The Danelectro Clone List

I think it would be handy to assemble a list of all of the Danelectro pedal models and what they are clones of. I figured a lot of other people here would find this useful as well, and I was hoping y'all could help me out. I'd like to do the discontinued ones as well, since they're all so easy to come by, generally. I'll kick it off, and I'll update the OP as more info comes in.

Supposed Clones
Transparent OD v1 - Paul C Timmy
Daddy-O Overdrive - Marshall Guv'nor
Cool Cat Drive - Fulltone OCD
Fish n Chips - Boss GE-7 (?)
Dano French Toast Octave Fuzz= Foxx Tone Machine- (possibly same pedal designer for both, according to Bluedano1)
Dano Cool Cat Fuzz V.1 = Frantone Peachfuzz
FAB 1 Distortion - Boss DS-1
FAB 2 Overdrive - Nadine Overdrive
FAB Tone Distortion - Boss MT-2

*Edit* - Added the (hopefully) complete list of Dano effects from the Wikipedia page as an easy reference. If you see something on the list that is a supposed clone and not already noted above, let us know!

Original effects
Daddy O. Overdrive
Cool Cat Chorus
FAB Tone Distortion
Dan-Echo Simulated Tape Echo
Dan-O-Matic Tuner

FAB effects

FAB 1 Distortion
FAB 2 Overdrive
FAB 3 Metal
FAB 4 Echo
FAB Flanger
FAB Chorus
FAB Fuzz
FAB Delay

Mini effects
Pastrami Overdrive
T-Bone Distortion
BLT Slap Echo
Corned Beef Reverb
Tuna Melt Tremolo
Hash Browns Flanger
Pepperoni Phaser
Milkshake Chorus
Surf and Turf Compressor
Grilled Cheese Distortion
Pedal Tuner
Chili Dog Octave
Fish and Chips 7-Band EQ
Chicken Salad Vibrato
French Toast Octave Distortion
PB&J Delay
Rocky Road Spinning Speaker
Black Coffee Metal Distortion
French Fries Auto-Wah
Black Licorice Beyond Metal

Vintage effects
Reel Echo
Spring King

Paisley effects (discontinued)
Blue Paisley PureDrive
Black Paisley Liquid Metal

Wasabi effects
Wasabi Overdrive
Wasabi Distortion
Wasabi Rock-A-Bye
Wasabi Forward-Reverse Delay
Wasabi Chorus-Trem

Miscellaneous effects
Shift Daddy
Trip-L Wah
Dan-O-Wah
Free Speech Talk Box
Psycho Flanger
Sitar Swami
Back Talk Reverse Delay

Cool Cat effects
Tremolo
Vibe
Metal
Fuzz
Fuzz V2
Drive
Drive V2
Transparent Overdrive
Transparent Overdrive V2
Distortion
Metal II
Chorus

Last edited:
I've said it a 100 times -- I A/B'd the Timmy and TOD v1 and the sound was quite different. :horse
I guess the way I'm using the word "clone" here is more for the purposes of intended design than accurate result. If you build a pedal attempting to replicate something else, and it doesn't turn out to be a dead on replacement for it, it's still a "clone" in the way I'm using it here.

theGhost

"Cool Cat Drive" is an OCD clone

and I saw a guy in the emporium listed a "Cool Cat Distortion" as a Crunchbox clone, but I can't verify that.

Bluedano1

I've said it a 100 times -- I A/B'd the Timmy and TOD v1 and the sound was quite different. :horse
Hasn't it been determined (even by Paul C) that the two can be made to sound like each other? Also, I even remember reading in a TOD vs.Timmy thread ( a few years ago) where someone stated he had both, liked the TOD tone better than the Timmy, but liked the layout of the Timmy box/controls better etc. and Paul C even recommended a component swap for the Timmy to sound more like the Dano.

Bluedano1

Other Dano clones:

Dano French Toast Octave Fuzz= Foxx Tone Machine- (same pedal designer for both I think)
Dano Daddy-O = Marshall Guv'nor OD/Distortion
Dano Cool Cat Fuzz V.1 = Frantone Peachfuzz

enocaster

I guess the way I'm using the word "clone" here is more for the purposes of intended design than accurate result. If you build a pedal attempting to replicate something else, and it doesn't turn out to be a dead on replacement for it, it's still a "clone" in the way I'm using it here.
Neat. Doesn't change the fact that they are almost the same circuit.
I get that, and there are certainly many implications related to circuit copying.

