The Day my Muff left my board ...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Axeaholic, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Axeaholic

Axeaholic Supporting Member

So it's been a while now I've been playing around my board and like all of you, I've been on my personal tonequest to see what was my thing vs ... the artists I idolize ...

And as pedals have come and gone I've always kept my Big Muff around, but as the '' final '' board started taking shape ... I progressively became aware of my love for low gain transparent pedals and my increasing distate for pedals that just send everything to gain-kingdom-come.

Maybe it was reflection on my playing, as a player who listens to allot of Sonic Youth, Explosions in the sky, Kings of Conveniance, Boards of Canada, Stereolab etc ... etc ...

I realized I was using the Muff less and less ... even some of my '' Gilmour '' tone admiration spilled over into the Cornish G-2 and it's more of a lite Muff tone with a taste of Germanium OD ...

So eventually the Muff came off all together and in comes a Marshall Bluesbreaker to play with my Reeves Custom Amp

Next thing you know I have a board full of lite OD's and Delay pedals, and gone is my taste for 90's Disto ...

Anyone here go through the same process ? I noticed going through the Pedal-board thread, few of you actually use Muffs !

2. Axeaholic

Axeaholic Supporting Member

Btw the new board looks like this ( will post pics soon once I geta good camera ! )

Fender '69 Strat -}

Cornish G-2 -} Analogman NKT-275 Sunface -} Analogman BC-108 Sunface -} Durham Sex-Drive -} Klon Centaur -} Colorsound Overdriver -} Keeley BD-2 -} Analogman Compressor -} Voodoo Micro-Vibe -} Keeley AD-9 -} Empress Super Delay -}

-} Reeves Custom 50 / Marshall Bluesbreaker

3. Dog Boy

Dog Boy Member

It moves in a circle....
    I'm currently going thu a "lose the ODs in favor of Fuzz's" cycle.
    Only thing for certain is that Reeve's will serve you well in the pedal dept! Everything sounds great thru it.

4. benjammin

benjammin Member

The muff left my board the day I cut my hair and stopped wearing black all the time :)

5. sleepingtiger

sleepingtiger Supporting Member

My Big Muff is the only distortion/OD on my board. With a Road King II, I can get just about any natural distortion I want, but for that smooth, ultra-compressed liquid tone, the BM is the only thing that works for me.

Tony
    PS - I'm 51 & while I have cut my hair, I still wear mostly black, hehe!:eek:

6. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

It's not a process, it's a cycle.