• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

The Daylighter Bass

dougk

Gold Supporting Member
I get requests for basses from time to time and occasionally I have to subject the poor world to my own bass playing... so I figure its time to do a Daylighter bass.

Here's the concept. 6 bolt neck, 30, 32 or 34" scale length options all using the same body (ie, all reconfigured in the neck), LOTS of pickup options already drawn.. for me I'm a P/J fan so thats how I'm doing mine.

First production body:

Have a couple variants in the works, both pop's and pops-in-law want basses too. I'm building mine as a 32" which is a scale both myself and my wife are fans of.

Thought I'd share, should be a fun build.

dougk

Gold Supporting Member
Waiting for the formica one. :)
LOL love it! I'll have to do one soon I think.

Killer man. 6 Bolts and a recessed plate.
Looks great. Any reason for a bolt on neck style?
Yep, I designed it to interchange amongst 3 different scale lengths (and really then fretted / faux fretted). Honestly, as a bass I just didn't see the need for it to be a set neck anyways. Plus there is one upside, the body is already in the spray booth (I forgot how nice that is about bolt ons!) :rotflmao:rotflmao

dougk

Gold Supporting Member
more pics! we gotta see 'em!
Got the TV Black done yesterday. Tried a new technique that ended up a little more subdued on the white filler.... probably will go back to the old way in the future but thats why I build test project guitars ;) I promise I'll have a picture tomorrow.

dougk

Gold Supporting Member
Pulled the bass from the booth to see if my neck mockup fits. It does.

Paul gives the thumbs up!

So the headstock I've redesigned a bit since routing it to give it a wider peak at the ears and a bit more arc. Otherwise, about ready to run some actual maple.

dougk

Gold Supporting Member
Any more updates, Doug?

She's coming together nicely!
Finally pulled some maple for the neck, just haven't had a chance to get back to work on it. Pesky customers like Big Mike just really want their guitars :roll:roll:roll:roll

This week I'm hoping to get back to work on it. I'm out of truss rod anchors too (its the only one I use a single action rod on so I didn't have all the parts on hand)

dougk

Gold Supporting Member
Since my entire crew is out with the flu (lucky us) thought I'd do some work on the Bass today.

Now this is the 32" "conversion neck" techincally. The body is designed around the 34" scale length but I personally prefer 32". What I did was make all the adjustment in the neck so that you could easily change this back to a 34" with simply a new neck. What that does mean is the 32" is only 19 frets which for me... is just fine.

big mike

Cathode biased
Platinum Supporting Member
Big pimpin right there
Gotta get my bass player to write a check.....

dougk

Gold Supporting Member
Finally wrapped this guy up, just in time for our open house BBQ.

6 bolt, flushed in neck plate

It was promptly stolen at the BBQ and played by everyone!

OK- so impressions! Over all I'm beyond pleased. This is the Spanish Cedar body AND the 32" scale and it sounded just fantastic. Tight, punchy, immensely strong but clear mid range, no farting, thuddy or overly sharpness. Seemed to be well received.

Pickups are Klein Pickups P-neck with his 10% overwound J bridge. Setup was Volume - Blender - Tone. Balance between both pickups was perfect. Weight is 8lbs on the nose.

Trending Topics