The Coolest Rockstar I've Ever Met

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Bankston, Apr 12, 2015.

1. speedemon

speedemon Member

Most of the non-singers are really kind in person; Paul Gilbert, Jeff Loomis, Bruce Boulliet, Eddie Van Halen, even George Lynch, Steve Vai, tho it seems difficult for him.

The coolest rock star I ever met WAS a singer; Ronnie James Dio, kind, humble, and delivered 110% to his last breath. RIP.

2. Cropduster

Cropduster Member

Leslie West - Stay away

3. markedman

markedman Supporting Member

Dimebag was the nicest and most down to earth and Rita took me around with her all day at a festival in Hartford a few years back, took me and my kids back stage to meet MM and Slayer, what a great chick. Alexi Laiho from C.O.B. invited me to drink Grey Goose and Jameson's after a gig in Worchester, MA. Shadows Fall guys were there. Frank Zappa was very chatty with me when I met him back stage at the Palace Theatre while waiting for Grace Slick to show up. He told me to get out of the music business. Ronnie James Dio was always awesome and super friendly. Mastodon's Brann Dailor is off the charts cool. The best place to meet stars is at "The Chance" theatre in Poughkeepsie, NY since there is no back stage. I've met hundreds of rockers there.

4. bearbike137

bearbike137 Supporting Member

Stevie Nicks circa 1979: nicer than nice, cooler than cool.

5. Schafrocks

Schafrocks Member

Same here. Very cool. Amazing player but very humble.

6. picnic

picnic Supporting Member

Bruce Springsteen came to D'Jai's Bar (Belmar NJ) staff picnic back in the early 80's at my picnic grounds. He was friends with the bar owners and was recording the Born in the USA album at the time. He spent most of the day up at the pool sleeping. When he came to the main pavilion for some food, I asked him to wish my Dad Happy Birthday which he did most graciously. Good guy

My sister had dinner with Paul McCartney earlier that same week. Cool RnR week for my family.

Joe Bonamassa opened for Frampton in Red Bank about 15 years ago. Never had heard of him, but he really knocked me out. During the intermission, Joe was selling cd's in the lobby. Just him no helpers. We talked gear for 20 minutes. Nice guy working hard to be a success.

Buddy Whittington was playing with Mayal and they did a show in Red Bank also. Robben Ford was the headliner. After the show was over, I spoke to Buddy since I knew him from the Fender Forum. Sweetheart of a guy and a killer player

Tom Gross likes this.
  7. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

I've met, hung out with King's X a number of times. Great people...
    Had a chance meeting with Lemmy in Boston... Actually bought him drinks and hung out for quite a while, surreal.

8. trower

trower Silver Supporting Member

Dimebag, met him when I parked my bus behind his bus outside his hotel. He pulled up ironically in a Taxi with a Jack in the Box bag moments later and proceeded to give me passes for the night gigs, let me take pictures with him and gave me a quick tour of his bus while his burgers got cold! Total cool guy!

9. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

Had dinner with Richard Thompson. Had dinner with Donovon while he told stories about Hendrix and the Beatles. I told Richie Hayward I loved him at studio. 'I love you man!'
    Fogerty yelled at me in Spanish. Good times.

wattage likes this.
  10. david57strat

david57strat Member

I'm not sure I'd classified either of these guitarist as "Rockstars", but they are both certainly phenomenal guitarists, in my humble opinion.

I suppose, if I had to categorize them, they'd fall in under the Fusion category. I hate categorizing bands or players, though.

A good friend of mine turned me onto Ohm, several years ago, and in September of 2008, I finally got to see them play, live, at the Baked Potato, in Studio City. This was when Kofi Baker was still on drums. "Pag" (Rob Pagliari) is also a phenomenal bassist, in his own right. Watching the two of them play off of each other is unreal.

Met Chris Poland (formerly of Megadeath, for those of you who haven't heard of him), as they played at that Studio City show. Killer show. I was seated maybe eight feet away from him, off to his right (and I was sitting when I took this shot). This is a far departure from his Megadeath days, but the guy can still shred with the best of them. Unreal chops, but no lack of melodic-ism, in his playing - kind of a rare combination. Signature sound.

[​IMG]

There is no bad seat in that tiny venue, and they were cool with photos being taken. I was grateful.

I always drooled over the stuff he used in his rack (The classic Bogner Fish preamp, etc.). Amazing tones. Stellar player, and the nicest guy, when speaking, in person. Very pleasant, and eager to discuss equipment preferences. You could totally geek out with him as he answered questions, kindly and patiently.

[​IMG]

All the right toys, and he sure knew how make them shine. Wonderful pedalboards too, but I never got a shot of those.

Super down-to-earth individual.

I also got the chance to meet legendary fusion player, Frank Gambale. The first time I ever recall seeing him play was with Chick Corea's Elektric band, in the mid-Eighties, at Disneyland, of all places. I wasn't very much into fusion, back then, so I didn't really appreciate his style, until many years later.

I wish I had gotten a picture of him. He wasn't playing that evening, but I met him, after the first break, outside.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  11. keefsdad

keefsdad Member

I haven't really met a lot of big stars or my heroes. Out of the ones I've met I can't think of any that were unpleasant or rude. I did meet Duke Ellington when I was a kid, and Lenny Breau a few times. He was sweet and humble, and a little eccentric of course. I have a note that he wrote me that is one of my most cherished possessions.

BuddyGuit, david57strat and DC1 like this.
  12. ant_riv

ant_riv Supporting Member

As has already been mentioned, BB King and Steve Morse were/are two of the nicest, most humble gentlemen.

david57strat and Tom Gross like this.
  13. Nuclear Plexi

Nuclear Plexi Member

Andy Timmons is very nice. So is Mike Keneally. Brian Beller has a good sense of humor...he fooled me with a fake pick toss (he doesn't use a pick, duh).

I was like a yard away from Mark Hoppus. He just showed up randomly and then ran away. Funny guy.

I guess that is about it.

david57strat likes this.
  14. wattage

wattage Member

Steve Jones
    Alvin Gibbs

15. Don Vito

Don Vito Member

How was Mike Tramp? Still bitching Vito is gone?