BUT, I think it's vitally important to mention what I did because gear is ultimately about making a certain sound. Circuit originality, cosmetics, build quality, ergonomics, price, etc. are all factors, but if the sound isn't happening they are moot. In stock form, the 2 pedals in question sounded quite different to my ear -- to simply say one is a clone of the other without noting this does a disservice to both the builder and consumer. Say someone is interested in buying a Timmy. They get a chance to try a friends Dano TOD v1 and don't care for the sound -- why would they buy a Timmy after that? They'll miss out on a different sounding pedal that may be just what they are looking for.

Reactions: PRW

voorhiessa

great thread.......I've actually wondered about a "list" for a while.

What is the Fab Distortion (red one) based off of?
What about the Rocky Road?

Please dont turn this into a clone debate. Just say "supposed clone"......we get it.. There are already enough of those threads. If that happens to this thread, I suggest that the OP just nuke it and start over.

Last edited:
I get that, and there are certainly many implications related to circuit copying.

BUT, I think it's vitally important to mention what I did because gear is ultimately about making a certain sound. Circuit originality, cosmetics, build quality, ergonomics, price, etc. are all factors, but if the sound isn't happening they are moot. In stock form, the 2 pedals in question sounded quite different to my ear -- to simply say one is a clone of the other without noting this does a disservice to both the builder and consumer. Say someone is interested in buying a Timmy. They get a chance to try a friends Dano TOD v1 and don't care for the sound -- why would they buy a Timmy after that? They'll miss out on a different sounding pedal that may be just what they are looking for.
That's a fair point, and it's good that you made it in a thread like this. But I don't want to derail the thread too much. I started it out of curiosity rather than to assemble a list of cheap alternatives to other people's circuits. Additionally, some of Dano's purported clones are of vintage circuits that are out of production anyway. And for what it's worth, I have a Timmy and not a TOD v1, and I'm really glad I do. It's one of the best pedals I've ever played.

Bluedano1

great thread.......I've actually wondered about a "list" for a while.

What is the Fab Distortion (red one) based off of?
What about the Rocky Road?

Please dont turn this into a clone debate. Just say "supposed clone"......we get it.. There are already enough of those threads.

I remember when the Dano FABs came out and they were reviewed by the British "Guitar and Bass" mag (I loved this mag, but it just cost too much now), I think the reviewer mentioned (just passing on the Dano press blurb) that the silver Dano FAB Overdrive was a "clone" of a "NADINE", an obscure dirt pedal made in the '70's for a NYC Music Store...and there was a similar story about the red FAB Distortion (which I own)

orogeny

actually, if you take the chip that's in the tod and put it in the timmy. . . they'll sound quite the same. . . .

dano just changed the chip.

I added a complete list of Danelectro pedals to the OP for easy reference. I knew there were a lot of them, but I was still surprised when I saw the list. Surely these are not all original designs - any more clone info out there?

johann

when the originals were released I read in sme magazine that the cool cat chorus was a boss ce2 design

Wesman61

"Cool Cat Drive" is an OCD clone

and I saw a guy in the emporium listed a "Cool Cat Distortion" as a Crunchbox clone, but I can't verify that.
I saw that too and felt like saying something but TGP rules prohibit us from keeping people from being deceived by BS claims. Since the Crunch Box doesn't have a bass control that would obviously not be the case. I reversed about half the circuit a while back and what I saw of it was definitely not a CB clone.

doc

Supporting Member
Hoping some one will chime in with the circuits the Cool Cat Vibe and Tremelo are based on.

theGhost

I saw that too and felt like saying something but TGP rules prohibit us from keeping people from being deceived by BS claims. Since the Crunch Box doesn't have a bass control that would obviously not be the case. I reversed about half the circuit a while back and what I saw of it was definitely not a CB clone.
It's probably good that you shouldn't. I got a warning one time for commenting on somebody's thread kinda sarcastically like that. First time and a mod put a freaking warning on me that I think is still in effect (and said "incident" happened over a year ago). Ridiculous.

Trending Topics