the-fly tweaking until the guitar 'sounded like a guitar' from 30 ft. I did this without listening to what was happening on stage either--just out front. Also, the amp was unmic'd during tweaking.

Finally when I was done, the tone section had almost no presence (brillance knob on a Shiva head) about '2' on the treble knob and bass was around 6. It sounded very thick and authoritative no matter what angle I listened from out front.

Went back to my usual 2 square inches of real estate on stage and I swore someone had put a blanket over the speaker cab. It was so dark and lifeless on stage that I figured things couldn't be good.

Just then, I remembered that my amp wasn't mic'd up yet. Stuck a 57 in front of one of the 10" speaks, lit up the mains and literally marvelled at the tone coming through the PA.

HUGE lesson learned. And it took about 3 months to get used to the difference in tone with regard to what I *like* to hear and what I now know sounds good, right accurate.

Get out there and give those amps a serious listen!

dave

5. Robboman

Robboman Member

The 'feedback' proximity factor also comes into play here, especially if you play loud with high gain.

Here's my theory, which I humbly submit to you guys to either support, refute or just laugh; I think being closer to the speakers enhances the harmonics in your tone, even when it's subtle and not so obviously apparent (as in massive screaming feedback).

Think about the controlled-feedback technique (Hendrix), where you literally 'play the feedback' by carefully manipulating distance and angle from the speaker cab while playing. If you've done this, (or seen Hendrix or others) you know there's a special relationship going on between the pickup and the speaker in the open air. Even if you're below the verge of audible feedback, the same relationship is having a positive impact on your tone. This impact goes away when you walk TOO far away from your amp. Alternately, if you shove your guitar right up to the speaker, it will go over the top into full feedback.

6. markp

markp Member

I am just starting to get out of the basement and am practicing with a band (so I am no expert)
    For about 15 yrs I have been sitting in front of studio monitors with the amp miced up in a differant room and after some experimenting with listening to a cab in the same room alternating with working on mic placement in other room.I am finding that I am using the same amp settings in studio and at band practice and I know where I will put the mic.
    And even though I have little experience playing alot of rooms that sound differant,I find that a little tweek to the high end may be all that is needed most rooms,but at the same time I am trying to prepare myself for the horrid room gigs.
    My goal is to have a good mix for everyone on stage and just try hard to get it out front.I have talked to to many players that talk about gigs where no one can hear each other or all they hear is white noise or mud ( this is not exceptable to me)
    Maybe some pros will chime i and give us some tips.

7. neastguy

we dont mic our guitars or bass, I'm thinking I might mic up our guitars just a tad to be in the mix and see what happens...

8. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

Lafayette did better than Lake Charles. . .of course, we were about 65 miles further east from the hurricane than Lake Charles. Anyway, she probably did O.K. If you would like to, you could call her, as I'm pretty sure that just about everyone in the city has their telephone service working.

9. Roe

Roe Member

are you using a open cab?
    Closed cabs tend to sound best at least 3 meters away. IMHO

10. neastguy

i tried it with both, I agree the closed back is a bit beefier..but still it gets midsier the farther I walk away..

11. neastguy

Dave, does your band have a website yet?

12. dave s

dave s Member

Nah, no website yet. 3rd weekend of Oct down in the Meriman Valley of way north Akron. Oct 21 and 22 I think.

Let me know if you want to come down and I'll give you directions.

dave

13. neastguy

let me know when you do something more west, like royalton parma berea brookpark.... Im a lazy mofo.....what guitar do you gig with ? I saw the melancon go by by..