The Cornish Approach...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tookermel, Aug 24, 2008.

1. tookermel

tookermel Member

(I accidentally started this thread in another forum.....sorry!)

Some of you guys may have read the May 2008 issue of Guitar Player magazine with "The Ultimate Guide to Pedalboards", and some of you probably haven't. I thumbed through it recently and got intrigued by a section that had an interview with the man himself.

Here's a quote: "My system, which I devised in the early 70's-is to feed the guitar into a fixed high-impedance load that is identical to the amp input, and then distribute the signal to the various effects and amps by low-impedance buffered feeds. This gives a constant signal level and tonal characteristics, which do not change at all when effects are added."

Now, I'm not sure how HE did this, but would this be the same as taking the Zvex Super Hard On, for example, as the first pedal your signal hits (for the high impedance), then placing a buffer (low imp.) as the very next pedal, then adding the rest of your pedals after it?

I've never read on this forum that anyone has tried this, but it sounds good!

I've been recommended the Radial PB-1. I guess this could be done with the drag and gain controls? Sounds pretty good. Can anyone substantiate this?

Thanks,
    -Tookermel

2. jammybastard

jammybastard "I'm losing my edge, but I was there..."

Sounds like a good idea.
    I know pros that do something similar.
    BTW - Radial direct boxes are awesome.
    If anyone here doesn't know about them you should.
    http://www.radialeng.com/re-products.htm

Worth every cent.

3. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Yes, I read that whole issue, good stuff from Bradshaw also, before I put together my recent pedal board. Made me do some things differently this time than in the past. Additional information from a couple of the best in the biz can't be a bad thing.

4. tookermel

tookermel Member

Wonderin' if that Radial PB-1 will do just that. Looks like the drag control will increase the input-impedance, and the drag control controls the buffer amount that's driven to the pedals or cables that follow?

-Tookermel

5. Rid

Rid Senior Member

No no breaking in cables and voodoo bypass is the way to go!!
    Why listen to anyone who knows something??
    :D That just gives everybody no excuse to just play the guitar....
    Off me soapbox again.

6. Wesman61

Wesman61 Supporting Member

There was a thread awhile back about this that got ugly.

7. Rid

Rid Senior Member

This is the twillight zone after all....

8. rollo greb

rollo greb Member

I bet Cornish cables come pre-broken in. He probably even breaks in the wire he uses inside the pedal, so you don't have to do it yourself.

9. Wesman61

Wesman61 Supporting Member

Do His cables come with arrows to show which end goes to the guitar and which goes to the effects?

10. Ben S.

Ben S. Member

I don't think so.
    The way I understand his design philosophy is that he places buffers between each effect so that every effect sees a similar impedance as your pickups so that it reacts like it only sees the guitar on the front and then the output of the effect is connected to the next buffer which has a similar impedance as your amp so that it reacts like it is directly connected to your amp.
    This way every effect turned on reacts like it is the only one connected between guitar and amp.

How he gets all of this to work is beyond my skill or understanding.

11. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

The shrink wrapped sleeves on the plugs are labeled guitar and amp, respectively. I hate to arm the naysayers with such information, because frankly this seems bizarre to me.

I have found that the low impedance output does make a very noticable difference, though.

12. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Supporting Member

I won't do pedals without one. Had less than stellar results with the radial dragster.

YMMV.

13. amz-fx

amz-fx Supporting Member

Which is the same basic philosophy of Boss pedal design... each pedal has a buffer on the input that provides a reliable high Z input and it has a buffer on the output as a line driver. It makes for consistency :)

regards, Jack

14. Stanley

Stanley Supporting Member

Except the Boss pedals suck tone and the Cornish dont :)

15. Ben S.

Ben S. Member

Also, this part of his boards and systems is so that the guitar always reacts as if it is plugged directly into the amp no matter how many effects are engaged.

Yeah, and his stuff does not suck tone.

16. kakev

kakev Member

Propably that's got to do with the grounding of shield aroung the wire(s). I might be grounded only in the other end of the cable.

17. Stanley

Most high end cables are directional!

18. kakev

kakev Member

And the reason being? I think that electrons on the surface of a conducting matter don't care about direction!

19. tookermel

tookermel Member

Maybe Mark from LavaCable could chime in on this one...

-Tookermel

20. Stanley

Yep though the thread title doesnt really help to grab a cable guy like Marks attention!! I will start a new thread!!