1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

The Cure - Play For Today live - effect used? (vid included))

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Zillie, May 18, 2011.

1. Zillie

Zillie Member

2. GlobalCooling

GlobalCooling Member

The Internet is telling me he uses Cornish effects.

3. seiko

seiko Member

Cornish made his touring board but the sound may not be Cornish effects, if you see what I mean. The basic sound here is a fuzz into a flanger, he was using a TC chorus/flanger thing for a good while.

If you wanted to replicate the sound I suspect you could try a skinny fuzz sound (fuzz factory, c-bread manx thingy etc, swollen pickle with bass rolled off etc.) into that TC vortex flanger as a starting point.

4. GaryE

GaryE Member

Sounds like a Phaser to me...

5. Holy Schnikes

Holy Schnikes Member

Which means he paid a whole bunch of $$ to have his Boss stuff rehoused and wired...The Cure uses mainly Boss effects, I'm sure those tones could be achieved going that route.

Who on TGP uses Boss though?? If anyone does, I'm sure they're hidden in a rehouse like that FUGLY Cornish stuff, just too shameful to have 'em out in the open.

6. kelvinator60

kelvinator60 Member

I love Robert Smith. I remember a guitar player interview where they asked him about effects and he said he liked the Boss pedals because of the colors they came in! LOL that's great.

(raises hand) TGP member and Boss owner operator here.

7. Holy Schnikes

Holy Schnikes Member

Ha, that Robert Smith "color" logic is awesome, love that guy too!!

I know Boss gets slammed a lot but I've seen a bunch of my favorite bands using them live due to durability and ease of tracking down replacements if needed. The Cure (and many others) wrangle some great tones from those pedals.

8. kelvinator60

kelvinator60 Member

Prince is another long time devoted Boss user.

9. flyonthewall150

flyonthewall150 Supporting Member

Dunno what Porl is using now. He has a huge pedalboard. It sounds like phaser in that video. But back in 1989-1991 he was using a TC Electronic SCF Chorus/Flanger

10. Zillie

Zillie Member

Robert Smith is definitely Boss user but I'm not so sure about Porl. Here is his board (including TC SCF):

[​IMG]

The video is from the show I was watching on TV yesterday and there was lot of flanging (and it was obvious that it is a flanger) but this tune was different... maybe different settings or above mentioned fuzz or phaser but phaser never gets so metallic...

11. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

Personally, I'd swear that it's a Boss PH-2 Super Phaser in 'mode II' for that more intense (10-stage?) phasing. I've played with one of those before for ultra-compressed lead sounds (phase AFTER the dirt pedal).

12. Ronitor

Ronitor Member

No idea what he is using there, but I love that song. We used to cover that, using a boss super phaser and ch1 with an rv3 set on delay, a ts9 and a half cocked wah at times made me really happy tone wise back in the 90's for my porl parts.

13. ChorusCrackpot

ChorusCrackpot Member

I use some Boss pedals. They aren't hidden in Cornish enclosures, and I am very pleased to have them out in the open.

14. ChorusCrackpot

ChorusCrackpot Member

I guess it's a fuzz pedal with a mid-scoopy & bright sound, into a flanger. There might be two flangers used at the same time too.