The Dead Announce Spring Tour

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by tdarian, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Alligator > jam

Alligator > jam Member

There have been a few here who have said it well, so I won't pile on.

I will simply add my opinion that Warren is not who I would want to see here, while noting that I absolutely love his work with Mule and ABB.

2. thirstypirate

thirstypirate Member

I never heard that Jerry quote before, but I would really be interested to hear CS play with the boys.

3. osoloco69

osoloco69 Member

It was in an older interview during the '80's I believe. I think the question was something like "do you think that there is anyone else that could have lead the grateful dead? Jer said Carlos fairly quickly. Maybe Carlos will come out for one of the shows at shoreline as a special guest, and maybe warren could take the night off :)

4. dB

dB Member

Kimock would be a great choice as a guitarist, but don't forget, they need a singer as well. Say what you want about Warren, but he is the only guy to fill the post-Jerry spot that has been able to capture the emotion in his delivery of Jerry's tunes.

5. Goldstrat

Goldstrat Member

I'm not a big Dead fan but I enjoyed Jackie Greene at Bonaroo last year with PAF. That young man can play and sing. I saw Ratdog with the Allman brothers last summer and I thought the guitar playing was very good but the tone was way too bright and it bothered me the whole concert. I am happy for all the fans who will enjoy the shows and talk endlessly about it for years.

6. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Member

Warren brings the bluesy Pigpen vibe to the group too. Which is a very good thing, IMO.

7. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

If you want to hear GE Smith cutting on Dead and ABB, check out Great Caesar's Ghost. A pal of mine since age 12, Ray Penney, also plays guitar with the band. He is an unbelievably tasty player. Well-rounded, too (also check out his classical guitar albums, Goodnight Guitar and Good Morning Guitar, aimed at kids but wonderful for adults, as well).

[​IMG]
    This is Ray:

[​IMG]

Eddie DiCapua, another Massapequa High School friend, is one of the two drummers:

[​IMG]

8. osoloco69

osoloco69 Member

"Say what you want about Warren, but he is the only guy to fill the post-Jerry spot that has been able to capture the emotion in his delivery of Jerry's tunes."
    -Sure, that slow sloppy doped out kinda emotion....if you mean that they add a he's gone to almost every setlist with warren then ok I guess there's emotion. It seems more of the crowd to me. When I think of warren I think of shine on you crazy...uh..umm..ton's of..no wait flubbing a west la dopeaway....

"Warren brings the bluesy Pigpen vibe to the group too. Which is a very good thing, IMO"
    -you mean pig on the verge of death, when it had all gone downhill, maybe that at best. you're comparing apples to dog turds, not oranges here. give pig some credit. Warren belongs as a side act for WSP doing the mule thing, not ruining acid trips for loyal deadheads with his guitarbage.

9. mprvise

mprvise Member

10. Lotis

Lotis Silver Supporting Member

Garcialess GD = Beatles without Lennon. No way. I think Warren Haynes is over exposed and a bit generic. I don't get him. That being said there is a LOT of things I don't get.

11. wire 247

wire 247 Member

From what I understand both Jimmy Herring and Kimock had issues with phils wife or more like she had issues with them and wouldn't let it rest and apparently they were petty issues anybody that knows Jimmy knows he is a very easygoing and laidback person, I always thought it was strange.....

12. kwaves99

kwaves99 Member

There must have been some weird mojo going on during the Fall 1999 tour. Not only did Steve leave the tour but I believe that Steve Parish and Ramrod, 2 longtime GD roadies who were working the tour got fired right before Steve left. Apparently Jill Lesh is a bit of a heavy handed control freak. Too bad.......apparently none of the issues between Steve and Phil were musical.

13. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Member

Once again, I'm glad to basically be told my opinion is wrong. Thanks for setting me straight! :AOK

14. osoloco69

osoloco69 Member

Jill = Yoko of the Dead!!!

15. orogeny

orogeny Member

i get my fix from splintered sunlight and the dark star orchestra.

nuff said.

SOMEONE or two MUST pull the garcia role in a deadish band. that goes for the guitar PRIMARILY, and the soulful vox RIGHT behind.

those two bands above fit the bill better than all others working. . . . for ME