The Cult - Love

voodoosound

Funk & Grooven member
Gold Supporting Member
Loved it back in the day. Was so disappointed by the follow up Electric. I wanted more Love.
Agreed. I was in a prog metal band at the time that put as much distance as possible between the late 80s “wanna be metal“ schlock at the time. I was excited when electric came out because the cult was so unique. Extremely disappointed that at the time they seemed to dumb themselves down to an ac dc tribute band. It took me almost a decade to come around to that album. while I now think it’s a great album. I still feel like they lost their unique style from love. Sonic temple was ok. I kind of lost interest in their follow up stuff. But love is so good. That I go seethem every time they are around. Last i saw them they played locally for the 30th anniversary of love. Did nothing but the whole album plus extended tracks from the album. Perfect show.

sh4rkbyt31

Never got to see them Live but my bro-in-law has many times, he said they were perfect everytime also. I did however purchase one of the Gretsch Billy Duffy White Falcons and can say I have zero regrets. Now if I can just catch up with the Black version of it.
Also have a ton of Billy's auto'd photos from his website and have become somewhat friendly - acquaintances with his personal photographer (MP) who has also sent me a few personal items you'll never find for sale on Ebay :). "Love" was simply the perfect album release at the perfect time! Also their best IMO but Sonic Temple was them growing into rock stars!

sh4rkbyt31

20200703_152206.jpg

Doug Pratt

They have the Teddy Boy look down. Nice to see an homage to that obscure late-60s English subculture, and especially to Ansley Dunbar, Alex Dmochowski, Victor Brox and Tommy Eyre...underappreciated musicians, much respected by Peter Green who played on After The Game with them. Back to The Cult, they remind me of Gretta Van Fleet. Good music, flamboyant stage presence, interesting once or twice but nuthin' new. -Doug Pratt, Atlanta, Georgia, USA (former Mancunian).

Highway Jones

Silver Supporting Member
Electric is my all-time favorite, no-frills guitar tone but I also appreciate the use of chorus/phase/flange that Love brings. I have yet to purchase any 5.1 surround format for music but Love seems like it would be a great candidate for that mix.

Strummerfan

I saw the Cult twice in my youth. The first time was at a dive bar called Larry's Hideaway. I had to use a fake ID to get in, I was only around 16, but I was already 6" tall, and got into most bars. They played to about 20 people, and as they were leaving the stage, the club's manager said "there's a band that will never be booked here again." A year later I saw the Love tour at a 12,000 seat venue that was packed to the rafters. Great show. They introduced a new song, Ian said "this is the first time we've ever played this live". It was Love Removal Machine. I remember Jamie Stewart being just as good a showman as Duffy and Astbury. I learned to play She Sells Sanctuary when I was 17 through a guitar mag transcription, and I still play it from time to time. Easy riff, but still a great hook. The album Dreamtime from 84 has a song called horse nation that I absolutely love. After Electric I sort of grew away from them, but they are still a fond memory of my youth.

Slo Lerner

Somewhere between Bauhaus & Tones on Tail.
Check out Faith, when they were using the name Southern Death Cult.
I still have it on cassette. Good stuff though they hadn’t quite got there yet. I heard but never owned the ‘Death Cult’ transitional stuff, I only ever saw it on vinyl and I didn’t have a turntable at the time. I think Dreamtime is where they started to figure it out and develop their own sound. I love ‘em

great album, and I certainly dig their earlier work for sure, but honestly, in my opinion they didn't really come alive as a band until their later work. just my humble take on the band. as for Billy Duffy, my feelings on him and his style and the evolution of his sound coincides with how I feel about the band as a whole. listen to his work on the Love record (which is great, and ift what they were doing at the time), and then listen to his work on the self-titled album, which is like a muscular punch to the face. its like night & day. when it comes to pure tone, his I think is the best of the best. pure rock & roll perfection.

Last edited:

Slo Lerner

Killer album. But Electric is their best work and one song from being the greatest rock record of all time. The Born to be Wild cover wrecks it. Ugh. Was that Rick's fault?
Electric is a killer album. Born to be Wild is the only weak track on there imo

Top Bottom